Anyone swell more WITH binder?

Lizzy25
on 11/15/11 1:48 pm
 I've ditched my binder after almost 3 weeks. I initially started giving myself breaks from the binder because I was getting some fluid in my lungs and the binder didn't let me breathe deeply enough to clear it.  I have discovered that my hip and thigh swelling vanishes if I don't wear compression. As soon as I put it back on, even when it's not very tight, I start collecting lower body fluid again. Today I went without the binder all day and had zero swelling by the end of the day, not even in the abdomen. 

But everyone else seems to be the exact opposite! I wonder why that is. Anyone else find they swell less without their compressionwear? 

"The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." -Bertrand Russell
5'9 HW: 297 GW: 160 CW: 161
pixielee
on 11/15/11 8:49 pm - Twinsburg, OH
My PS doesn't think the binders or compression garments do much outside of the initial surgery period.  Her motto with them is if they feel good wear them, but her research shows they don't do much.

Kate

Laura in Texas
on 11/15/11 9:04 pm
Interesting. Nope. I'm a traditionalist. I swelled up like a balloon without it. I still wear compression sometimes at 4 months out to keep swelling at bay.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

alla B.
on 11/15/11 10:34 pm

I am more then year from my TT and 2 month from revision. I swell so bad on my middle like ballon. i hate it!
it is very intresting that you swell more with compression, sorry.

Feel better,

alla

PART 1 VSG  03/28/2006;  PART 2   DS  01/31/20007

mkbeany
on 11/15/11 10:49 pm
Nope...I swell terribly if I go without.

You may need a different type or size.

It should not be impeding your ability to cough and deep breathe.

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
waitinggame
on 11/16/11 3:26 am - Bowie, MD
I am having much more swelling in my mons when I wear my binder. I was told today to go with traditional spanx so there is compression in the lower body too. Not loving my "Ken doll" crotch by the end of the day!

Hope you are well!

Denise

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

Still Fawn
on 11/16/11 6:13 am - SIERRA MADRE, CA
I ~hated~ my garment with a passion, and ditched it at the very first possible moment. It didn't really seem to have an effect on my swelling either way, but I felt like I couldn't breathe in the damn thing!

I am still loving life with my sleeve! Been maintaining at or below goal for over 4 years!
"People spend a lifetime searching for happiness; looking for peace. They chase idle dreams, addictions, religions, even other people, hoping to fill the emptiness that plagues them. The irony is the only place they ever needed to search was within."   - Ramona L. Anderson

Most Active