What are you eating/doing today? (Friday)

Zizzler
on 3/25/16 6:30 am, edited 3/25/16 1:47 pm

Good morning everyone and happy Friday!  Off today but need to study for an exam on Tuesday next week, so I will be busy.  Going to try to get in as much self-care stuff as possible to break up the studying.  I have been off track in my eating lately.  I made the mistake of eating a fresh pretzel they have by the cash at my work and now I am completely addicted to them.  I am so disappointed in myself, I bring a nice lunch and snacks but I buy junk instead sometimes.  Also, I am able to eat more food than ever, which worries me.  The other day I ate a 10oz rib no problem with a few veggies as well and a slice of cake.  That had to be 4-5oz of meat, which I have never been able to eat before.  Mind you I felt overly full afterwards but it bothered me that my "tool" did not remind me to stop.  To be honest, even though I knew this would happen I am really disappointed that this tool does not provide the same benefit further out.  I know it is my choice when I stop eating but I feel like I am more or less the same as before surgery at this point.  I will struggle with this every day for the rest of my life, surgery or not, there is no magical cure that comes from this surgery. Even when you make it to your goal weight you need to be very careful not to regain. 

Well enough complaining, I am determined to continue on a good path.  Today I am at mostly at home so it will be easy to eat properly as I do not keep junk in my house.  I plan to do a restorative zero gravity yoga class today for the first time (wish me luck, I will be suspended in midair evidently) and do my regular gym routine of weights and elliptical machine.  Other than that I will be cleaning the house, studying, playing video games, and taking naps.  Studying is exhausting so I take naps, it keeps me from stress eating.

19 months post op

b - gnc lean banana protein shake with sf loran apple oil added

s - protein shake at the gym

l - eggwhite psyllium wrap with something in it, probably a little pb and low carb jam

s - same as lunch

d - eggwhite psyllium wrap stuffed with something savoury like kidney beans, hot sauce, a little margarine

s - 1 cup dill pickle sunflower seeds in shell

all water and vits, have a great day everyone!

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/16 6:40 am, edited 3/24/16 11:40 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Welcome to a few years post op.  Many still have restriction years out and others have nothing that is why it's so important to not give into 'treats' so you don't get used to having them.  Why not avoid bringing cash to work so you can't buy anything and be forced to eat your lunch and snacks that you brought.  Not sure if you buy your drinks at work but if you do, just bring enough just for that and if you don't normally buy something there daily then don't go near it until you can no longer want the crap they have.  It's harder each and every day after the first 18 months or so.

ETA:  It's Friday LOL

Zizzler
on 3/25/16 1:58 pm

Oops,  ha ha changed it to Friday! lol 

I like your idea but I pay by credit card or debit and I like having my cards with me for emergencies.  What I really lack lately is motivation, I just feel exhausted and am turning to food more often now.  I agree I need to not have it until I no longer want it, that is the only way to get this monkey off my back! 

crqvingchange
on 3/25/16 6:49 am

Hey Zizzler. sorry that you are struggling.  I read that our new tool holds 3-4 oz. and up to a cup when we are this far out, and that before WLS our stomach could hold 35 oz.  Before WLS you probably could have eaten a few of those ribs.  As for pretzels I think they awaken the carb monster in us so you may have to white knuckle it and detox from carbs for a while.  Pampering yourself with a home spa day and a trip to yoga sounds like a good plan.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Zizzler
on 3/25/16 2:06 pm

Hey CC, how are you doing?  I must have eaten close to 2 cups of food all together, did not think it was possible.  I feel so disappointed in myself, in the surgery, like I am going to screw everything up.  I realize now that I have become dependent on my tool to control the amount I eat rather than using my brain, that has to change.  I need to get back to all the things I was doing pre-op and for years before surgery, eating clean and staying on track as much as is possible.  Omg, this is so hard.  I am so glad that I have you guys to vent to, I don't think anyone else really understands.

crqvingchange
on 3/25/16 5:25 pm, edited 3/25/16 10:26 am

I'm doing well apart from a nasty cold that I picked up this week.  Right now I'm finding it hard to eat anything.  Everything seems to upset my stomach.

Maintenance is hard, not doubt about that.  I'm pretty sure I could eat 2 cups of yogurt, or popcorn.  I think Nia is right when she says go back to basics and start measuring food again.  Remember you can always call your Centre and ask for help.  You have been under a lot of stress lately.  That may have contributed to you self-sabotaging.  We are definitely here for you, but we are not professionals and they have the knowledge to help you deal with stress and find out what's going on.  You are so worthy of your goal my friend, sending hugs.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Zizzler
on 3/29/16 1:49 pm

Hey Cc, hope you are feeling better.  I might give my centre a call if I keep struggling, good idea. Bottom line is that it is up to me to do what I need to do regardless of what is going on in my life. I am getting back on the horse!

new_me180
on 3/25/16 9:44 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Lol Z. Your days are a bit off. Today is Friday although it does seem like a Saturday.

I hear you on the off plan eating. Maintenance is hard and i sometimes eat too much as well. It doesn't happen too often because i learnt my lesson one day when i was stuffed to the gills and i was shaking puking and almost passed out. I have come to the conclusion that i'm a food addict, sweets being my food of choice. Until i can tame it or control it totally, i will always struggle. Tracy had a good suggestion of not taking money with you so you won't be tempted to buy the pretzels. Just stick to weighing and measuring your foods (easier said than done sometimes) and try not to stress too much. I have actually done that a few times. If i don't have the money, i cannot buy it. Hang in there girl.

crqvingchange
on 3/25/16 12:08 pm

Very wise words Nia.  I think we all food addicts.  I've dieted for decades and I don't want to continue on that binge/diet rollercoaster.  This new feeling of being strong is worth more than that piece of bread or that sweet treat.  I used to smoke and I know that I can never be a social smoker, I was too much of an addict, that's why I never take that first puff of a cigarette because I would be right back to smoking a pack a day because I was an addict.  This will be a lifelong battle for me.  If I give in for more than a day it will turn into a week, than a month and I will be right back where I started.

Zizzler
on 3/25/16 2:30 pm

Ya, food is so addictive its true. I need to stay vigilant and not give up on my goals. 

Most Active
Recent Topics