Itching after panniculectomy

Lia D
on 3/11/12 11:23 pm - Waldorf, MD
Good morning all!

I am almost 9 months out from my surgery and still having a problem with itching around my incision.  I'm using the eucerin itch treatment and its working.  Most days I use it once in the morning after showering but before drying off (per doctor's advice).  Sometimes I have to use it in the evenings again, don't know why, but it is definitely working. 

After all that, my quetion is if anyone still has itching and how far out are you from your surgery.  Another question did your doctor give you any information on the itching i.e., why you have it, where it is coming from?  I am just curious about how long this itching is gonna last and where its' coming from. 

Any information is much appreciated.  Thanks!

Lia d
Laura in Texas
on 3/11/12 11:26 pm
I'm about 9 months out from lbl/bl and have never had a problem with itching. I know some people here took Benadryl when their itching was really bad. Hope it clears up for you soon!!

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Lia D
on 3/11/12 11:29 pm - Waldorf, MD
Thanks Laura.
Amy Smith
on 3/12/12 3:39 am
I am one of those that have used benedryll, but I do not itch all of the time.  For whatever reason if I run and then get a shower my incision along my back (about 4 months old) itches and sometimes at night I wake up and have been itching.  Not sure why!

Good thing the lotion is working for you!  Sorry I don't have any insights, but I will say one benedryll takes care of it even through the nigth!

I may have had a few extra potholes along the way, but the journey has been good!   

• RNY- Christiana Institute of Advanced Surgery - Dr. Peters 8/09 
  • Medial Thigh lift & Brachioplasty - Dr. Macrea 7/2011  
  • LBL - Dr. Joseph Michaels (Sibley Memorial) 12/22/2011
  • Upper Body Lift with Mastoplexy - Dr. Joseph Michaels 12/20/2012

Lia D
on 3/14/12 12:44 am - Waldorf, MD
Thanks for responding Amy.  I have to take benedryll at night as well sometimes.  I don't know why I get the "itchies" after using the itch cream at times either.  But I do appreciate your response.  Take care.

Lia d
2muchfluff
on 3/13/12 5:29 am
 I AM NOT A MEDICAL PERSON, BUT I WOULD GUESS THAT IT MAY HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH NERVES THAT WERE CUT DURING SURGERY???  THEY MAY BE GROWING BACK.

Lia D
on 3/14/12 12:48 am - Waldorf, MD
Thanks for responding Michael.  I gonna go online to see if I can find any info on that, I appreciate it.  Take care.

Lia d
Most Active