Vitamins for Post-RNY

fromfattohealthy
on 5/8/17 10:23 am - Canada

My surgery is next week, and I wanted to start getting organized.

The dietitian suggested chewable vitamins, but when I spoke with a friend who had the surgery, she said they don't absorb as well, and to get regular vitamins and crush them. Is this true?

Also, what were your absolute must haves following surgery?

Thanks!

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

Daisydoo02
on 5/8/17 11:09 am, edited 5/8/17 5:41 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Nothing is "absorbed" as well post RNY surgery, hence why they do the surgery to give us "malabsorption." So its totally a preference for post surgery if you want to chew a vitamin that tastes decent or try crush up a regular vitamin. For me personally I did chewables post surgery. I used the "Centrum" orange flavoured chewable multivitamins. I know lots of people use Costco brand. Your choice on how much you want to spend and either chewable or crushed pill form.

I had surgery at Toronto Western Hospital in 2013, I keep notes in my iPhone of what is the required Vitamin regime post surgery, this is for LIFE not just post surgery. So below is my "must haves"

2 multi vitamins a day (must have 1 mg of Cooper per pill) - CAN'T take same time as calcium if iron in your multi

36 mg (minimum) of Iron, must be carbonyl iron or Heme iron is even better but its expensive. I used Proferrin (heme iron), got it from Walmart, its about a buck a pill but it is the best one. 30 pills = $29.99 approx. ETA: Iron and add in Vitamin C for better absorption of the Iron

500 mg of Calcium - 3 TIMES a day - can't be taken when you take your multi - I used the Bariatric Advantage caramel chews, they were awesome

Vitamin D - 1000IU - 3 TIMES a day - can take when you take your calcium - I just used Jamieson brand, got at Walmart

B12 - 1000mg every other day - just used the Equate Walmart brand

Get a copy of your blood work NOW pre surgery. Get a spreadsheet started with all the lab results. Life Labs does online accounts where you can sign in and get a login/password and be able to tract your bloodwork going foward, you just have to go there to a Life Lab and get a "visit" number. Its so important to keep tract of our labs, those of us with RNY we can fluctuate a lot all over the place with our lab results. Iron specifically Ferritin levels, Vit D, B12 are just some ones that tend to bounce around.

I am going to warn you know, everything tastes super sweet post surgery. The chewable vitamins were so sweet it was gross, I plugged my nose when I chewed them, now at 3.5 years out my taste buds are back to normal.

Best of luck!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

GeorgianBay_Girl
on 5/8/17 11:44 am

I believe each Centre has a slight variation to their regimen and it will also depend on your lab results

I went through Humber and they said I can take a prenatal once/day, which I crush each morning (it tastes horrible so I take it with water); FYI does not allow gummy vitamins at any time

I take the caltrate chewables for Calcium and the chewable Jamieson in Orange flavor (paired with the vanilla calcium it tastes like a Creamsicle!)

Referral date: May 19, 2016 | Info session: July 12, 2016 | Surgeon Approval: December 2, 2016 | Pre Op: January 24, 2017 | Trio: February 9, 2017 | Surgery Date: March 3, 2017, Humber River Regional Hospital

Starting Weight: 253 | Post-Optifast Weight/day of surgery: 237 | Current Weight: 123.2

Manda32
on 5/9/17 12:42 am

Since I knwo you are going through WIndsor, I can tell you my experience there. In the surgical class they tell you to get the chewable tablets for the first while and just follow the directions. Tell you that all you are to take, no other vitamins during the first few weeks because its too hard on your stomach.

This is what I recall at my surgical class. So I bought chewables and stated them when I got home from the hospital (even though the day after surgery, I was swalloing pills (not crushed like I expected) like tylenol, and my own medications).

Fast forward to my 3 week post op and when I saw the doctor (and if he did, I honestly don't remember), and he said I wasn't suppose to start taking multi vitamins until after I saw him. I guess it can interfere with your urnine colour and determining if your dehydrated or not. I could of told anybody at three weeks I would be some dehydrated lol

I don't recall what doctor you have, but I have Dr. Shaban. He did recommend I take a multi vitamin at this point, and nothing else (perhaps waits on your three month bloodwork). Dietitian I saw at this appointment said you might not get told to take anything at this point, but she recommended the B12, calcium and vitamin D, said its pretty standard across North America. Can't remember if she said anything about Iron, might depend on future bloodwork. I don't think everyone takes iron.

So ya, can be confusing even at the same site with what information you get.

I'd recommend you get a chewable just incase you have difficulties swallowing pills.

Hope your opti is getting better for you!

Take care.

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Most Active
Recent Topics