Insurance coverage for butt skin removal?

Julie R.
on 8/13/11 1:57 am - Ludington, MI
 I am having terrible problems with the loose skin on my butt sliding back and forth across my tailbone when I sit, especially for extended periods of time.   We just took the train back and forth from Michigan to Montana, and even though the seats were comfortable, and I brought a little donut kinda cushion, I was still miserable.   Has anyone had luck with insurance coverage for skin removal on your backside?    My insurance will cover panni removal, but not a complete tummy tuck.  Problem is, I don't have much of a panni.    I need more work on the read end than the front end!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Laura in Texas
on 8/13/11 7:37 am
If you have documentation from your doctor, it could be possible, but I've never heard of it. Then again, some insurance companies do seem to cover more than others. Did you ask your surgeon how much more it would be to upgrade the panniculectomy to a lower body lift?

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Julie R.
on 8/13/11 9:50 pm - Ludington, MI
 Haven't been to a plastic surgeon yet.    A few of my Michigan DS buddies have had work done by one, however, and have been very pleased with their results.   Maybe I'll make an appointment for a consult and see what they have to say.   I have pretty excellent insurance, and I know they exclude "cosmetic" surgery, but this is really "reconstructive" surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 8/14/11 9:36 am - Yorktown, VA

Aetna won't cover it.  They specifically exclude any work to the thighs or butt in their policies.

I say you should call your insurance company and ask abouut reconstructive surgery (don't use the work cosmetic or plastic) and what they will cover and what they need to cover it. 

Then I'd also get that consultation and find out what you'd have to pay out of pocket for it and how it would work if you could get insurance to pay for the panni (even though you don't really need it).  That might still save you money since insurance would be covering part of your hospital and anesthesia fees.

Good luck!

Julie R.
on 8/14/11 9:45 am - Ludington, MI
 Good call Tessy.....don't get me wrong....removal of my panni would be nice, because it's still there, just small enough not to be noticeable clothed, but not worth the pain if it's the only thing I have done.    I'd really love a LBL.....but then I'd want my arms done, and my boobs done!    I need a rich, old relative, LOL.

(deactivated member)
on 8/14/11 9:50 am - Yorktown, VA
I need a rich old relative, too!

Now that my torso/midsection is so toned, I feel like my thighs look worse, when I know that in reality they are smidge less wrinkly than before the LBL.  They are really bothering me now and I was hoping to escape a thigh lift.  I even have really ugly knees becuase the loose skin drapes that low a bit (though I've always had ugly knees like that, so I think it's partly hereditary and not all from losing weight).

I also need my boobs done BAD and want a mini-arm lift.  *sigh*  I'm tentatively planning all of this for March of 2012, but I've already shelled out $10k out of pocket and kind of feel bad about shelling out another $12k or so for the rest, you know? 

Too bad that rich, old relative doesn't exist for me!
Julie R.
on 8/14/11 10:03 am - Ludington, MI
 Heck, I don't even have $10,000 to my name....unless I took out a home equity loan, and in this market, and at my age, that's not very practical.   So, I'm hoping for that long-lost rich relative.   Or the lottery, but then I'd have to start playing it, LOL.    I thought your thighs looked pretty darn good.   You're body still isn't completely done shifting, and you might notice some improvement in the next year or two skin-wise.

(deactivated member)
on 8/14/11 10:22 am - Yorktown, VA
Yeah, I suppose I could also attempt to exercise in order to tone up the area and  maybe fill it out a bit with muscle.  I've got time to do this before March, I just need to get off my ass and actually do it!

My thighs look worse now than in my recent post-op pics.  I'm guessing because the swelling has gone down.
Most Active