Any experience with Cosmed Clinic in Tijuana?

Sleeveless
on 10/13/13 11:19 am - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Hello there. Has anyone used Cosmed Clinic in Tijuana for their plastics? I'm wondering if I should use them for my procedures. I want to get a tummy tuck, bra line back lift, bracheoplasty, and mast openly, along with a couple of spots of lipo.

I'm a little leery of dealing with complications and follow-up with a doctor outside the U.S., but I have heard their work is good and prices are affordable.

Thank you in advance for any info you can share!

Savvy

Reel
on 10/14/13 11:03 am

I met with Dr. Quiroz  - of CosMed the weekend of the OH Conference . He appeared very attentive and responsive to my questions and seemed to an expert in his field. I stripped bucket a$$ naked in the hotel (damned near in the lobby with only a partician), and let him mark up my body with a Red Sharpie! I also went to his seminar / session (in our break-out groups). I am exploring both he and another plastic surgeon in Mexico. I am convinced that the same things that can go wrong in Mexico, can also go wrong in the United States. So Mexico is not even a point of apprehension for me. Rather, it is the doctor's experience, skills, and work that I am concerned about. In addition to infection control issues.  Best Wishes!

pineview01
on 11/11/13 10:33 am - Davison, MI

I did the same at the last OH conference!  Than I posted asking on here and was pm'd by those warning me off.  I had been 100% ready to go.  Than I started dealing with Carolina, I couldn't get her to give me straight answers to my questions.  I decided if I couldn't even get answers pre-op I didn't want to try post-op.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Sleeveless
on 10/14/13 12:53 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I do realize that complications can happen anywhere, but I worry about being far away from my surgeon in case I need anything.

Still, this might be the route I go in, since it seems more affordable.  Percentage-wise, would you mind sharing how much you will save by going to Mexico?

Thank you again!

Reel
on 10/15/13 6:35 am

Well, I've had a grand total of 5 Plastic surgery quotes and consultations. 3 consults in the USA, and 2 in Mexico.  Mexico will afford me roughly 50% less in total costs. This means that if you are the kind of person as many are - who want a total body makeover, you can pretty much get "everything" on your body adjusted, for about a little more than cost of a "tummy tuck" here in the United States. I'm only interested in a Tummy Tuck and Arm lift, at this time. Later (when I get out of debt), I'll explore a breast and thigh lift. I do not want to accrue massive amounts of debt. I just cant. I'm singe, and my excellent credit has afforded me to do things that many others are unable to do. Therefore, I do not wish to ruin my credit by having expensive surgeries here in the USA. In addition

Here's some things that I considred:

If you have horrible results here in the United States, you can still be refused additional treatment. 

By the time a surgeon is effected by a lawsuit for malpractice in the United States, it will be years and years from the date of the actual "butchered" job. Heck, he may have even retired by then.

There is no place (that I know of) in the United States that provides up to 12 (all inclusive) days of aftercare facilitated by a rounding nurse.  I believe that Cosmed advised that their aftercare (24 hour care) is roughly $150 a day. That's still a STEAL when it comes to care, and meals are included at CosMed.

I'm personally exploring surgery with another surgeon in Mexico, as he has consistently had positive ratings, and his costs are somewhat less expensive than Cosmed, in that everything is all inclusive (except for food). Both Surgeons have Pros and Cons though. Travel Distance and such etc. Both surgeons appear to be at least as good surgeons as as anyone here in the USA, and they provide essential aftercare. I am single and I live alone so aftercare is very attractive to me. 

Best wishes! Continue to research! I was pretty much sold on Cosmed until I learned about the other doctor. However, if things were to have "fallen through"  with the other doctor,  my 2nd choice would be Dr. Quiroz at CosMed. I do trust them. 

Best Wishes. 

Highest Weight: 314, Pre-Op Weight: 294, Surgical Weight: 279, 1st Goal Weight: 170, 2nd Goal Weight: 155, Current Weight:163

Sleeveless
on 10/15/13 9:01 am - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Thank you so much for all the helpful information. This really helps!

I wish you all the best in selecting a surgeon and getting the fabulous results you want and deserve.

Best,

Savvy

cleos_mom
on 10/15/13 12:50 pm - phila., PA

Try dr Sauceda in MX, from what i have seen stay away from Dr quiroz

Sleeveless
on 10/15/13 3:11 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Thank you for this input! I have heard that Dr. Sauceda is good.

Iam_with_the_Band
on 10/15/13 4:40 pm

I know 3 people personally who have gone to Dr Quiroz.  I would not send my dog to that man.  Two of these people, I met in a support group.  I was talking about Dr Sauceda and they said they were going to Dr Q.  I told him, what I knew from another person who had a near death experience there and he had no equipment for her emergency situation.  One told me I was insane and very rude to speak about Dr Q the way I did.  I was only repeating my friends' story.   She had internal bleeding.  She went on further to tell me that she was going to Dr Q, she had met him and was very impressed.  She and her friend went.

Two months later, I got a call from that woman.  The same one who was very angry with me for my opinion.  She told me a horrific story - she told me about incision lines that were very asymmetrical, and how bad the result of their surgery was.  She told me how her friend - the one I met that night had almost died with the same internal bleeding the other person had.  She told me that she wished she had not been so rude to me and she apologized.

Medical Tourism is not for everyone.  The first key is finding a surgeon with a record of very happy and healthy post op patients.  If you find one who is not happy, investigate the story.  Most likely - it is a very big red flag.  Do not go to that person!

The second key is finding a PCP in the states, in your city who is willing and able to assist you should  you have a complication post op.  Complications happen with plastic surgery.  Some are minor and some are major.  IF your medical insurance refuses to pay for plastics.  They can refuse to pay for any complication following plastics.  That includes if you have your surgery in the states.  Do your due diligence.  Don't settle for someone just because the price is right.  This is your body.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Sleeveless
on 10/15/13 4:56 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Thank you so much for telling me this story. I will definitely do more research. I'm glad you had a better experience than those poor women.

Most Active