2 weeks out

Ipatton
on 12/20/14 9:42 am - Canada

Hello all,

I am now 2 weeks out and everything has gone so well, I feel awesome, not tired anymore, no pain, not a taste of nausea right from the start, I have been walking lots and "walking" on the elliptical when it has been gross outside.  I am excited to get back into a swimming routine a few times a week.

I am pretty used to protein shakes, from my athletic career I used them all the time so I have had no issues getting 100+ grams of protein in everyday, just sip sip sip. interesting thing is that it seems my diary sensitivity is now gone (maybe because most of my stomach is gone too)

I also followed up with my family Dr. and I am officially off of my Blood Pressure Meds (not because of the surgery, but likely the 50 lbs I lost prior to surgery since being diagnosed with the hypertension). 

I haven't been active on here all that much, but I have done some writing about my experience and I think I might share it blog style in a bit, I'm calling it "The Weightless Bariatric"  - mainly because I am not tracking weight at all, this journey for me had nothing to do with weigh and everything to do with health (weight is a terrible indication of individual health).  I have no idea how much I have lost and even in the hospital did not look at the scale when they measured me.  My success will be measured by my health and the life I live. The blog kind of combines my experience with obesity and WLS mixed with my life as an academic in the obesity research world.  

anyways I thought I would check in, any tips for this puree food stage would be welcomed!

Ipatton
on 12/20/14 9:42 am - Canada

Hello all,

I am now 2 weeks out and everything has gone so well, I feel awesome, not tired anymore, no pain, not a taste of nausea right from the start, I have been walking lots and "walking" on the elliptical when it has been gross outside.  I am excited to get back into a swimming routine a few times a week.

I am pretty used to protein shakes, from my athletic career I used them all the time so I have had no issues getting 100+ grams of protein in everyday, just sip sip sip. interesting thing is that it seems my diary sensitivity is now gone (maybe because most of my stomach is gone too)

I also followed up with my family Dr. and I am officially off of my Blood Pressure Meds (not because of the surgery, but likely the 50 lbs I lost prior to surgery since being diagnosed with the hypertension). 

I haven't been active on here all that much, but I have done some writing about my experience and I think I might share it blog style in a bit, I'm calling it "The Weightless Bariatric"  - mainly because I am not tracking weight at all, this journey for me had nothing to do with weigh and everything to do with health (weight is a terrible indication of individual health).  I have no idea how much I have lost and even in the hospital did not look at the scale when they measured me.  My success will be measured by my health and the life I live. The blog kind of combines my experience with obesity and WLS mixed with my life as an academic in the obesity research world.  

anyways I thought I would check in, any tips for this puree food stage would be welcomed!

jaxie77
on 12/20/14 10:20 am, edited 12/20/14 10:21 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Hello Sir ! 

Well done to you for doing so well this past couple weeks . I'm glad you are having no issues and feeling good . I'm hoping my journey goes the same way , and it has done really for last 4 days . Although I did have one bout of nausea and ended up dry heaving on Wednesday night . But I think it was that I was so overwhelmed , everyone had called one after the other ...no food ...percocet in my tummy ....! It was scary but I felt better after and have had zero nausea since then . Still tired and weak but feel good overall .

I applaud you for not looking at the scale and making not about the number . I agree it is a bad indicator of your health . But ...I do like to see it go down ! This may be stereotypical but that may be a woman thing ....lol ! I am doing this soley for the benefit of my health though. And it irks me that other people don't see that . My mother in law for example ...All she keeps saying is how she  cant wait until I'm a size 8 !!! Hubby ended up telling her straight today and telling her to just stop .....it's nothing to do with how we look it's about our health .

Id love to read your blog when it's available. You have an excellent approach to this experience and process . I'm sure you'll do a great job with it and it will be an insightful  read .

So you are on pureed now ? What has been your go to food the last week ? I tried greek yoghurt which was yummy but it did make me feel full . I managed about 4 teaspoons . I have tried light blended mushroom soup and broth ....along with 2 protien shakes a day and a couple of tbsp of protien powder where I can . So I'm confident I'm getting in enough for these first few days.

Keep me posted on how you are dear . And keep up the good work , you're doing awesome :))

Jax x  

Ipatton
on 12/20/14 10:38 am - Canada

I pretty much followed the plan they had sent me with from the hospital for the last 2 weeks, protein shakes, soups, cottage cheese, yogurt, oatmeal and cream of wheat, mixed unflavoured protein in everything I could, had some V8 juice when I was craving veggies.

now with the puree foods, I tried a poached egg, and made some pureed sweet potato and had some mashed fish. tomorrow I am going to puree some of the wife's chilli that she has been teasing me with for the last 2 weeks. I find I am much fuller with the puree andreally have to focus on eating slow, I even pulled out my daughters baby spoons and bowls. 

your doing well too, I think we were in good hands at TWH ( who was your surgeon?) keep it up, and keep me posted, it is nice to have a buddy who is going through the same things. 

Ipatton
on 12/20/14 10:38 am - Canada

I pretty much followed the plan they had sent me with from the hospital for the last 2 weeks, protein shakes, soups, cottage cheese, yogurt, oatmeal and cream of wheat, mixed unflavoured protein in everything I could, had some V8 juice when I was craving veggies.

now with the puree foods, I tried a poached egg, and made some pureed sweet potato and had some mashed fish. tomorrow I am going to puree some of the wife's chilli that she has been teasing me with for the last 2 weeks. I find I am much fuller with the puree andreally have to focus on eating slow, I even pulled out my daughters baby spoons and bowls. 

your doing well too, I think we were in good hands at TWH ( who was your surgeon?) keep it up, and keep me posted, it is nice to have a buddy who is going through the same things. 

jaxie77
on 12/20/14 10:54 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Sounds good ! Yes I think we had a good team at TWH .....so awesome there , I would actually say the whole experience from start to finish was pleasant for me .My pain was very well controlled , they were very nice to me and I just felt really comfortable the wholé time . My surgeon was Dr Okrainec . I did not see much of him .Once before I went in to the OR and once after , he came by and told me I had a perfect surgery :)) ....He was really nice tho and I've heard really good things about him . 

I had some V8 today too ...and man was it delicious !! I really needed that strong savory flavour and it was very satisfying . I don't plan on making them a daily thing as they have lots of sodium and carbs in them . But yeah I enjoyed it . An egg sounds good to me too right now ...but the absence of hunger is really strange . My hubby asked me what it was like , and I couldn't really explain it . It's juSt like a nothingness !! Very bizarre.

Anyway , yes let's keep in touch , you're right it's so nice to be able to share this experience along the way with people who k ow exactly how you are feeling and what you are going through. 

Good luck xx 

Jax xx

Patm
on 12/20/14 11:21 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

congratulations on you success to date. I wish I could stay off the scale but it is what keeps me in check at this point.

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/14 9:56 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Really inspiring post, please share more! I will be following your blog, if you decide to do that. I too am trying to no****ch the scale. I weigh in about once a week, but sometimes I even forget to do that. All I know is I feel better as each day passes. 

Great job, and congrats on your speedy recovery. 

"My success will be measured by my health, and the life I live" I absolutely love this, maybe I am a tad emotional today, but it made me tear up! This is such an emotional journey, and my poor quality of life was my main reason for moving forward with this. Not to be thin, just be healthy, and able. 

Please keep writing! 

Most Active
Recent Topics