five years (warning: very long post)

nata
on 10/31/13 11:33 am - Ottawa, Canada
Hi there, it's Nata with my fifth surgiversary update. Sorry, I've been missing in action  - gotten a new job and been crazy busy juggling job, grad school, family and sports... Well, it's been five year of an AWESOME DS experience. A little info update for those who don't know me. I had my surgery in 2008 in  Michigan, before the Ontario program kicked in. Preop I had BMI of 62, diabetes with 500 to 700 units of insulin injected daily, Severe sleep apnea (98 events/minute), extremely fatty liver and PCOS - the whole super-morbid obesity package. After having my surgery I was off insulin within a few days, diabetes free within 19 days, lost over 200 pounds (though bounce 10-15 pounds up and down, but still hit my lowest point of 144 pounds once a year for a day, lol). Lost apnea, PCOS and got totally normal liver (Ultrasound confirmed). Every friggin thing that was killing me and not so slowly... is GONE!!! Five years later they are still gone. Yesterday I had my fifth surgiversary and while my hubby was picking me up after a speed skating class I said "I don't think without this surgery I would be speed skating today" And his answer was somewhat creepy, but truthful: "Without this surgery you wouldn't be. Period. just wouldn't be here today". Talking about challenges of these five years. Contrary to popular believe, being a DSer, I do watch what I eat. I try to avoid grains, white potatoes and breads. Pasta, pizza and sandwiches are out of the question. Instead I eat sweet potatoes, tones of broccoli and spinach, controlled amount of German rye bread on a good day. Occasionally going wild with egg bread (can't control myself, lol), then beat myself up and go very strict for a while. With high fat diet it's not very difficult to substitute unhealthy choices with "DS friendly" food. I don't eat pies, but I scoop whipped cream off the cake. satisfies my cravings completely and doesn't make me gain. I don't eat big mac as is, but eat out the meet, cheese and mayo, tossing out a bun... etc. I became very picky eater and it's fine with me. Also, contrary to popular believe, I don't have "typical for DS" windy-BMish issues. AT ALL. totally normal, though I always carry a little air freshener can in my purse, in case I need to use public washroom - it just makes me feel better. I'm paranoid and weigh myself at least twice a day. Once I get close to 160 I become hysterical and go almost anorexic - might stop eating for a few days. During these five years I tried liquid weeks (shakes, something like you guys do on opti), tried "extreme fat and no carb" weeks - also drops pounds for me, but once I'm down to 150, I become more relaxed and ... mini yo-yo. Can't do it any other way - I'm not that well organized and strong person to go "right" every day, journaling just kills me, I fail to write my stuff on the second day... So to be honest I would be a great failure with any other surgery, the only thing that really saves my butt is malabsorption. Well, we all have our demons, aren't we, and try to fight them the best we can. One thing is for sure - I never been more active, energetic, happy and healthy preop as I'm during these five years. If I had to do this surgery again, I wouldn't think a second, would even self-pay. It's the best thing that happened to me since my daughter’s birth. Good luck everyone, sorry for the longest post in this board history and for being absent recently.
Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
4-Jane
on 10/31/13 12:58 pm - Canada

Happy Surgiversary I am only new to the bench but have read many of your past posts.  

Respectfully Jane
Nathalie_Can
on 10/31/13 1:33 pm

Hi Nata...so glad to read your post..you seem very happy in general, not just about your 5th healthy year.

nathalie

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

Patm
on 10/31/13 1:40 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Congratulations on your five years of success. Life certainly seems to be better. As i go through my own journey it is noce to hear from people who are making this work

Member Services
on 10/31/13 1:46 pm - Irvine, CA

Congratulations on all our success!  Thank you for sharing your story!angry

JJ_
on 10/31/13 6:43 pm

Wooohoo!  Congrats on your five years post-op.  Thanks for sharing your journey and success.  Very inspiring.

Judy

birdiegirl
on 10/31/13 7:17 pm

Life is pretty good eh Nata?.....

I do pretty much what you do.....have some splurges.....and then get back on the bandwagon.....its important to keep picking yourself up and going forward....

You sound happy and healthy still....I knew you would!

Big congrats

kellybelly333
on 10/31/13 8:34 pm - Toronto, Canada

Awesome post!! Congrats!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/13 8:50 pm - Straford, Canada

Congrats on your success, both on the weight loss and so many NSVs! angry

Dar_Mab
on 10/31/13 10:40 pm - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

What an awesome story!   So refreshing to hear that 5 years out you are doing well!    Congratulations!  You should be very proud of yourself.   Keep up the great work and keep on enjoying life1

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

Most Active
Recent Topics