Surgery Friday - any tips??

Suite1
on 2/26/12 11:37 am - Dayton, OH
Greetings all.  Seems like time has been crawling, but my surgery date is this Friday - LBL, TT and BA.  

Do you have any last minute tips for me?   I'm mostly concerned about what to expect the first few days, after a week, after two weeks.

My surgeon still insists I'll be fine after two weeks and able to work out with my trainer again after 3 weeks - I just won't have my usual strength or stamina for up to two months.

Thanks in advance for any help!

tg
HW:  280  SW:  262.5  CW:  150
  GOAL!!!!   One week shy of my surgiversary!

LBL, TT, BA on 3/2/12 - Dr William Rigano  

lorilea
on 2/26/12 11:54 am - MN
The first couple of days are the hardest, but thats what the pain pills are for.  Stay ahead of the pain and you should be fine.  I would take half a dose every two hours instead of a full dose every four....depending on what you have for pain killers.

I went out on the fourth day to get a hair cut and out for dinner.  At 6 days I went to my 1 week follow up, to the grocery store and then out for dinner with my parents.  Every day gets easier.

I went back to work at 12 days post op. Good luck!
bowknot
on 2/26/12 1:02 pm
I have to agree...stay on top of your pain meds. Set an alarm so you don't miss doses for the first week.

The LBL recovery was very hard for me. I haven't had any significant complications. I was in the hospital two nights. I had a follow-up appointment 5 days out. It wore me out just going to the doctor. At 7 days I was slowly walking mu cul-de-sac in front of my house. DH took me out walking at 10 days. I walked a slow mile (25 minutes) daily after that.

I started working from home at 14 days out, a Thursday. I was in the office on Monday. It was 10 days before I felt like I didn't need constant pain meds. Days 10-28 I was still taking them occasionally. I didn't feel like I had "turned the corner" with my healing until around 4 weeks.

I'm a little over 5 weeks today. I had a followup on Friday. I'm still in compression garments. He said I could start weaning myself off my binder. He also said I could do any exercise I wanted, but to ease into it. I am walking my pre-surgery route and time these days. I'm no where near ready for a trainer. I have aches and tugs every day. I still have quite a few areas on my tummy that don't have any feeling too. I'm pretty consistent with my tylenol. I feel like I'm still healing.

My BL was a piece of cake. I did get two sore spots, one under each breast at the anchor site. I had to try different bras until I found ones that worked for me. My nipples and lollipop scars itched the first week I was home, but it was all minor stuff.

Good Luck! I hope you have an uncomplicated surgery. Keep us posted on your recovery.

Kay

PBJ
on 2/26/12 1:03 pm
good luck to you!

I was told no exercising for 6 weeks...I am just that in a few days and look forward to getting back to the gym.  I honestly would be afraid to exercise before that.

My 2 big tips:  Stool softeners...pain pills are very constipating so I took SS twice a day.  And try to drink alot of water.

And...keep your eye on the prize.  It is tough at the beginning..but it does get better...much better.

Good luck

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
ChaChaCha
on 2/26/12 9:20 pm - Cleveland, OH
I am 5 days out from a LBL/butt aug/liposuction.  The best tips I can give you are to take stool softeners, rent a lift recliner, use an elevated toilet seat, hire a medical transport company to get you home from the hospital, keep all of your essentials within arm's reach, stay on top of your pain meds, and take deep breaths before you have to get in/out of a chair or adjust your position in a chair.  I noticed how much my upper body tensed up before I had to move around and I found that focusing on my breathing really helped me relax.  Get up and walk (or as I say, "shuffle") as much as you can.  It helps with gas and it gets your blood flowing.  Swelling is inevitable and right now I'm dealing with major itching underneath my binder...EEK!  I also change out gauze underneath my binder from time to time.  I am walking hunched over and walking very slowly...I cannot wait until I can walk normally!  Tomorrow is my post-op follow up appointment and I know the surgeon will change my dressing but I'm not sure if he'll remove my drains.  Truth be told, my drain output has been minimal from my 2 drains.

