Doctors note

jaxie77
on 11/2/14 4:09 am, edited 11/2/14 4:11 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Hey all , 

Hope you are all well and enjoying this lovely day ! 

Just a wee note to ask about a Doctor's line . I have no surgeon at this point . I am booked in for RNY on December 16th at TWH , and won't find out my surgeon until much closer or that day . When I was told of my date via a video conference on Friday , with someone who was not my surgeon ....I did ask about time off . He said that he advises 4 weeks for most patients but it depends on the nature of your job for lesser or more time . I forgot to ask how I get a doctors line . 

My aftercare will be at Humber where all my original appointments were , and Dr Klien . Could I call and ask him for it ?Or could my own family Doc give it to me ? 

I cannot leave it until the date , my Supervisor would have a hissy fit !!! She will want all bases covered before then . I plan on giving her the date and timescale this week , but I will defo need to follow up with a note or line of some sort soon . 

Any info and advice much appreciated ladies and gents xx 

Jax x 

Delicious_Delilah
on 11/2/14 4:21 am - Ottawa, Canada

Call your Centre. They will be able to provide you with one. In my case, the Nurse Practitioner wrote the letter with four weeks as standard time off for the surgery. She informed that if I needed mire time, they would write that at my for week check-up. 

DD

Patm
on 11/2/14 5:05 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Each centre is probably different. TWH did not give a note until the surgery was done just in case there was a delay. The intern that came into see me the day I was discharged wrote me a letter. I then faxed it to my work

1HealthyMomma
on 11/2/14 6:09 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

I'm really not sure. I didn't get a note until my 1 week follow up. Just because I didn't think of it in the Hospital. I've never received a note before any of my surgeries. I just told my boss what day would be my last day and how long I would be off and that I needed an ROE for EI. After surgery I stopped by with a note saying my return day. Someone at your center should be able to tell you more.

Take Care

Lisa

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

Dale B.
on 11/2/14 7:05 am - Canada

I had my family doctor write my note and no issues with short term disability. My doctor wrote for 8 weeks. As for feeling good, I could have gone back after 2 weeks, but for eating wise, I'm glad I had the 8 weeks off.

Dale

Dale-Referral: October/12 ~ Orientation: January 2/13 ~ Nurse Practitioner:  May 7/13 Social Worker: May 7/13 ~ Sleep Test: May 23/13 ~ Nutrition Class: May 28/13 Nutrition Assess: May 31/13~ Psychologist: June 24/13 ~ Surgeon: August 9/13 ~ Pre-OP: August 28,2013Surgery Date: September 12/13        

Seyenna
on 11/2/14 7:57 am - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

I don't have coverage for short term disability through work (to my knowledge). How do I go about applying for that? I had initially planned to just use my vacation days since I hadn't used them this year, but EI might be a better option. I thin

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

1HealthyMomma
on 11/2/14 8:28 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14
On November 2, 2014 at 3:57 PM Pacific Time, Seyenna wrote:

I don't have coverage for short term disability through work (to my knowledge). How do I go about applying for that? I had initially planned to just use my vacation days since I hadn't used them this year, but EI might be a better option. I thin

I applied for EI sick benefits there is a 2 week wait period but we pay into it so why not use it. You just go to the site and apply online 10mins and done.

Take Care

Lisa

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

jaxie77
on 11/2/14 7:51 am, edited 11/2/14 7:52 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

OK thanks Ladies , that's great , a few different replies so I'm thinking I will maybe call them tomorrow and see what they say and then maybe call my own doctor and get a note from him . He knows me better , knows I tend to push myself also ...so I'm hoping he would sign me off longer . Not that I'm trying to skive off work () ...but I have a heavy caseload of clients ( I'm a personal support worker) and I have a very physical day most days . So I'd like the maximum if I can get it , then I can go back knowing I should be ok and have got to grips with all the phases and any issues that may have come up . 

Thanks again girls , I'll keep you posted :) 

Jax xx

mysha
on 11/2/14 12:17 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada

Here in Thunder Bay it is a standard six weeks with a review at one month...any hesitation on their part if you are not ready to go back they may add on extra weeks.

Most Active
Recent Topics