Question about Panniculectomy and Age

darlingdeb
on 10/21/13 1:16 am - OH

Hi - I have an appointment tomorrow with a Plastic Surgeon about a panni.  I am 60 years old and wondered if there was anyone else that was around that age and had the surgery.  How was the pain?   How long did it take for recovery and back to work?  Were you happy that you had the surgery?  Did you consider your age before you had the surgery?  Any advice or information would be appreciated.  Thanks - debbie

jeterway
on 10/21/13 4:54 am
i was 55 when i started with my plastics work. i did not have a panni but i had a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction from my abdomen - i have the brca1 gene mutation - so 90% of a tummy tuck. I have since had a thigh lift and an arm lift. And of course I am not getting any younger. The pain through all of these was not bad. A few days where I needed pain pills perhaps a few more nights just to sleep all of the way through. I never gave my age a thought other than i wanted to live longer. It really depends on how you feel. You deserve to enjoy the freedom of being away from the sagging panni if you think you can make it through some rough days. Compression garments make the next few weeks a little uncomfortable but not painful in any way. I have the ability to work from home, so i was back to work in a matter of days and back in the office in a matter of 3 weeks I think for the abdominal work. i have no regrets about doing any of this work.

JoAnn

darlingdeb
on 10/21/13 5:48 am - OH

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.  This helps me in giving me information for making my decision on whether to have this surgery.             debbie

proudauntie
on 10/22/13 6:07 am - Honolulu, HI

I had gastric by-pass when I was 56.  Two years later  I had a tummy tuck then over the next 2 years I had a face, arm, breast, butt, and thigh lifts.  Was there pain yes was it worth it YES.  My suggestion is to work hard to get your core in shape - try pilates or yoga.  It will make your recovery so much easier - getting in and out of bed.  I was out of work for 3 weeks and then worked half days the first week I went back.  I started walking about 2 weeks after the surgery but couldn't go back to pilates for 6 weeks.  I had a pain pump inserted during the surgery which released pain medication for the first 48 hours.  Take whatever pain medication is offered - it makes your recovery easier but be careful not to overdue.  Pain medication frequently causes constipation so makes sure to start taking a stool softener the right after your surgery.  I'm in better shape now that I was when I was in my late 20s so age hasn't been an issue.  Good luck to you.

darlingdeb
on 10/23/13 2:24 am - OH

Thank you so much for your reply.  This really answered my questions.  I went to the Surgeon yesterday and she is sending the information to the Insurance Company for approval.  I guess we will see if insurance will pay for the panni.   Again thanks so much for sharing your experience with me.   debbie

cleos_mom
on 10/22/13 9:29 am - phila., PA

I had a hysterectomy n tummy tuck at the same time in 2008 and I was 56 at the time.i have a high pain tolerance so can't ask me about pain cause it wasn't bad , after that I had a blepharoplasty, face lift, brachioplasty, thigh lift, butt lift , back/bra fat removed I basically had everything done except my boobs. The easiest was the arms the worst to was the thighs, would I do it again u bet and now I m 61

good luck to u

Susan

MyBariatricLife
on 10/22/13 10:28 am

You may not be a candidate for the muscle plication at your age. The fascia is often thin and the intestines are right below that. You do not want your surgeon sewing into them! I learned this from my surgeon, Dr. Capella, who has done more body work on MWL patients than any other surgeon in the world. So I would take that as good advice and ask a few surgeons about the muscle plication at your age and condition. Be sure you are completely confident in who you choose or keep looking until you are. Good luck!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

darlingdeb
on 10/23/13 3:04 am - OH

Thanks so much for the information.    debbie

Crazeru
on 10/29/13 5:39 am

I was almost 55 when I had my DS, it was painful, but I have a low pain tolerance.  I had an LBL, BL, arms, and sm thigh (inside groin area only) and 4 days later a full neck & face lift at 58 and I went back at 60 for an upper body lift.  I'm 61 and I am so glad that I now look as normal as I feel.  No regrets at all.  I did take 8 weeks for for my DS, and the body work, but only had 3 weeks off for the UBL, I was fine going back to work.  Most of my PS was relatively pain free, tightness and being uncomfortable, but more pain from the neck lift and the chin strap pushing my ears back along the stitches, only time I took pain meds...

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Most Active