Brachioplasty swelling

katier825
on 3/1/14 8:10 am

I was supposed to have my brachioplasty done at the same time as my LBL, but due to complications, he wasn't able to safely do the arms at the same time. 

I am curious how much swelling is associated with brachioplasty.  I wasn't concerned about the arms so much since I was going to be off work for a month, but now doing it separately, I'll only be off about 10 days.  I know my dr. uses ace wraps for a week or two.  Did you feel you wanted compression longer than that?  I ask because with the LBL, I was only required to wear the compression garments for 8 weeks, but I am more comfortable with them, and still have quite a bit of swelling, so I continue (I'm 12 weeks out).  I was wondering if it would be the same with the arms.  I didn't know if I should be prepared to get any of the arm compression garments to use after I go back to work. I imagine they would be easier to get on than the wraps (unless I get up at 4:30 and have hubby put them on daily - LOL).

Any other helpful hints for this procedure?

TeashaLorna
on 3/1/14 11:26 pm - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

I wore my compression garment on my arms for six weeks. It just felt better and kept the swelling to a mininum. The garment I had was like sleeves with an elastic running across my shoulders and a velcro closing in the front. If you can get it in black it just looks like you are wearing a long sleeved shirt under your clothes. I would be very careful not to split your incisions if you are going back to work. I was told to do nothing for three weeks and keep my arms elevated on pills at night when I slept. I was to lift nothing more than a lb for the for the first six weeks. What type of work do you do?

Dr Ponce de Leon Mexico     VSG 4 Jun 12. I lost 57 lbs on my own before having a VSG. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

katier825
on 3/2/14 12:59 am

I've been looking at different types of compression garments.  How do you gauge what size to get?  Do I go by pre-op or post op measurements?  It would be nice to order ahead of time if possible.

I have a desk job and don't need to lift anything.  There are people around that can lift or reach if something came up. I will prepare my work area before I go out so that what I need is within easy reach.  My incisions won't go very far into my armpits, so that will be better for healing too I think.

TeashaLorna
on 3/3/14 2:18 am - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

Mine is a large they are quite tight. I am 5 foot 4 and weight 144 lbs and wear medium and small tops. Size 10 blouses that are big but need it for the bust. I don't know if that narrows it down at all. 

Dr Ponce de Leon Mexico     VSG 4 Jun 12. I lost 57 lbs on my own before having a VSG. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

katier825
on 3/5/14 10:41 am

From what I've seen online, the size is based on bicep measurement.  I did ok with selecting a size pre-op for the spanx when I had my LBL, but wasn't sure if I'd have the same luck with the arm compression garments.  They are so expensive, I don't want to get stuck with $100 garment that doesn't fit.

Most Active