It's Friday again!

carlak
on 3/11/16 5:55 am - Bradenton, FL

Well I can't believe it's the weekend again! This week has flown by!

I hope today stays beautiful! The sun is out and the sky is blue in Chicagoland!

Im flying home tomorrow night. I hate to say it but this Grammy needs a break!!! It's time to go home and be me!!!

Vickie thinking about you!

Talk on!

Oh Arlene also thinking about you!

Carla

image hosting site

poegirl100
on 3/11/16 9:02 am - Cibolo, TX

Good morning Carla and my sistas,

Carla, you have been on Grammy duty non-stop since you got to Chicago.  I would say you have earned a break!  LOL!  Two year olds are NOT easy.  I know I have to watch Budder every second.  I blink and he's into something!  

We are all still on pins and needles here.  Should get the test results today.  I'll post when we know what's going on.

I got up early and went for my annual bloodwork this morning.  My appointment for my annual WLS checkup is next week.  I am not expecting a good report.  I didn't take any of my pills for the first six month of last year.  I was so consumed with Butch's care and all of his pills, I just kind of forgot about mine.  Then after he died, I just didn't care enough to take my pills.  I finally started taking them daily again a few months ago.  So I probably won't get a good report.  And I'm embarrassed at how much weight I've gained.  But it is what it is.  I can't go back, I can only go forward.

The rain is slowly letting up here today with only an occasional shower here and there.  Still too wet to garden though.  I'm in a quandry about my landscaping project.  As y'all know, i have waited months to get on the schedule to have my sprinkler system installed and my flower beds put in.  Now because of this big financial snafu I find myself in, I'm not sure I can afford to go forward with my project!

OMG!  Praise God!  We just got the test results back and they're NEGATIVE!  Now I can tell y'all.  Caralee had to go and be tested for cystic fibrosis.  Oh, we were all so upset and scared that our baby had that awful disease.  The first two blood tests (newborn screening) were inconclusive and indicated she had a mutation that is common to CF.  But we took her to San Antonio Children's Hospital yesterday and had a specialized test done and it came back perfectly NORMAL!!!  Again, Praise God!  I don't mind tellin' y'all, the last few days have been hard on all of us.  Between that and my finances, I was about knocked flat down.  But money is a problem that can be fixed.  Our baby's health is what's important.

Well, I have to close now.  It's been several hours since I started this post.  Love you all!  Thank you, thank you, thank you for your prayers!

Vickie 

Connie D.
on 3/11/16 10:08 am

Hello Vickie....I am so happy the test results came back normal. If I could do cartwheels I would!!! God has answered more prayers!! What a relief to know Caralee is okay!!

I am still praying for the other situation. I wish that lake house would sell. Did you get the price lowered yet? I can't believe it hasn't sold. 

I don't know what to say about the gardens and water sprinklers. I was told by someone very wise to ask myself "is this a want or a need"  I then made my decision. Sorry...that is all I can come up with.

Love you....hugs....connie d 

Patricia R.
on 3/11/16 3:00 pm, edited 3/11/16 7:02 am - Perry, MI

Oh Vickie,

I know your heart must have been beyond worried for Caralee.  Colleen was born with an umbilical hernia, where her belly button stuck out almost an inch and a half.  Paul was in the Army, and whenever we took her to the pediatric clinic at the different Army hospitals, we never saw the same doctor twice.  Some  said  she needed surgery now, others said we could wait.  My head was spinning, and I had no clue.  When she was 7 months old, she and I went to live with my parents, coz Paul was stationed at Goodfellow Air Force base for two months, and we were told that off base housing for low rank enlisted was hard to find.  Mom and Dad told me to take her to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, a premier children's hospital, and they would pay the bill, if CHAMPUS, the Army coverage, didn't.  The pediatrician there told us that she could wait till she was older, but to be sure to get it done before she had children, because her abdominal wall wouldn't be strong enough to handle the size of a baby in there.  After Paul and I finished college, and we had good medical insurance, she had the surgery.  We had her birthday party the day before it, and someone had given her a Cabbage Patch premie doll.  They let her hold the doll all the way to the OR.  When she woke up, she had the doll, and one of the nurses had put a Bandaid over the doll's belly button.  

