Pre-op freakouts?

margarita_mrs
on 4/21/15 9:34 am

Hey folks!

Getting excited and terrified about my surgery in May.  I know it's normal to have these feelings....but I'm wondering what helped you get over the freak outs?

Thanks for any advice you've got!

Referral sent- June/July 2014  Orientation GGH- Aug. 28/14  SW/Nurse/Nutritionist- Sept. 18/15  SW/Nurse/Nutritionist Part 2- Nov. 18/15  Pre-surgery education class- Feb. 9/15  Meet surgeon - Mar. 23/15  Surgery date- May 29, 2015  A great day to start a new chapter in my life!

Dreamy74
on 4/21/15 9:46 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Hi margarita sorry to hear you are having freak outs.  I had a few myself (my surgery was this past February).  I just kept reminding myself that at some point after surgery, my PCOS might be cured and my sleep apnea might go away altogether.  I also kept telling myself that I wouldn't get diabetes like doctors have been telling me for years.  I also looked to the site to see how well post-op and veterans alike were doing with their weight losses/journeys and it motivated me to stay calmer for the most part, and to keep my eye on the prize.  You can do it!

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

Meggles07
on 4/21/15 9:50 am - Canada

I had my surgery in March, and I had the same freak out right up until I was waiting in the hallway outside the OR.  One thing I kept thinking was that I didn't want to not have the surgery and then 10 years down the road regret that I didn't do it when I could.  I also made a pros and cons list.  Let's just say that the pros list was a lot longer and more compelling.  Now I'm so glad that I did it, and that I didn't let the freak outs take over :)

Libby R.
on 4/21/15 11:52 am - Aurora, CO

Keep thinking about the alternative. You don't have the surgery and stay as you are, still struggling on your own to lose the weight. Keep your mind on the goal and trust your surgeon. You chose him/her for a reason. 

happypants
on 4/22/15 6:51 am - Ottawa, Canada

Its perfectly normal to be frightened by the unknown. As obese people we have been told throughout this journey we are high risk for one reason or anther mainly because of our size so its little wonder as we get closer to our surgery we get "freaked out" or cold feet.

I had my surgery almost four years ago now. At the time Ottawa had only two doctors performing the wls's I was terrified because of the lack of experience seemingly (or so I thought) . One doctor was a trauma surgeon the other was just learning how to preform the wls's. Every other day I was questioning if I was making a mistake. 

I did a lot of soul searching, I did as much research as I could possible do. No rock was left unturned so to speak, this was very empowering for me. When my surgery day finally arrived I felt that I was ready to handle whatever came my way. 

I remember the day of my surgery sitting waiting for the nurse to do the usual blood-work. My spouse was so uptight the nurse pulled me aside and suggested I send him home because he wasn't helping the situation at all (laughing), I did. 

I felt this complete and utter calm that day. I felt that no matter what, this was no longer in my hands and I had to trust things were going to turn out fine.....and they did. I lost 128 lbs gained 10 lbs back and have since re-lost 5 lbs haha so what will be will be :-) 

So a lot of rambling on here today but long story short read as much as possible so you are going in with your eyes wide open. Have faith in your surgical team, you will be in amazing hands. They have done hundreds of these surgeries. Follow the optifast rules so that your liver is in the best shape it can be in.....

All the best in May!!

Ann

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

HFA70
on 4/23/15 3:50 am

I had a full out anxiety attack the day before my surgery.

I thought about cancelling.  The first question I had asked the surgeon when I met him, was how many people have died on the operating table.  He told me zero, people have however died waiting to have the surgery.

I had zero complications throughout this process, although everyone's experience is different, you will be very well looked after.

Your life after the scars heal will be like a new beginning! I can't tell you not to worry or have concerns, you will do that anyway.

Best of luck on your journey!

margarita_mrs
on 4/23/15 8:50 am

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and wisdom.  The day I met my surgeon and listened to his track record, I was impressed.  Going through with it come hell or high water so those silly doubts can just go away.  I made a list when I hit  300 of all the things I couldn't do and recently reread it.  Watching YouTube testimonials, and getting inspired by before and afters have helped a lot.  

Referral sent- June/July 2014  Orientation GGH- Aug. 28/14  SW/Nurse/Nutritionist- Sept. 18/15  SW/Nurse/Nutritionist Part 2- Nov. 18/15  Pre-surgery education class- Feb. 9/15  Meet surgeon - Mar. 23/15  Surgery date- May 29, 2015  A great day to start a new chapter in my life!

Most Active
Recent Topics