What to expect...SW and Doctor

fromfattohealthy
on 1/25/17 6:22 am - Canada

Hi everyone....even though I have been (im)patiently waiting for tomorrow....I am feeling a bit anxious.

What should I expect during my appointment with the Social Worker? (my homework has been done for weeks)

What should I expect during my appointment with the doctor?

Also...I have nutrition class in 2 weeks...

Does everyone have the same appointments or is it individual? I have seen some people have psychiatrist/psychologist appointments (but I have yet to hear about that)

Thank you :)

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

Jo0710
on 1/25/17 7:26 am

I went through Windsor as well. The social worker will go over your homework and discuss your support system around you. She will also give you more homework more than likely. It'll be writing a journal with positive self talk 3 times a week. 

The doctor will go over your medical history, check you out  and ask which hospital you want to go to. He will order more tests if needed. I had to get my vitamin d retested but he approved me right away. I'm 35 and healthy other than my weight.  

The social worker will refer you to psychologist etc if they feel you need it. It's on the first meet with her that she decides usually I believe. 

With Windsor my appointments were: orientation may 9, doctor July 17, nutrition class august 24, Sept 9 was social worker.  Oct 15thish was dietican and social worker. Oct 24 Surgical ed class, Dec 21 surgeon consult, Jan 9th pre-op. Just to give you my time line.  

RNY Jan 16/17 Surgery @ St. Mikes with Dr. Rotstein. Pre-Surgery -20lbs & Optifast -15lbs. Year 1 Loss after RNY: 131lbs

**Half the woman I was**

fromfattohealthy
on 1/25/17 8:02 am - Canada

Thank you :)

I was told I would get through the process fairly quickly (like you, I am healthy, other than weight ( not on any meds, no sleep apnea). I had all the required testing done early - and do not require any additional tests as of yet. (crossing my fingers). I personally do not feel I need to see a psychologist, but I will leave that up the professionals to decide :) (as it doesn't seem like I have a choice in the matter anyways)

When you said the doctor approved you, does that mean to go ahead with the surgery or the rest of the process?

Jo0710
on 1/25/17 8:40 am

The doctor said we need 3 signatures for approval.  So I got his the first time so he approved me for surgery but I still had to get the approval from the dietician and social worker.  

RNY Jan 16/17 Surgery @ St. Mikes with Dr. Rotstein. Pre-Surgery -20lbs & Optifast -15lbs. Year 1 Loss after RNY: 131lbs

**Half the woman I was**

fromfattohealthy
on 1/25/17 8:45 am - Canada

Awesome, thank you so much :)

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

crqvingchange
on 1/25/17 10:04 am

You're going to do great, you've got this girl.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Loril1963
on 1/25/17 4:25 pm
RNY on 10/28/16

For me I met the surgeon one day. Very easy he went over the procedure. Next visit I had all three in one day. Nurse went over all the vitamins and took blood pressure. Dietician went over my food log for last three days and then social worker. The social worker was the toughest appointment by far!  The want to know you, your mind set about what you are about to go through.  What plans you have to change your eating behaviour. It's a really good session and eye opener. 

Most Active
Recent Topics