Intolerance to Optifast

Amanda F.
on 4/22/15 6:26 am - Oshawa, Canada

Hello, I am on Day 3 of Optifast and I have continuously been throwing up since I started. I contacted the HRRH clinic and they gave me a new diet to follow but I am very worried that my liver won't shrink enough before surgery. Has anyone else gone through this before. They think its because of my lactose intolerance.

Also I have over 2.5 weeks of Optifast left over. Not sure if I can sell it.

Thanks your help.

BluIzGal
on 4/22/15 6:35 am - Canada
RNY on 07/10/12

I'm sure the diet they recommend will be satisfactory. I did three weeks of opti. While I lost close to 20 lbs I still had a large/fatty liver. If you read the main boards (general discussion and RNY) you'll find many having surgery with a pre-op diet that consists of clear fluids for just the day before. 

happypants
on 4/22/15 7:08 am - Ottawa, Canada

Hi Amanda,

Did you try Gravol before deciding you couldn't tolerate Optifast?  Seems odd to me that you have lived your life up to this point and not realized you were lactose intolerant.

A friend of mine is an emergency room nurse and she said they are working overtime trying to keep up with patients showing up with the flu like symptoms. Not saying this is the case with you however. I just wanted to point out that there is a lot of flu going on, her words "they are dropping like flies".

All the best with your upcoming surgery!

Ann

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

Amanda F.
on 4/22/15 8:41 am - Oshawa, Canada

Thanks Ann! Yeah I tried gravol. I should clarify, I was always lactose intolerant and I let them know through the whole process. While I was waiting to hear from the dietician today I stopped drinking the opti and felt much better and stopped vomiting. I just hope that even if I have the dieticians alternate pre-op diet that it won't affect me having surgery on May 11.

Karen M.
on 4/22/15 9:27 am - Mississauga, Canada

When I had my surgery 9 years ago there was no such thing as a required Optifast pre-op diet. I was put on a liver shrinking diet of lean protein and green veggies for 7 days (I was excited, did 14 days lol) and my liver was perfect.  I basically ate chicken breast or steak and salad for every meal, no issues at all.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

LeslieT
on 4/22/15 11:59 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 05/22/15

They regularly use alternatives for people who can't handle Optifast for whatever reason. Aspartame is a migraine trigger for me so I won't be using Optifast.

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/15 4:23 am - Mississauga, Canada

There is defintely an alternative to Optifast. The dietician at TWH gave me a sample of Opti and a sample of this other one that is sweetened with Splenda.  They don't advertise having it but if someone is intolerant to Opti, they will give the other one. I think it is called Body Slim or something like that.

redviking
on 4/27/15 1:45 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

I have been lactose intolerant for 20 years.  My centre put me on an alternative liquid diet right from the start and my Dr was really pleased with my 11 pound weight loss in the 2 weeks.  

I was on a shake that I had to make from lactose free skim milk, carnation instant breakfast and beneprotein powder from the pharmacy. I could only have 3 a day. I had no lactose symptoms.  I think it worked out to be around the same cost. 

Sonja

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

Amanda F.
on 4/27/15 3:07 am - Oshawa, Canada

Thank you everyone for your help. Update: I have been following the prescribed diet to a T and I am feeling much better. I am down 14 pounds since Last Monday.

Most Active
Recent Topics