First bad experience with nausea

kayakgirl
on 12/6/13 7:21 am - Canada

I'm not sure whether it was this morning's scrambled eggs or this afternoon's Wendy's chili but one of them caused me a lot of discomfort today. I am 11 days out and had my first experience with horrible nausea today. I would have gladly thrown up but that didn't happen so....   I have a question about vomiting post-op (yech, I know). First of all I'm not sure that my tiny pouch actually has the wherewithall to expel food????? Secondly, in a situation like mine this afternoon, am I better to make myself vomit or to ride it out? Thanks for you input  (PS Yes, I have stepped back to pureed stage foods)

Jennifer

Initial referral: March 21, 2013; Orientation: April 26, 2013 (OWMC); Nurse Practitioner: July 10, 2013; Nut/Beh: July 15, 2013; Pre-op Class: September 18, 2013; Internist: September 18, 2013; Surgeon: October 1, 2013; Surgery: November 25, 2013 (Dr. Yelle)

G_mama_d
on 12/6/13 8:19 am - North Bay, Canada

I sympathize with you i am pre op, day 3 of opti and am so nauseous today all i want to do is hurl.  Thankfully only two weeks of this.  Hope you feel better.

RNY - Dec 18/2013

HW- 333 lbs. Approved for Surgery- 285.4 SW- 272.  GW-160-180

meowtab
on 12/6/13 9:00 am - Eden mills, Canada

I am betting it was the eggs. Unless they are REALLY runny  or soft (poached or have added milk or something to the scrambled) I can't eat them. I had the same issue this week. I rode it out and will not make that mistake again. Lots of water eventually helped wa**** away. I hope you feel better soon.

Laurie C.
on 12/6/13 9:10 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

I am 18 months out and I cannot vomit.  If something is stuck I can kind of fur ball it up but that's it.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

HFA70
on 12/6/13 9:12 am
Both eggs and ground beef made me vomit weeks 4-5. I vomited daily on something or another so it is possible, but I've spoken to some that are not able to even if they try. Poached eggs are fine as is egg salad . Take it easy and keep a log. Good luck!

Nerak
on 12/6/13 11:45 am - Canada

I am at week 7 and vomiting is fairly common for me. I can't seem to tolerate ground beef at all. Fish and mussels I can do. I am better at eating beans than eating meat of any kind. I can't eat too much of anything really. I find when I really want to vomit and I can't bring it up I just need to drink a little and it comes up. It's a relief. Other things will go down sometimes and then the next day they don't sit well. You sound good though overall!

Nerak

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/13 11:55 am

i'm sure you are following your hospital's bariatric program,  but being only 11 days out i am a bit surprised you are trying scrambelled eggs and chili.  I haven't been able to mess with those two until now (4 weeks out).    maybe you want to double check your program so that you know you are eating the right items?  also, maybe things are different for rny vs sleeve, even though i don't really think so when it comes to foods.

also, be wary of take-out food.  you really don't have a clue what they put in it -- so when you get a bad reaction it is hard to narrow down what may have caused it.

other than a wonton soup from my trusted local chinese restaurant, i haven't eaten out at all out of fright that something odd may trigger a bad reaction.  As time consuming as it is, i am really trying to cook everythign from scratch (even soups!!).  i was just at my 1 month fu and they actually suggested the same thing -- as much as possible.

if i don't get a chance to make something nice from scratch, then i tend to just follow my liquid diet of soy milk, greek yoghurt, and cottage cheese, and (ofco) added protein powder or shake.  it is bland and favourless, but at least  i know i will be 'safe' until i get a chance to cook up something really nice and 'natural'.

all the best -- and you will figure out what works for you.  what works for me may not work for you, and vice versa.

Katie M.
on 12/6/13 1:28 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Oh, sorry you felt sick! I agree it was probably the eggs. And some days things sit well, other days the exact same thing can be torture. I've had two food issues - the first was stuck chicken that would not come up no matter what I tried. Finally a bit of foam came up - hair ball like as someone else said, lol. The second time was last week, chicken again but I ate it too fast and it wasn't sitting well. I tried to take a quick dissolve gravol with a bit of water, and up it all came. That time I vomited and gagged, and it was awful. I then had heartburn for hours. I'd say if you can ride it out, try to ride it out. Throwing up might make you feel immediately better, but it might not. It really depends on the person and what exactly is going on in your stomach. 

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

birdiegirl
on 12/6/13 8:21 pm

Wow.....you must be going thru Guelph...lol....otherwise you would be on liquids or pureed right now.......

OK......nausea and vomiting are horrible.....so back yourself up a bit and eat very soft moist food only.......your pouch is trying to heal....and you likely had something stuck in your stoma.....terrible feeling

Try some of the following

- re-fried beans- I ate these for one week straight with some cheese melted on top and it saved me during the puree stage

-cottage cheese that has been mashed

-plain fat free greek yogurt with some s/f syrup if you like

-soft fish...ma**** a bit first and DON'T overcook it

-chicken and gravy in the blender

PROTEIN SHAKES...yeah I know what Guelph says......supplement with them.....plus they are fluids so they help your hydration

Think soft soft soft.....soups are great....cream of anything.....take the large chunks out

Its tough at first....try not to get discouraged.......just don't experiment at this point....find a food you can tolerate and stick to it....get your water in....and try to keep calm and rested

All the best

kayakgirl
on 12/6/13 11:24 pm - Canada

Thanks, everyone. And, yes, I am back to purees. I find that I am craving meat. That and everyone's high praise led me to Wendy's chili.  Also eggs are on my pureed list (if I'm not mistaken)  I do get at least 60 g of protein in a day.  Today will be pureed soups and greek yogurt with cream of wheat!! Also today I will write it all down. (And that's a promise made public!!!!)

Initial referral: March 21, 2013; Orientation: April 26, 2013 (OWMC); Nurse Practitioner: July 10, 2013; Nut/Beh: July 15, 2013; Pre-op Class: September 18, 2013; Internist: September 18, 2013; Surgeon: October 1, 2013; Surgery: November 25, 2013 (Dr. Yelle)

Most Active
Recent Topics