Drainage from JP drains

siberiancat
on 5/27/11 4:14 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
My drains have to be 30cc or less in a 24 period  before they can come out.

I live 3 1/2 hours from plastic surgeon.  I'm three days post op from TT and arm lift.  My arm drains are already less than 30 cc a day.  My abdominal drains  are about 120 cc per day.  I have an appointment this next Tues, June 1st.

What are the chances that my drainage from tummy JP's can go to 30 cc by Tues (4 days from now)?  If I don't get them out Tues, I will probably be stuck with them for anothr 10-14  days or so!!

Feeling better today but still taking Hydrocodone 5/500 (one of them) every 4 hours.

The anchor tummy tuck and arm lift together were more painful than I'd anticipated.  Don't know if I want to do thigh/buttock lift or not.

Maybe it's like having a baby - in a few months I will forget the pain and just anticipate the outcome!!
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

NoMore B.
on 5/27/11 4:28 am
 Hi,
It kind of is like having a baby!  I'm just 3 weeks out now and the pain is (mostly) a distant memory even this soon.

You should start getting better every day.  I had 4 drains total, 2 were removed at one week, and the other two I had for 2 weeks.  What I found is the more mobile I got (which you need to be to help prevent blood clots), the more they would put out.  I hope you can get them out soon, but you might have a ways to go.  (Sorry).

I found the easiest things to do with them was to wear an old bathrobe belt around my neck like a tie, and pin them to that, right in front of me.  It felt the safest and was least likely to pull or move them.

I hated my drains, too, but you dont want to take them out too soon and end up with a seroma or complication.  
Bonnie ABC
on 5/27/11 7:35 am - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
No idea, we are all so unique.  You can take them out yourself if they say get lower than 30cc's and your surgeon says okay.   Just snip the stitches, and pull slowly.  No big deal.   I hated mine too, wore one for 5 weeks, and the other for 3 weeks.   Not fun.

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
siberiancat
on 5/27/11 8:26 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
Thanks for your responses.  That helps.  I'm planning on 3 weeks off work, but can go longer.

I'm up and walking, drinking fluids and eating (and drinking) alot of protein.  I'm following directions - that is my obedient personality type.

I will keep active.  Today is better than yesterday and I'm sure each day I will see improvement.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

cyndi U.
on 5/27/11 9:55 am - forney, TX
I had 4 drains, they came out on day 12.  I haven't hardly had any swelling. 

I hadn't wore the compression garment for yesterday or today but put it on tonight as I could tell my tummy was swelling some.  I went back to work @ 2 weeks, actually worked @ the 2 week mark from surgery for thursday & friday & then was off for 3 days.  I worked 4 full days this week, but have to admit I'm BEAT!  Looking forward to the long weekend & LOTS of rest!  I've really done fine but it wasn't easy. 

My drain #'s went down alot over the weekend before I went in on that Monday & he took them out.  I really thought I'd have to come home w/1 or 2 or them still in.  I live 4 hours from Houston where I had surgery, so it was a long trip.

Don't tell me how bad the arms hurt!  That's my next round w/the BL/BA!!!!!  Yikes!  I'm planning on having that done around august.

Good luck w/your recovery!  Hang in there!

Cyndi U
Gastric Bypass, Dr. Daniel Jones, Dallas, 2003
LBL, Lipo, Butt Aug, Full Thigh Lift, hernia repair - 5/5/11, Baylor Houston Residency Program - Dr. Echo & Dr. Bullocks
BL/BA, brachioplasty - 8/26/11, Baylor Houston Residency Program - Dr. Lee & Dr. Bullocks

wcumom1
on 5/27/11 10:37 am
i wish i had kept my drains longer.  One camr out after 1 week, the other at 13 days.  After the 2nd one was taken up... i swelled up like a ballon! it was awful and had alot of pain and pressure.  I finally went to the plastic surgeon on call, mine was out of town.  He inserted another drain into my tummy tuck incision, i drained over 270 cc of fluid in the office, and it was full again by the time i got home. I kept that drian for another week.  So, i would vote for keeping it longer!

jtsmom02
on 5/27/11 12:17 pm - Mineola, TX
I had two drains that were removed at 5 days.  No problems here, so far anyway!

Laina B.
250 / 160
9/9/03 Lap RNY
(Dr Charles Beall, Tyler TX - AWESOME!!!)
5/13/11 Cholecystectomy, extended abdominoplasty (anchor cut), and mastopexy
(Dr Charles Beall and Dr James Saar, Tyler TX - AWESOME!!!)
8/26/11 Abdominoplasty revision
(Dr James Saar, Tyler TX - AWESOME!!!)

avidreader
on 5/28/11 8:40 am - Cary, NC
My 2 were removed at 2 weeks - had fluid drawn off at each of my 3 post op visits.  I seem to swell now when I am really active or walking a lot, but the doctor said that's normal and will last til about 6 months out.

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
LadyJwb
on 5/29/11 5:34 am - Philadelphia, PA
My scheduled surgey date buddy....I'm glad every thing is going well . Wish I was going through the pain with yah. My procedures were canceled hgb to low 7. I hope you feel better in several months you will be right back at the office gettting that thigh lift for sure.
Most Active