Applying for EI during recovery

Amanda F.
on 4/15/15 11:35 pm - Oshawa, Canada

Hello, I am having surgery soon (May 11) woohoo! almost there. I just have a question. My work is allowing me to have 6 weeks off work. But I was wondering about EI. To apply for EI I am sure a doctor would have to fill out some paperwork or something. Would that be the surgeon that would determine how many weeks you need off work and fill out the paperwork for EI or would it be your family doctor.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Amanda

Dreamy74
on 4/15/15 11:49 pm
RNY on 02/04/15

Hi Amanda!

YAY!  Congrats on your upcoming surgery!

You do need a note from the doctor/nurse practitioner/surgeon stating that you are having surgery on May 11th and will need 6 weeks off.  I forgot to ask the surgeon at my appointment so my family doctor ended up writing my note for me. 

You won't necessarily have to submit this to EI (they will let you know if you do) but it is mandatory to have one in case they ask for it.  Also, if your employer can file your Record of Employment electronically, you can apply to EI online through the Service Canada website.  Let me know if you have any further questions as I had my surgery on February 4th and went through applying for EI, etc.  Be sure to apply the first day you are off as there is a two week waiting period for benefits.

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

Seyenna
on 4/16/15 5:41 am - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Don't forget that you'll lose 2 weeks worth as well. Grats and good luck on the upcoming surgery!

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

Most Active
Recent Topics