Anyone get ref. out of Ontario?

Curvy_Chic76
on 12/31/13 3:56 am - PORT ELGIN, Canada

I am wondering if anyone has experience getting OHIP to cover out of country (like at the Cleveland Clinic) etc. 

Can anyone fill me in on how the process may have gone for you if it did work out in the USA? 

Thank so much. 

Monica M.
on 12/31/13 4:37 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

They don't really do out of country any more, since we have so many resources here now. Why do you want it in the states?

Curvy_Chic76
on 12/31/13 4:44 am - PORT ELGIN, Canada

Thanks for your reply Monica-  well my family is in the US and the after care would be easier since I dont have the resources where I live - (Northern Ont) 

Not to mention -state of the art facilities. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/31/13 12:54 pm

ditto -- 

there are some fantastic hospitals in ontario that do it under OHIP coverage ....

(deactivated member)
on 12/31/13 4:54 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

No more going out of province or out of country. Your doc refers you to the Bariatric Registry and then you get assigned to the hospital for your area.

Curvy_Chic76
on 12/31/13 4:57 am - PORT ELGIN, Canada

Ha Tracey - I like your location - where exactly do you live ? I notice you are in the middle of BFN - I am too! 

and thanks so much for your reply :) Which procedure did you have? 

(deactivated member)
on 12/31/13 5:02 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I'm in South Porcupine.  I had self pay Lap-band done.

Curvy_Chic76
on 12/31/13 5:07 am - PORT ELGIN, Canada

Oh I know where you are outside of Timmins right? Yes you are in the middle of nowhere - but I bet it's beautiful and white up there right now! 

I had considered the lap band-  how long have you been out? and can you share why you choose it? 

(deactivated member)
on 12/31/13 5:14 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Yep we are part of Timmins but keep our identity.  LOL  It's cold as hell up here and very white for sure.  We just had a foot of snow the other day while it was -30C.  I had my band put in over 8 years ago.  At the time it was the best choice for me.  RNY was fairly new in Ontario, only a handful of surgeons doing it and the wait was up to 7 years long.  I had researched all surgeries available in Ontario at the time and the band suited me best.  Fast forward 8 years and I'd not make the same decision today that I did back then.  Timeframes are much shorter for surgeries, follow up is much better for the government funded surgeries now compared to back then. I don't regret my decision of 8 years ago at all but today things would be different if I had to make the choice all over again. I've seen too many people experience major issues with their bands over 5 years out, so it would be on the bottom of my list at this point.

Most Active
Recent Topics