Recovering from WLS after 50 yrs. old

VickyBT
on 9/3/11 8:06 am - MI
I'm 60 yrs. old and got a VSG plus hiatal hernia repaired on August 30th.
Boy oh boy did this surgery ever knock the wind out of my sails.
I've heard so many testimonies of WLS being a breeze and
I was shopping 2 days after coming home from the hospital, etc. etc.
Not for me. 
I know everybody is different and at 4 days out I certainly don't expect
to be back to normal yet but what was your experience?
How long before you regained your energy and were pain free?

How did you manage getting all your water & protein in?
I have no idea how you are suppose to heal properly with 2 weeks
of post op liquid protein shakes and 64 oz. of water daily.(so few calories)
I can only get 32 oz. of water down because my new sleeve will only
allow me to put so much in it and I'm constantly sipping.

Any advise appreciated.
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

poegirl100
on 9/3/11 8:20 am - Cibolo, TX
Hi Vicky!

I'm a Vickie, too.  I'm 54 and had RNY last Feb, 2011.  I won't say recovery was a breeze, but I was fortunate not to have any complications.  Yes, it's a challenge at first getting in all the protein and water they tell you you have to have.  It's a process.  The first thing that has to happen is your stomach has to heal.  That means you have to baby it.  Try not to overdo it.  If you don't get all your daily protein in the first 2-3 weeks, it will be okay.  Just make sure that what you do eat is the right stuff!  Don't worry about quantities yet.  Same with the water.  My surgeon wants me to drink 64 oz daily, but at first I was doing good to get 32 oz in daily  (that's 2 16-oz water bottles, you know.  An easy way to measure your liquids.)

As we say here on OFF, you have to sip, sip, sip all day long.  Sounds like you are already doing that, so good for you!

I didn't have any real pain after the 1st 24 hours, but I did ache and have discomfort for a few days--maybe the first week?  After that, I felt better, but got tired very quickly.  I took a nap every single day for the first 2 months.  Maybe a 30-something can go shopping 2 days post-op, but I don't think that's the norm.

What helped me regain my strength was to walk a little each day.  That's the other thing you'll hear on this forum:  walk, walk, walk.  At first I just walked up and down my driveway.  But I did it 2 or 3 times a day. Little by little I got stronger and could manage more steps. 

You're less than a week out from surgery, so I think you're just feeling some normal anxiety about surgery and recovery.  The "oh my god, what did I do to myself?" syndrome!  It will be okay.  This time next month, you'll wonder what you were so worried about.

Welcome to the loser's bench! 

Vickie 

Nancy H.
on 9/3/11 8:32 am - Traverse City, MI
Vicky, some people do a lot better than others. I was nauseous for over a month. It also took me that long to come close to getting in protein & water. At that time I was sorry I had the surgery. Now almost 6 years later, I wouldn't change a thing. Yes it was hard, but the benefits I have now are so worth it. If you have to call the nut, do so. I do hope this rough patch passes for you quickly.
Nan
karen C.
on 9/3/11 9:56 am, edited 9/3/11 10:09 am - Kennewick, WA

Vicky,

Welcome to the Over Fifty Forum. I don't post as often as I used to but try to stop by at least once a week or so. In 2004 I started researching WLS and had my RNY in Feb of 2005. If you are interested in my journey I did a good job of posting on my profile the first two or three years. Since then I've just been out there living life more completely than I had most of my adult life.

You've come to a great spot for information, support, and friendship with women and a few men from all over the country as well as a few from outside of the US. I continue to come here not only to give support to those just starting out but to get support myself.

Your body has gone through major changes this past week. You've had surgery and it will take a while to get back your energy. I too worried about liquids, supplements, etc. It seems like that was all I was doing all day long. I kept an insulated cup of ice with me nonstop. It does get easier. It becomes your new normal.

At 6 years post op I still think this is one of the best decisions I ever made. I was 55, weighed 377 lbs and was killing myself not so slowly. Now I go and do whatever I want. Life isn't perfect, but it's so much better than it was. I am now a grand parent, retired from teaching, but subbing as an aide part time to replenish my travel fund.

One of my favorite things about this group is that anytime day or night there will be someone popping in to read. We don't pretend to be doctors. There are several nurses among us and even a psychologist so you never know what you may find! I think the wisdom that comes with age will help make you feel right at home.

Welcome to OFF and congratulations on taking this step towards renewing your health. Hopefully you'll feel better soon. It can be overwhelming.

I remember worrying about getting enough nutrition in those first few weeks. Then I realized at 377 lbs and just 5'3" I figured I probably had enough fat stored to survive on water alone for at least 6 months. Not trying to make light of things, but just try to get that protein in, drink plenty of fluids all day long, try to get a bit of exercise. As soon as you can. find another focus. Call a friend, write a note, take something to a shutin, clean out a drawer, a closet, donate some things to a shelter, read a book, a movie, sit outside early in  the morning with a cup of coffee and enjoy nature. .  . Best wishes and take care. I look forward to getting to know you.

Karen C

annette R.
on 9/3/11 10:52 pm - ithaca, NY
Welcome Vicky,

WLS is NOT for sissy's. It takes a while to heal. It takes longer to learn this new life of eating and drinking. This world is foreign and it takes a while to get accustomed to the requirements.

Constant sipping, little walks, naps are VITAL, and be patient as you heal.

I remember asking if anybody got the number of the bus that hit me. Getting in the required protein took months. Energy returned slowly. I felt confused about what I could eat, how much and when. Had to write everything on paper to make some sort of sense of it all. Timers were set to remind me when to eat, drink, sleep ,and walk.

Almost five years later, it is much easier.

Hang in there.
Annette
 Annette     Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting           

VickyBT
on 9/3/11 10:54 pm - MI
Thank you ladies for your words of wisdom and encouragement.
I'm not really scared but just wondering what to expect.
Getting the food and water in certainly is a full time job.
Will keep you posted.
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 394 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1197 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1207 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1141 views