Dairy free alternative to Opti

Incognito55
on 6/1/15 6:09 pm, edited 6/1/15 6:10 pm - Toronto, Canada

Hi everyone...

I am new, but a very serious lurker-I am learning so much!

I have an allergy to whey and casein which would make the opti especially painful for me to complete. I did do a search and saw that a dietician from TWH approved Vega protein as an alternative for someone in 2011. I was just curious if someone had dealt with this more recently? I have emailed that dietician (wasn't mine but is still at TWH) to confirm this is possible.  

I have my appointment w the surgeon (Dr Grantcharov from St mikes) on June 26 and want to have all the info. Does he have to "okay" the shake or the dietician? Also, what happens at this surgeon appointment? 

I work with children all summer so ideally I would love to have surgery scheduled for September, but am feeling weirdly guilty about declining a possibly earlier date? Am I allowed to? Will that put me at the end of the line?

sorry for so many questions! Once I started, I couldn't stop!

thanks in advance!

redviking
on 6/1/15 7:39 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

I'm lactose intolerant and the dietician provided me with a lactose free alternative to Optifast. Just make sure the dietician is aware of your issues. 

Sonja

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

Incognito55
on 6/1/15 7:50 pm - Toronto, Canada

Thanks for your reply Sonja!  The dietician my appointment was with offered me the lactose free option, but it still has whey and casein in it. She seemed puzzled as to what I was going to do. 

I have emailed a dietician who has approved VEGA as al alternative and I hope that will be okay for me as well.

Tivvany
on 10/30/15 6:42 pm - Canada

Hi Sonja,

The Kingston Dietician is new and filling in for a mat leave...she doesn't know about a dairy free option.

May I ask what it is called?

Thanks so much,

Tiffany

northernga1
on 6/2/15 7:52 am - Elliot Lake, Canada

i am lactose intolerant and on day two of optifast, so far i am doing well and having no issues.  Perhaps they can give you some samples to try out and see how you react?  Id rather have diarrhea then be constipated at this point though since starting this process this last year i have really come to know my body so well and decided to try optifast and not go the alternative route, i might regret it in a few days but so far i have had zero issues

Referral Feb 14 2014; Orientation July 30 2014; 1 on 1's Feb 17, 2015; Pre op May 27 2015; Surgery date June 16, 2015

Incognito55
on 6/2/15 8:04 am - Toronto, Canada

Thanks for the reply!

the issue is that my chest gets congested...before the allergy was diagnosed I was getting diagnosed with bronchitis or pneumonia and no medication was relieving the congestion.

its a small and uncomfortable price to pay, but I am concerned come the day of surgery when my breathing is strained and I'm coughing up phlegm they won't want to operate on me.

Ontario_Girl
on 6/2/15 11:56 am - Canada

I have a dairy sensitivity and it triggers my eczema... fortunately since ive been on opti, I have developed 2 lovely eczema spots on my arms but no where else. Luckily topical creams help with that. Hope you find some answers!

Just a girl trying to become a better ME. Healthier ME. Learning to be happy with ME and love ME. One day at a time.

avivaps
on 6/3/15 3:55 pm
RNY on 02/28/12

For religious reasons my friend could not use optifast.  She was given a strict low cal diet to follow by the humber dietician.  There should be some sort of alternative for you too.

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

Tivvany
on 10/30/15 6:44 pm - Canada

Hi,

Did you hear back about the Vega option?

Thanks so much!

Most Active
Recent Topics