Anyone know anything about chemical peels??

Johanna !
on 5/16/11 1:29 am - Formerly known as jdcRI, RI
Not really PS related but does anyone have experience with chemical peels?  I have hyperpigmentation on my back from old acne and it seems to be the way my skin heals on my upper and lower back... not pretty for summer time!  I was on Amazon looking at the different peels and there are so many different types!! i am going to buy one online and do it myself, but was wondering if anyone had any specific experience and could tell me anything about the benefits of one type over another (glycolic vs lactic acid for instance)

Thanks!!
Johanna - like Joe-on-uh, or that movie, Juwanna Man!  

Jody ***
on 5/17/11 1:04 pm - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
I go to my Dermatologist and have chemical peels done.  Its for the treatment of acne.  I can't tell you the difference between the 2 products though, and I'm not sure which one she uses... but...

It has worked wonderfully.  Expect to be real dry and peel after each of them.  I started out going once a month, and now go once every 2-3 months as maintenance.  My skin glows

Honestly, I'd say to go to a professional first.  See what they can do for you, then if you feel confident enough to do it yourself, give it a try.  With having a pro do it first, you'll at least know what to expect. 

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

ChaChaCha
on 5/17/11 2:05 pm, edited 5/17/11 2:05 pm - Cleveland, OH
 I am a licensed Esthetician and here is what I can recommend to you...do not perform a chemical peel on yourself at home.  Trust a dermatologist to do it.  There are different strengths of peels, and you don't want to use one that is too strong for your skin type.  A dermatologist will do a thorough skin analysis and determine the proper strength of the peel against your desired outcome.  Peels do cause superficial peeling but that is why they are effective--they remove the outermost dead layer of skin.  Because of the hyperpigmentation, dermabrasion may also be an option (not microdermabrasion).  But again, discuss this with a dermatologist because dermabrasion is invasive and requires anesthesia.  Good luck!
          "We live in a society where it's more socially acceptable to be a junkie than it is to be overweight."     --CC Deville, guitarist for Poison    
Johanna !
on 5/17/11 10:23 pm - Formerly known as jdcRI, RI
Thanks - I do not think it is so severe that it would require dermabrasion... I am probably more crazy about it than I should be! I started washing with a benzoyl peroxide face wash (on my back in the spots that bug me) and applying an AHA wrinkle cream to my lower and upper back and noticed it is fading slightly... maybe I should just use that for now and see how it works.  The peels I have looked up were low level 1 peels that did not require a neutralizer... I was just hoping to speed the process - what do you think of lightening creams?? 

Johanna !
on 5/17/11 10:24 pm - Formerly known as jdcRI, RI
Thanks for the feedback!!

Most Active