is it normal to feel sad after surgery?

Canadajet
on 11/20/15 11:49 am

I had my surgery on Monday.  Today is the first day being home alone (hubby went back to work).  My daughter asked if I could make my home made pizza for her and her friends tonight.  I thought no big deal I will take my time.  I then I started to cry because I realized I can't eat this food.  I know many of you have had the surgery and did you feel this way?  My hubby told me not to make the pizza he will deal with it when he gets home.  My 14 yr old does not understand and it was not done maliciously.  Just a chop old asking mom to do something she always did.  I think my reaction is over the top????

HKT53
on 11/20/15 12:20 pm - Toronto, Canada

Dont let it get you down. Yes, it is quite natural to go through emotions just after surgery. But you can do it. I made a point to make nice dinners for my children. But I also did it for therapy. I didn't let food get such a hold on me. I am determined that I will not let food break me down to tears. My kids never meant to put me through the test of making pizza for them, I chose to rise to the occasion. Besides, think of it this way...in the past when you were on different diets and not loosing...didn't you say to yourself. "I swear the food is penetrating my pours in my hands and that is why I didnt loose weight this week". Ah, you know what I'm talking about...its true right? I did many times. Now when I roll that dough and place the cheese on the pizza, I think, at least my stomach will not have adverse reaction over the smell and handling the dough. It can be your little guilty pleasure. Smell it, just don't eat it. Mind you when it was ready to eat, I left the room. But the love in making something for my kids, well that's who I am. In a few months from now, you can have a taste of that home made pizza but use gluten free dough and chew, chew, chew, savour, savour, savour. I will not let food dictate who I am and you will never, never be reduced to tears again.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

Canadajet
on 11/20/15 12:52 pm

Thank you so much for your kind and supportive words.  It helps to know that I am not alone with these feelings.  

northernga1
on 11/20/15 4:18 pm - Elliot Lake, Canada

our fat holds our estrogen so as we lose weight we end up with a rush of hormones.  Its totally normal to feel a little weepy here and there, it will get easier as you lose weight and your family will understand.  I didnt cry a lot but i have read its pretty normal, i have had what seems to be a never ending pms the last few months it comes and goes and i feel like i just want to scream and get so frusterated with everyone but that again is likely the rush of hormones being released. 

Referral Feb 14 2014; Orientation July 30 2014; 1 on 1's Feb 17, 2015; Pre op May 27 2015; Surgery date June 16, 2015

MonaLisaSmile
on 11/20/15 5:46 pm - Canada

Its perfectly normal.  So many changes, so quickly.  This process is not only a test physically...its a HUGE test emotionally !!!!!

You really go through a lot of different stages.  You have to bid farewell to a lot of old habits that have been a source of comfort likely for a very long time, and readjust and find joy in other things (hopefully healthier things).  Its a lot to deal with...just take it one day at a time.

I will tell you the same thing many people told me early on............everyday it gets a little easier !!!

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Karen M.
on 11/21/15 1:10 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I feel for you. So normal. Aside from the emotional struggle we have with our attachment to food, notherngal was right about the hormones and such being released with weight loss in the glycogen stores. This too shall pass.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics