Question - Food timing - One month post-op

Andie74
on 6/5/15 10:22 am
RNY on 05/05/15

I'm a bit confused with the information I have regarding eating.....   I'm supposed to try to eat three meals plus two snacks.   Unfortunately, I haven't been able to eat as much in one sitting as I'm supposed to, so I've followed the instructions to put it aside and try to get back to eating it later in the day.    Between all the snacks and meals and 'seconds' for the meals, I feel like I've moved into grazing territory.    I'm pretty sure I can't be doing it right because for the last two days I have GAINED a pound each day.   All in all, I've lost 22lbs this month so I'm on track generally....but I think the late night catch-up eating is backfiring.  

Any advice or interpretation of the rules that I'm missing?  

NorthernStar
on 6/5/15 11:17 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

That's pretty normal. For the first little while, I felt like I was constantly eating. Between eating my scheduled meals and sipping my water, my hand was constantly going for my mouth. Make your meal plan and aim for your protein targets; beyond that just do your best. Don't feel you need to sit and continue a meal, you don't need to force yourself to eat. As long as you are eating your protein first and hitting your water targets, I wouldn't sweat the rest of it. It will all come together.

Also, don't worry about the small spike up on the scale, it happens from time to time for a number of reasons. I would often stay the same or go up a pound for several days, then have a 'whoosh' where I would lose several pounds. There's no logic to it, it just happens.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Catw
on 6/5/15 12:04 pm - Arnprior, Canada

It can be confusing for the first while.  As long as you are eating in order (protein, veggies, carbs), you'll be fine.  Aim for 3 meals and 2 snack times.  If you don't get the full amount in, don't worry about it.  Just keep aiming for your protein amounts, and your water amounts.  Getting to your full cup of food per meal takes a while.  If you are not getting your full protein amounts in, try a protein shake.

Right now, your protein and water should be your main concern.  As for the weight gain, there is lots of reasons.  A few are Time of Month, salt intake, etc.  It will come off.

Cathy

Andie74
on 6/5/15 1:24 pm
RNY on 05/05/15

Thanks Guys.   I'll try to stay the course.

mum2TNT
on 6/5/15 1:29 pm - Oshawa, Canada

Hi there   I am just 5 weeks out myself, but at my 1 month dietitian group meeting she said if you find yourself sitting there after 60 minutes trying to finish your meal.....to just leave it.  That doesn't mean you have to try to fini**** later.  She said to make sure we are not eating all the time, like at least 4 hours between meals and at least 2 hours before a snack.  As long as your protein is at least 70g a day and you are managing to get in most of your water you are probably good.  Are you just full?

Chrissy  ~~~  doctor referral May 29/14; info session Aug 18/14surgeon appt Dr. Starr  Oct 15/14dietitian, social worker & nurse Dec 11/142nd appts dietitian, SW & nurse Jan 19/15;  Dr. Glazer Feb 25/15; 2 weeks OPTIFAST April 15/15; surgery date April 29/15    AGE: 48   HEIGHT: 5'6"  

Andie74
on 6/5/15 4:54 pm
RNY on 05/05/15

I've just been managing to get the minimum 60g of protein a day.... and I rarely eat longer than half an hour.   I get most of my protein from shakes and even feel full from one of those.   Definitely getting all my water though.  

Most Active
Recent Topics