Over 50 goal weight

diane48
on 11/8/13 1:10 pm
RNY on 05/07/13

Hi-I just wanted to know if your Dr expected less weight loss you anyone because of your age.  I went for my 6 month check up yesterday and he asked what I thought of my weight loss.  I said that it was less that optimal.  He asked how old I am (65).  Then he patted my hand and told me that I shouln't expect as good of results as if I was younger. He said that that at this point I should concentrate on quality of life issues not the amount of weight I lose.  I know my "quality of life" is better now (less meds, more active, ect.) but it just makes me mad!  Who likes to be spoken down to?  He patted my hand!  Of course I wasn't really mad until I got home and started to think about it. 

Connie D.
on 11/9/13 12:46 am

That wasn't a very nice thing for him to say. I would have been upset too!! Granted we are all proud of our weight loss and are grateful for being in better health. However, we all need to hear how well our doctors feel we are doing with our weight loss. My doctor never mentioned my age in reference to losing weight not once in 6+ years.

Hope he was having a bad day and he won't do it again!!

HUGS....connie d

diane48
on 11/9/13 12:59 am, edited 11/9/13 1:00 am
RNY on 05/07/13

He may have been having a bad day.  He kept trying to suppress a yawn.  LOL!  At least I didn't put him to sleep.  Thanks Connie.

lightswitch
on 11/9/13 1:07 am

I was in my early fifties when I had wls.  My surgeon said that I could expect to lose about 125 pounds and his goal for me was to get me as close to 200 pounds as possible.   Within the first year, I surprised  him.  You are in control of your results and if you are not happy with your weight loss, keep a food journal and with your food journaling, keep up with your activities.   You will be surprised how you can fix your problem after a couple of weeks.

Karen S.
on 11/9/13 3:48 am - Wailuku, HI
Aloha Diane...I am a sister from Hawaii who doesn't check in often enough. But your share really made me mad!! I had my surgery 7 years ago in 2006 and weighed 335 lbs.!! My doctor never mentioned age related to weight loss, and I think your doc really made a poor statement that can only hurt someone and certainly not encourage them to keep on going.

I am 5'11" tall, and 70 years old, and I have lost 190 lbs, and have kept it off for 6 years!! I can eat almost anything I want to and don't gain. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, and I certainly feel grateful for being "skinny" and being able to stay that way. I'm wear size 8/10 pants!!! I still wander into the PLUS size part of the store.......it's automatic.....and now I actually go to the petite side!

Don't let your doc deter you in any way.....you can get to where you want to be! Cheering here for you.

Aloha nui loa,

Maui Karen

diane48
on 11/9/13 5:10 am
RNY on 05/07/13
Thanks so much for the encouragement. I really appreciate it. I know that I'm not done losing. I do document everything I eat on my fitness pal just to keep track of protien, carbs, and calories. I have gotten off most of my medications which is worth it. I am feeling better about things today. I'm grateful that he did the surgery but I don't have to see him that often. I need to let go of caring what he thinks as long as I know I am doing what I have to do!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 390 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1192 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1198 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1134 views