Binder/Compression Recommendations?

Julie R.
on 7/29/13 9:34 am - Ludington, MI

i had my two week post-op hernia/abdominoplasty/panni check-up, and my doctor is very pleased with my progress.   My drains have been pulled, and I feel like a new woman.    He recommended I wear a binder another four weeks, and said that some women prefer to wear them for longer.    My binder is lumpy and bulky.    Does anyone have any specific recommendations for post-op compression for the longer term that doesn't look so awful under clothing?

Thanks!

Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

RobynJC
on 7/29/13 10:55 am

Check out Mirena compression garments.  They were so much more comfy than the one I got from my PS.  Good luck to you!

MyBariatricLife
on 7/29/13 12:48 pm

Congrats on your progress! As far as support/compression, I never had a compression garment per se. I have used the Gelzone wrap on my lower abdo since about 8 weeks post op, and my hospital binder around my upper (over an under shirt) since about 4 weeks post op. I have wear Jockey Shapewear tanks in a size smaller to provide comrpession. Sometimes on my bottom I have worn Flexes. You also could try Spanks.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Julie R.
on 7/30/13 1:31 am - Ludington, MI

Thanks!  Now that I'm getting out and about a bit, my binder makes me look like a bandaged war victim, LOL, and I think when I got back to work in four weeks, I'm going to appreciate something it is unobtrusive, that might give me a bit of compression, as I'm on my feet all day (music teacher/choral director).   I found a Flexee support garment that's kind of like a singlet - it's got boy shorts and then has straps that go around the shoulders.  You wear it with your bra.  That might do the trick.   

MyBariatricLife
on 7/30/13 1:55 am

Let me know how you like it. The swelling will accumulate in your lower ab and mons, so something that provides compression there will likely bring relief. I had a pair of flexes that provided compression in the ab but not in the mons and it was uncomfortable because all the swelling went there.

upping your protein will help the body to rid itself of excess fluids.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Julie R.
on 7/30/13 8:13 am - Ludington, MI

I was reading past posts, about your swell hell.   My drains came out yesterday, and I'm already swollen.   Bwahhhh!   I'm scared!

MyBariatricLife
on 7/30/13 8:53 am

OMG, do you know that I phoned my surgeon at 2am in the morning because I was scared of some swelling that happened? Then I went to the ER and told them to call him back for instructions. The poor dear man had surgery the next day, too.

If you care to read about my swell hell experience, you can start here http://www.healthcentral.com/obesity/c/276918/160776/bariatr ic-life-tells-tummy

I began communicating (ie freaking out) with my surgeon at about 8 days post op about the swelling and I did not stop until about 3 weeks post op. The man is a saint!

So, take a deep breath and relax. You are going to get very swollen. But it will pass. Think of it as a right of passage - we all have gone through it. There were times when I felt like the flat tummy that I had immediately post op would never return by some cruel twist of fate. But you have seen my pix now at 3-mos post op as proof that your flat tummy will be there in the end - as long as you do not gain weight.

In a few weeks you will LOVE LOVE LOVE your tummy!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Julie R.
on 7/30/13 10:44 am - Ludington, MI

OMG, I read your blog - it was hilarious!    It sure makes me feel better though.   I wonder if your 700 mile car trip exacerbated your swelling?   Yesterday, I rode almost two hours to my surgeon, went to Sam's Club, went out to lunch, then rode the almost two hours home.   In every thing I've read, that was a lot to do so soon out.   I'm trying to keep my feet up as much as possible today.   I had a super, super tight plication to repair my abdominal wall (my doc told me yesterday that he sewed me up so tightly that he laid awake that night worrying about it, LOL) and that the time I put into resting up now is going to pay off in my long term recovery.   I guess I'm going to have to believe him.    

MyBariatricLife
on 7/30/13 10:56 am

Ha! I am glad that you liked it. 

I am sure that the ride caused me discomfort but my surgeon assured me I was safe. I actually phoned him before I left but he was in surgery. I wasn't sure that I could make the trip because I began to swell. The surgeon's P.A. actually called me from the OR to let me know that I was A-OK. How wonderful is that for them to be so considerate? Later, I called the surgeon while sitting on the toilet in the rest stop because my incision was bleeding a little. OMG. I told him exactly where I was, too. I told him that I leaned over to poop and then there was a blood smear on my leg. What the hell was I thinking?!?!?

Surely they must find me insane but are much too polite to tell me so.

I deeply trust my surgeon. But I have doubted him from time to time because that is just the way that I am. And I have called him on it, too. And guess what? He was right every single time. I have complete respect for him. So, as long as you have chosen your surgeon wisely, as I did, I am sure you are safe to believe in him. 

Yeah for your super tight plication! 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

airbender
on 7/30/13 8:12 pm

Mirena is the best, just make sure you purchase the correct garment for your stage PO

Most Active