I didn't have much of an appetite (still don't actually) but I managed to get in very small meals to keep up my nutrition intake.  The Bariwise Meal Replacement Protein Shakes from www.dietdirect.com saved me.  35 grams of protein in one mix that you can make into a pudding or shake.  They taste great, too. 

Wow--exercise after 3 weeks?  My surgeon said no exercise before 6 weeks.  But every surgeon is different and there are different types of exercise.  

If you want me to share more info please email me!  Jen
          "We live in a society where it's more socially acceptable to be a junkie than it is to be overweight."     --CC Deville, guitarist for Poison    
Iam_with_the_Band
on 2/28/12 4:32 am
 Chachacha, for the itching I found a soft cotton Tshirt or tank top worn under the garment helped a lot!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Suite1
on 2/27/12 6:06 am - Dayton, OH
Thanks so much guys.   I went into RNY feeling so prepared and educated and still just don't know what I don't know with this one.   Of course everyone has a different story.  A neighbor had a BA from the same doctor (no other work) and was back to work in 2 days.   I've asked Dr R repeatedly about the work outs and he's very confident because he's not doing any lipo and minimal muscle work - in fact he's saying I probably won't have any bruising either.  He's got a good reputation in town, but is he THAT good?   Fortunately my trainer has worked with a lot of women who've had body contouring in one form or another so we might just stick with yoga & stretching for a while.  Any time I've got something bugging me, he's able to work around it and I leave feeling much better.  Still, whenever I say Doc said 3 weeks, people's chins drop and they look at me like I'm nuts!  

So those who have had the BA - what can I expect there?  Sounds like they look a bit deformed for a while?  At what point would you say you felt normal after all the procedures - or finally happy with the results (meaning the swelling was gone, everything "falls into place", the scars start to fade?).

I truly, truly, truly appreciate any insight you can give me.  Thanks bunches!

tg

HW:  280  SW:  262.5  CW:  150
  GOAL!!!!   One week shy of my surgiversary!

LBL, TT, BA on 3/2/12 - Dr William Rigano  

Iam_with_the_Band
on 2/28/12 4:35 am
 That is shocking! Incisions can still open at 3 weeks out. Just take it slow and be very careful with the stretching! Even shifting in a bed or chair can cause a wound opening. Your doctor knows best but after having a LBL and reading this forum for years I would say 3 weeks is very early for working out. Even yoga. 

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

j_j_miller
on 2/27/12 6:34 am
 I am one week out today so not much to add.  But I can't believe only 3 weeks before resuming workout. I only know what I've read and and the earliest I've seen is 6 weeks. I had multiple procedures and asked my dr when I can go back to work without restrictions. He said at 8 weeks I can be able to lift 10 pounds. I feel like I could do a sit down job now but unfortunately I have to be able to lift 50 pounds on occasion and can't get around it. Bummer because I'm going to go broke not working for so long. I can see walking, or possibly even jogging a little sooner but would definitely be nervous about strength training too early. 
Zombie
on 2/27/12 8:37 am, edited 2/27/12 8:37 am
Congrats on making the decision. It will be one that you will never regret, I mean at least I can tell you that from a TT perspective (Not a BA). But what to expect the first few days. Lots of pain. I think I hit my peak at day 3. On day 4 I noticed that the pain went away considerably. I don't know what type of pain meds you prefer, but I asked for liquid Lortab, that was my best friend and helped put me to sleep during the most painful times. Other people like Hydrocodone or Percocet.

If you don't have a recliner, get one, or borrow one, that will be your second best friend. Have everything within arms reach. The 1st 2-3 days you should get up every few hours to move around, nothing more, nothing less. I had my drains removed after about 7 days if I recall. The first week you may be hunched over a little but will eventually straighten out. The second week you will be more mobile, driving, doing most of the things you did before, except heavy lifting.

The working out stuff. Don't even attempt it. I was not cleared for core workouts until 4 months out. Even when I was cleared I tried it a little and it was hurting. Ease back into it, no rush. The strength and stamina will return in time.Oh and if you get the urge to sneeze, DON'T! I sneezed like 3 weeks out and about died, I seriously thought I ripped something, I was in pain for a couple of days after that.  Best of luck to you.

~Paul~

Most Active