Costing Less than I thought

siberiancat
on 4/27/11 8:09 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
My brachio and abdominoplasty are scheduled for May 24.  Surgery will be in acute care hospital, overnight stay (due to asthma & heart arrythmia, PS didn't want it done in his surgery center) .

Hospital costs( OR, supplies, patient room) + anesthesia + plastic surgeons bill = Total $12,000.  I thought it would be much more.  I'm sure it would be 3 times that much if insurance were paying for it.

We are putting it on our charge card (to earn some more cash refund) and then will pay in full when we get charge card bill.  Kinda double dipping.

Does this seem reasonable to you?
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

avidreader
on 4/27/11 8:33 am - Cary, NC
Seems reasonable to me!!  I had extended TT with muscle tightening in the doctor's office, no overnight.   OR, supplies, anesthesia and surgeon fee was $8000.00.   Good luck!

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
Laugh Out Loud
on 4/27/11 12:49 pm
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons has released the average surgeon's fee schedule for 2010.  The link is:

http://www.plasticsurgery.org/Documents/news-resources/stati stics/2010-statisticss/Regional-Distribution/2010-surgeon-ph ysician-fees-cosmetic-surgery-minimally-invasive-procedures. pdf

In 2010, the average cost of your two procedures was $8,959.  This does not include anesthesia or facility charges, so is very reasonable IMHO. 

Congrats on getting your plastics scheduled!
Cindy
siberiancat
on 4/27/11 11:50 pm - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
Thanks for your input.
 Penny

linda1814
on 4/28/11 9:07 am, edited 4/28/11 9:07 am
Are you going with that surgeon from the Detroit area that you mentioned a while back?  If so, do you mind sharing what hospital it is?  I have only had one PS consult so far but I know that I need t see a few more surgeons before I decide.   

Good luck on your procedures.  It is very exciting.  I wish you all the best.

*edited for grammar

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days

Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

siberiancat
on 4/28/11 10:07 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I'm seeing Dr Ayoub Sayeg.  I saw him at his Troy Michigan location.  He has his own surgery center,but he wants to do my surgery at an acute care hospital because of my asthma and heart arrythmia and he wants me to stay the night.

This doubles the expense - but worth it and i respect his opinion (considering he would probably profit more if it was done in his facility).  He does surgery at serveral hospitals.  I chose Oakwood Hospital in Dearborn.  It is the systems main hospital and he has an office in Dearborn.

Let me know if there are any other questions.  I've had several surgeries, but this is my first experience with plastics.
 Penny

godzilla
on 4/28/11 9:00 pm - Israel
Dang, you are lucky to have a date and quite soon!
I had a date...and my HMO was even covering it but....
the Doctors Strike here in Israel has me postponed and in limbo.
No date to give if no end in sight for the Strike. Ugh!
In Israel , if your HMO covers your Plastics you stay in hospital until drains are removed - usually 7-10 days.
Mikimi in Israel

siberiancat
on 4/29/11 12:32 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
Before you think I'm too lucky - it is going to cost $12,000+ out of my pocket.  No insurance covering it!!
 Penny

godzilla
on 4/29/11 1:42 am - Israel
You're right about the financial aspect-sorry about that. But I meant on the op being right around the corner for you.
Just know that if I don't respond to your updates in more than 4 days-then I must have been rescheduled, however I hope once I get a new date to post it for all.
Mikimi

LadyJwb
on 4/30/11 2:31 am, edited 4/30/11 2:33 am - Philadelphia, PA
Congrats on your date . It's weird we both are having the same thing done on the same day... And I'm paying out of pocket as well....wooohooooo Wishing you a speedy uneventful recovery.
Most Active