When she was four, she got deathly ill, and had to be hospitalized.  She had a high fever, ad was dehydrated.  I was a total basket case.  I slept in a recliner for four days, next to her bed, and had to beg my sister not to bring my mother because Mom made a scene, because for four days, we had no clue what was wrong.  Finally, on the fifth day, her mouth broke out in horrific sores, all over her lips, and gums.  The doctor told us she had oral herpes.  Turns out, Paul had a cold sore on his lip a few days before she got sick, and I remember her sitting on his lap, and asking him what it was, and she touched it.  It highly contagious, and we had absolutely no clue that what he had was oral herpes, and that it was contagious.  That was when we learned that his Mom caught it when she was student teaching in a Kindergarten, and that Paul caught it from her then.  All we knew was that it was cold sores.  It wasn't till it became an STD that they came out with medications to reduce the severity of the sores.  We learned it's a virus that stays in the system, kind of like chicken pox.  Colleen would break out in them when she was in highly intense situations, and her immune system was weak.  Now, she takes probiotics and vitamins religiously.  I know she hasn't had one since I've lived her, or I would have seen it.

Anyway, all I am trying to share is that I totally know how stressful it is when our little ones, especially babies have a big health diagnosis hanging over them, and we parents/grandparents, have to sit there, and watch and wait.  It gives me some better understanding of what my parents must have gone through when a doctor, who was a friend of my grandfather, diagnosed me with a heart murmur, and every year, my parents had to take me to the University of Pennsylvania Hospital, for day long testing.When I was in sixth grade, I had to be admitted for a cardiac catherization because if they found the opening a certain size, I was going to be scheduled for open heart surgery.  

I am so grateful our prayers worked, and precious Caralee does not have CF.  We have an  awesome God, and I know that He loves you, Carrie, Christie, Caralee, Benny and Budder very, very much.  

Huge Hugs and Tons of Love,

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Eileen Briesch
on 3/11/16 9:48 am - Evansville, IN

Hi Carla and Vickie and my OFF family:

Carla, I would think you need a break. I know you love Vinnie, but you can't be there all the time.

Vickie, I'm glad the news is good for Caralee. You've had too much to worry about.

Me, I have too much stress at work. Last night it was the guy who does the scoreboard page. I was trying to get my pages done and he called me three times on one page. The sports editor calls to clear one of my pages and asks where the other page is. I said I'm working on it, but so-and-so keeps bothering me. He chuckled. He knows what I'm going through. 

Plus, we started talking about what will happen after new company takes over. One guy said he'll retire and be a Walmart greeter. I don't know what I'll do. I don't want to move again. I know being a sports copy editor makes me valuable. I'm tired of the runaround, the stress of not knowing if I'll have a job. I just would like to have something that would get me to retirement. Or that I could do from my recliner with my feet up. I'm just sick of worrying about the next move in the newspaper business.

My thumb continues to bother me. So much so, last night I had problems getting to sleep (along with leg cramps). Got to sleep finally about 4 a.m. and unfortunately got up at 8 a.m. I need a nap. Watching Indiana-Michigan basketball now. 

Sorry to whine again. Got a headache and am out of my migraine preventive. It's supposed to be auto-refill but it didn't auto-refill. I didn't realize it, and now I'm out of it. Plus, we're supposed to get rain over the weekend again. My body isn't happy. 

Have a good day. Vickie, hug that baby and know the future will be bright.

Eileen Briesch

lap rny 6-29-04

[email protected]

Connie D.
on 3/11/16 10:32 am

Hello Eileen...I have been reading all your posts.....sorry I didn't reply. 

It sounds like that thumb is really causing you a lot of pain. Maybe you need to go in and have them look at it again. You should be getting better results by now. This weather is the pits...raises hell with our bodies. Maybe you need to look up side effects on some of your meds. They could be causing those leg cramps. Sorry you didn't get the refill you needed.

Can't you somehow make it on disability? Now with Gary there paying half the rent and utilities maybe you can work it out. I had to do it. I had no choice. It was not easy at first. My whole life changed. I made it work. I live on a third of what I  was used to living on. You sound too miserable to work that job much longer. Good Luck.

Hope you start feeling better...love and hugs.....connie d

Eileen Briesch
on 3/11/16 8:14 pm - Evansville, IN

As for the thumb, Connie, I go back not next week but the week after (I think). Next week, I have the neurostim put in my back. I'm hopeful that something good will come of that.

As for disability, I'd have to be off work for six months before they consider it (or so I'm told). I was on my way to getting it the last time I was laid off before I got a job. My issue right now is I still have car payments. Probably for another year. I'd hate to try to handle disability with a car payment. And who knows what Gary wants to do if I get laid off? When I mention it, he acts like our partnership isn't permanent.

I did get my refill, so I was happy. The pain doc's folks got it refilled at Walgreen's, at least a short-term solution. Hopefully, the mail order place will kick in the 3-month supply next.

Thanks everyone for the good thoughts. I stress out too much thinking out what could happen. I need to chill.  

Eileen Briesch

lap rny 6-29-04

[email protected]

Patricia R.
on 3/12/16 6:04 am - Perry, MI

Hi Eileen,

In 2010, I went out on short-term disability in March, and receiving 75% of my salary from work.  In May, I scheduled a phone appointment to apply for Social Security Disability.  I had to have the names, addresses and phone numbers of every medical provide, laboratory, radiology, hospital and urgent who could provide Social Security information about me.  The list was extensive, given all my chronic conditions, including asthma, clotting disorder, WLS, orthopedic issues, pain management, anemia, bipolar disorder, etc.  After the case worker finished the application, he told me I should hear the determination around September/October.  I was able to receive my summer pay check, while I waited.  In the middle of August, I got word I would begin receiving benefits October. 1st that year.  

The big problem for me was that when a person begins Disability, they are not eligible for Medicare for two years.  I had to pay for COBRA, which with my school district insurance, was $750 a month for the cheapest HMO plan they offered.  I still had co-pays for outpatient services, and prescriptions.  

In September, I received paperwork to get re-evaluated for benefits.  

The reason it takes months to process is that the applicant must sign one copy of a release for providers to share the necessary medical information to Social Security, because of the patient privacy laws.  I somehow got lucky getting processed so quickly, and being accepted on my first try, without a lawyer.  

Even though I receive a decent size monthly check, I'd find it difficult to live on just that alone.  I am so grateful that I receive my teacher retirement through the state.  

Now, with Medicare, I must pay for my Part B insurance, which handles portions of outpatient doctor visits and testing, and Part D, for prescriptions.  My insurances include co-pays for both B and D.  I can't remember if they all do.  

Again, I applied six years ago, and before Obamacare, and other changes took effect.  I do know that Obamacare made prescription coverage a ton better, because of the Donut Hole,  which would have cost my tons more.  I was able to receive my prescription coverage through extended COBRA, through my teacher's union from work, and avoid the DONUT hole, till this past January, when I automatically was put into Part D.  

I hope some of this information helps you.  

Hugs

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Connie D.
on 3/11/16 10:45 am

Good afternoon Carla and everyone.....

You are one busy lady!!! How you keep up with a two year old for that long is amazing! No wonder you need a break!!!

The sun is shining brightly here too. The temp is 54 with a high of 61 in the forecast. I will be out walking shortly!! It always makes me feel better!!

Wishing you a safe flight home tomorrow evening. Knowing you, you will rest for a day and be off meeting someone else the next day.

As for me..... I am going to grab my lunch and then take that walk! I so need to strengthen my legs!! 

I then need to get in and bake those cookies. I don't want to leave it for tomorrow! 

I am so glad Caralee had a good testing result. I am still praying my Nic's comes out as well.

That is about it for me. Have a wonderful day everyone!!!

Prayers for our beautiful OFF family and their families. Special prayers for those in need. 

Lots of love and many hugs to all....connie d

lightswitch
on 3/11/16 12:42 pm

Carla,

We all need breaks. While I love my grandchildren to pieces, I am so happy when it is time to take them home.

Vic,

I know you are relieved. I cannot imagine how horrible it has been for you and your daughter. Great news!

Eileen,

I imagine your new company will not replace those existing employees; if it does, they are surely not thinking about efficiency. I will sling a few chickens and ducks for them to see your value.

Connie,

I hope you are doing well.

I cannot remember who all else posted.

Speaking of blood work, I went in to have my lab work done today and they tried seven times to get blood and couldn't get a single drop. Finally, after my arms began to look like a pin cushion, the director of the lab said, can you come back Monday?  And, they gave me instructions to drink water all day Sunday, Sunday evening, and early Monday morning. Also, the best of the best is going to be there Monday too so they say with the added hydration, they will get the blood they need.  The last blood work was pretty okay except for the Vit D and iron levels....My doctor wants to make sure that I am getting enough protein before I go all the way vegan. 

The good news is I a couple more pounds so if the lab work, once they actually get the blood, comes back fine, I am cutting out all animal protein.

Well, let me get off here. I am going to leave early to head to Houston to see about my brother.

You guys have a good afternoon and evening. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 388 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1189 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1198 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1134 views