What are you eating/doing today? (Thursday)

Zizzler
on 4/23/15 6:31 am

This afternoon I had a near meltdown, I ate my pb28 bread too fast and it got stuck.  Have not had that happen in months, it was so awful to be at work heaving and spitting up. definite sign I need to slow down and relax.  I have been skipping my lunch and breaks but I need them to refresh.  What do you do to help during a long day?

Karen M.
on 4/23/15 8:41 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Ugh. That really is miserable isn't it. I tend to bring things for lunch that I know (simply from experience and trial and error) will definitely sit well. Starchy things tend to sit in my gut like a rock at times and potentially put me into a carb-coma, so it's very rare that I would have anything for lunch that involves bread, etc. Small whole wheat tortillas seem to be the exception to this and always sit just fine.

I don't know what your job involves (i.e. how much desk time, walking time, meeting time, etc.) or how regimented your breaks/lunch are. For me, I'm working at my desk the majority of time overall but it's very busy and unpredictable and I do have several meetings (long/planned meetings and spur of the moment issue-resolving meetings). I've resigned myself to the fact that planned break times don't always work out.

What works best for ME is: I pack lunch and snacks for the day in my lunch kit (with freezer packs) and keep it at my desk. The goal is to eat what's in there over the day as I tend to get busy and just not eat. Since I don't get "hunger feelings", this can happen easily and then find myself shaky and nauseous because my body is on empty. I open my morning snack as soon as I get to work (usually yogurt) and start eating it while I work, then a couple of hours later move onto part of the lunch, etc. As long as I finish the majority of the food I brought, I'm good.

As for breaks - they're hugely important of course but I do realize they don't always happen. I make myself get up from my desk and go for a short (like 5 minutes) walk outside. If something I'm working on has to be delivered to a different department, I walk it over instead of putting it in inter-office or having our admin deliver it. At lunch I do the same but for a little longer. Even just 10 minutes away outside the building refreshes the brain. I think before you mentioned you're unionized? I'm surprised that you're not all over your break times and lunch period and making sure you get them. lol (No offence to unions of course!)

Anyway. Apparently I'm rambling. I think it'll just take some time for you to set some routines and some limits.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Zizzler
on 4/24/15 9:19 am

Great ideas Karen, thank you.  I don't have to skip lunch and breaks, I just am trying to keep on top of things and prove I can get the job done. My position was cut several years ago and (the union did absolutely nothing to stop it) and I just don't want to ever be in that position again. But there is a limit and I think I have reached it after several weeks of madness. Next week I will make time for breaks, even if it is just 5-10 minutes as you said, it makes a big difference. Its not just the lack of breaks, its the overtime that really gets to you.

Patm
on 4/22/15 9:48 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Good morning all. It is amazing how energetic you can feel with a good nights sleep. I think most of the construction is done for now. I think next week it is just the company coming to pull wires through the conduit they put up.

Off to my woman's group meeting tonight.

I received my hours for pan am/Parapan am. I have days I start at 5:00am. This should be interesting for someone who is not a morning person.

b greek yogurt sunrise cereal, raspberries

s apple

l chili, yogurt

s laughing cow, crackers

d leftover turkey meatloaf, salad

s tea

cal 1160, carb 133, prot 98

new_me180
on 4/23/15 12:23 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Ok everyone, thank you for such great support. It's really appreciated. I'm heading out the door right now and brrr it's cold. Oh well, talk to you later.

Most Active
Recent Topics