Extreme tiredness?

Katiebear291
on 12/22/13 4:50 am - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

Ok it has been almost 2 weeks since surgery.  I am still sooooo tired- I hvr a good couple hour nap in the afternoon and I am still so tired I can't even get the energy up to do anything! Or go anywhere. Pre op I ha low energy levels but this is ridiculous!

is this normal or do I just need to get over it and push myself to get walking on the treadmill or something to get through it?

RNY  - December 10 2013 Dr Lindsay Toronto's Saint Joseph Hospital Toronto

NorthernStar
on 12/22/13 4:54 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I was also very tired after surgery for the first few weeks. It is totally normal. There are many people who feel energized but you and I are just not among them. Be sure you are getting in your protein, water and vitamins and don't ignore any other symptoms. If in doubt, check with your centre.

Walking and getting about your daily routine is very good, but don't push yourself too much. You just had major surgery. Rest and take naps when you need to. You will feel better soon. Truth be told, I was a little more back to normal around week 4 but it was probably week 7 before I started to feel really energetic. Everyone is different.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Katiebear291
on 12/22/13 5:22 am - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

Thank you - good to know that this is normal.  I know some people are already up and about their daily business.  I feel like I am being lazy jus****ching my husband (who just got home from the army for his christmas holidays) clean the house and cook and take care of our toddler.

Maybe it feels weird because I am so used to being alone and doing everything myself while he is away and now I can do none of it.

Can't wait to be healed.

RNY  - December 10 2013 Dr Lindsay Toronto's Saint Joseph Hospital Toronto

aidan
on 12/22/13 5:27 am - Canada
It get better! Make sure you are getting all of your protein in and vits and the rest will come.I thought there was no way that I could possibly go back to work after 4 weeks and then I started having more energy and feeling more normal. I napped every day of those 4 weeks off. Hang in there!

Diminishing Dawn
on 12/22/13 5:53 am - Windsor, Canada

It's not uncommon at all.  Many people experience this.  And yes, you just had major surgery so you do have to be kind to yourself.

On the flipside of this though is the fact that the more you push through with your walking, the more you'll develop stamina.  So while you do need some napping time, you also need to be MOVING.  I wouldn't walk on the treadmill but outside provided it's not too icy or even at the mall if you can.  The worst thing you can do is sit on the couch or in the bed all day.  You need to make sure you don't get any blood clots and again, you'll develop stamina. The more you give yourself a little push, the better you will generally feel.  No marathons or anything like that.  LOL

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Corinna H.
on 12/22/13 11:23 pm - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 07/03/13

2 weeks post op is still very new and it is okay to be tired. I was really tired at that point. I struggled at this point also. It was about 4 week post op and I really turned a corner and it has been totally different for me. Give yourself time, it is major surgery and you need to heal. Just working on that protein and water. It will be all good.

HW: 293.4 SW: 261.4 CW: 161 Referral - Dec 5/12.  Orientation: Feb 21/13. Upper GI and Ab u/s March 7/13. RN, NUT, SW Apr 8/13. 1st appt Dr. Klein Apr 11/13. fu NUT May 2/13. Dr. Glazer May 27/13. 2nd appt Dr. Klein June 3/13. Opti June 19/13. PATTS June 20/13 . RNY - July 3, 2013   

Most Active
Recent Topics