Dealing with strong feelings post-op

Zizzler
on 12/2/14 9:42 am

Ok so the past week or so I have been all over the place emotionally.  Things have been very stressful at work and I have been angry at everyone and everything.  Has anyone else been dealing with being more emotional after surgery? If so, what have you been doing to cope with these strong feelings? I have been exercising, eating well, taking my vitamins, drinking my water, following the rules but still the problem persists.  I will feel ok and then suddenly not ok over things that normally do not bother me very much at all.  Is this my new normal? Will this eventually level off?  Anyone else go through this and did it get better?  About how long will this go on for?  It would help to know this will not be forever.

Patm
on 12/2/14 11:25 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

For some people it can be the hormonal dump. Hormones are stored in our fat. As we lose they are released into the blood stream. For me I find learning to deal with a new way of life has created inner stress. I do not alw3ways deal with it well.

I do finr meditation helps

Zizzler
on 12/3/14 10:35 am

Meditation is so awesome.  Sometimes when I wake up feeling full of anxiety I put on a meditation app and it helps me relax enough to get back to sleep.  Also cognitive behaviour therapy helps, paying attention to my thoughts and challenging whether they are true, replacing them with more self-loving thoughts. I find I am just so irritable and angry at times, I have little patience and that is not like me normally.  I guess this is what is meant by finding a new "normal"?  I feel I can deal with anything if I know I am not alone so thank you for your reply.

Loaf
on 12/2/14 10:31 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/31/14

in addition to PATM's Comments.  Testosterone is one of the big ones that is stored in the Fat.  So Man Or Woman... you suddenly have access to some stored testosterone.  could be causing your Aggressiveness.   I know for me. Especially at work i have a shorter fuse, and tolerate stupidity a lot less.

Zizzler
on 12/3/14 10:38 am

That is exactly it!  Before surgery I was able to go with the flow more, now things bother me more.  People **** me right off!  I feel like I want to punch something.  Makes me feel mean so I just try to keep to myself when those strong feeling come, warn people I am in a really bad mood. 

Karen M.
on 12/3/14 3:36 am - Mississauga, Canada

I don't know if you are on medication or not - if you are, you need to see the prescribing doctor. It's not working properly.

If you're not, I suppose you could wait out a "hormone dump" if that's what is causing it. What if it's not?

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Zizzler
on 12/3/14 10:42 am

Yes I am on the maximum dose of medication and I have seen my doctor about this several times.  She basically said to wait and see if it gets better or worse.  I am seeing my therapist tomorrow and then the dietician and behaviourist on Friday, so things are being dealt with to the max right now.  I agree that it is not good, I will be asking the behaviourist about this.

Most Active
Recent Topics