Eating concern

tlj1974
on 1/30/16 4:24 pm

This may be a silly question but I am going to ask anyway.  I had a craving for pizza and I was late getting g home from shopping (for new clothes) and so I ordered a medium Greek pizza on thin crust.  I was shocked that I was able to eat two slices and I don't feel completely stuffed.  I am 2.5 months post op.  Should I be worried?

Leslie W.
on 1/30/16 5:49 pm - Cobourg, Canada

Just because you can does not mean you should. At 2 1/2 months stick close to diet plan. The first 6 months are golden. Stick to your protein first. Carbs last. Nerves are still reformimg

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Patm
on 1/30/16 7:28 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

The nerves were cut during surgery. You are sabatoging your success for a craving. Now is the time to learn to deal with craving. Either wait them out or make something else

birdiegirl
on 1/31/16 3:01 am

What would worry me - rather then the fact I could fit 2 slices in - is that I thought it was OK to go so far off plan.  Especially at this early stage.  Shocked that it wasn't just an impulsive mistake but a planned deviation as evidenced by 'ordering' the pizza rather then just a quick grab and go and then remorse.

Think back why you had this surgery and the hoops you went through to get it.  Think back to when you were obese and the feeling of self worth you experienced. 

Only you can decide to be a success and to maintain that success. 

Some make it and some don't.  It all comes down to you and your desire to succeed and to maintain that success.  Yes its hard.  Sure beats the alternative though which is obesity - morbid obesity or super morbid obesity.

I hope you choose health and wellness.

Laura in Texas
on 1/31/16 1:38 pm

I wish I could like this reply 1000 times.

It is definitely all about choices and 100% up to us to make the choice to lose the weight and keep it off.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Zizzler
on 1/31/16 6:52 am

I agree with everyone else that yes this is concerning, both that you are able to eat that much and also that it appears to not be a one-time thing for you.  I have to admit that I gave in to cravings a couple of times in the months after surgery and I also posted about it.  At the time I was really horrified by the response, I mean surely after 2 months of following the plan completely I was entitled and deserved a treat?  Luckily the good folks on this board set me straight and told me to stick to plan and that it was not ok to eat junk.  That is the truth but for anyone who has used food as a reward it can be a tough pill to swallow. My advice to you is to contact your centre, they can help you best, whether its nutritional or behavioural guidance you need.  Above all you do not want to waste this "magical" period by eating junk.  Take it from me at 1.5 years out this magic will end and if you are used to eating junk the weight will come back.  I wish you all the best, please come back and let us know how things are going with you.  I think it is a really positive thing that you posted your experience and I hope that you take the comments as they are intended, which is to help you.

White Dove
on 1/31/16 7:03 am - Warren, OH

Did you have surgery without any education on how to eat afterwards?  Were you taught about portion sizes, eating high protein, low carb, tracking calories, fat, fiber, protein and carbs?

If you had surgery without education, that is like giving a child the keys to your car and not teaching her how to drive.

Get some help with this before you fail completely.  You need to learn how to eat to lose the weight and maintain the loss. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

tlj1974
on 1/31/16 3:36 pm

I thank you all for your replies.  Yes it was very stupid of me to do and I do not want to be the failure I've always been.  I do not want to be where I was 3 months ago.  I need to get back to support group but that is not until the end of the month.

tatirod
on 1/31/16 5:55 pm - Toronto, Canada

I'm just about 3 months post op, so I too wonder about whether or not I'm eating properly. I think the important thing is that you recognized this was most likely a mistake of sorts. We are all human and make mistakes, we didn't get to our heavy weight by making the best choices. As others have said, this is the time to stick to the plan and learn from our prior bad choices. Don't give up. We all need to learn how to deal with our cravings... What is driving them? You need to think about that and deal with it to be successful in this journey. That's what I have come to believe any way.

good luck!

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

Karen M.
on 2/1/16 3:53 am - Mississauga, Canada

Where do you live? I'm planning a coffee night in Mississauga next week, you're welcome to join us.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics