Sleep Apnea

Derek C.
on 11/21/13 1:25 am - North Bay , Canada

This is what they are telling people at the Sudbury Evaluation Clinic - the info comes from the pool of Surgeons in Toronto 

Sudbury bariatric clinic called to inform us (North Bay Sleep Clinic) that many of the new surgeons that are helping out in Toronto  will refuse to perform surgery unless the patient is on cpap treatment (whether mild, moderate or severe).

Now this is third hand info and take it as you will but there is talk of it 

Derek 

Surgery Date - AUGUST 22, 2011 - Ran first 5KM Race - Oct 14, 2012 (28 min)  - Currently maintaining a healthy 190 lbs and training for my first half marathon in the summer of 2013

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/13 1:30 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I don't think this is anything new is it?  The rule for any surgery has always been if you have sleep apnea and require a CPAP then you have to be using it and bring it with you to get any surgery.  I'm not sure if they mean if you don't require a machine because it's so mild that they are still going to insist on it, if that is the case then I think they will have a lot of complaints on their hands as I am sure the sleep docs can only force people to get a machine if it falls under certain rules. I can't see ADP paying for machines for those that don't need them.  Not sure how many episodes of apnea or how low the O2 can go before a machine is required but can't see the government paying for something that isn't a necessity.

Nathalie_Can
on 11/21/13 1:31 am, edited 11/21/13 1:31 am

That's not new - If there would be a level before mild, that would "have" been me  lol  and I was told that if I didn't have it with me the morning of surgery (2011) that I would be sent home.

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

mispysmom
on 11/21/13 3:46 am - elliot lake, Canada
I was told tht too, however even tho i.brought mine with me, the staff never used the machine.for me..weird

Amanda

Nelson P.
on 11/21/13 2:58 am - Canada
RNY on 08/28/13

I had my surgery pushed back at TWH until I could give them proof that I was using my CPAP machine on a nightly basis. Took me about 2 months to get used to it and gather the info they needed. In the end I was glad that they insisted on this.....it was for my own good.

Referral-03/19/12>>> Orientation_05/16/12>>>Social Worker-07/30/12>>>Nurse-07/30/12>>>Nutrition-08/13/12>>>Psych-09/25/12>>>NUT-10/31/12 Dr.Hawa(sleep)-01/22/13>>>Psych(again)-05/16/13>>>Meet the Surgeon-06/07/13(Dr.Aarts)>>>>Surgery Date - 08/28/13

Sunny123
on 11/21/13 5:21 am
RNY on 12/05/13

I was told they need 6 weeks of sleep data before you can move on in the process - I had to meet the sleep doctor.  Also, when I went to my daughter's orientation the NP said that sleep tests will become mandatory for everyone ~ this wasn't the case when I had my orientation...obviously sleep apnea is a serious matter and policies and procedures are being updated accordingly.

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/13 5:52 am - Straford, Canada

It is rumoured that some new surgical studies among the gas passers show that even mild sleep apnea that is untreated is much more likely to have problems in surgery and recovery.  Until you're out of recovery you are in the hands of the anesthesiologist and its his job to make sure you go to sleep breathing and wake up breathing.  Its likely to become more important in the future regardless of the centre.  

Most Active
Recent Topics