Did you ever consider Duodenal Switch (DS)?

Lana00
on 10/30/13 1:12 pm
Hello all,

This is my first post. I met with the surgeon for the first time and he suggested a Duodenal Switch. I am just familiarizing myself with this procedure now. I will be going back for another consult in 3 weeks.

Have any of you considered this surgery? And if so, what was your decision and why?

If you don't mind sharing your thoughts, I would be appreciative.

Thanks!
Patm
on 10/30/13 1:26 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

It was not an option for me. You might also want to post on the Duodenal forum

Lana00
on 10/30/13 9:39 pm
Thank you for the suggestion Pam. I did post a similar question there as well, however if someone decided to not have DS surgery, they would not be on that site.

Cheers
nata
on 10/30/13 9:23 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Not only considered but had it five years ago.

Best thing ever! very few people in Ontario are offered this option. IMHO, you're one of the VERY VERY lucky ones.

Your surgeon had very serious reasons to offer it. Usually it's very high BMI and diabetes.

I had both, both are gone. Just for this reason I would do it again in a heart bit. DS has almost 100% diabetes cure rate (the few percent that don't get cured usually have severe pancreas damage, making their diabetes converting to type 1. Regain is much easier controlled (trust me, after five years I know what I\m talking about) and diet and supplements are reasonable (I get most of my vits from states from Vitalady and they have high dosage package, so it's not 20-30 pills but reasonable 15, spread along the day. No biggie. 

The BM horror stories are mostly fed by "educated" professionals confusing DS with old Scopinaro BPD surgery (they have this decade-two old studies from Italian doc who created original version of switch with very "interesting" results. Other docs (in Quebec and States) developed his idea into a safe and effective surgery without the horrible consequences.

I enjoy the results. You have no idea how much I enjoy it. You know, I'll post my fifth surgiversary post later withmore details.

BTW, I would recommend www.dsfacts.com

It is Bev's site full of truth and only truth.

good luck!

Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
Lana00
on 10/30/13 9:46 pm
Thank you so much for sharing your story!
Monica9811
on 10/30/13 10:46 pm - Peterborough, Canada

Nice to see you Nata!  I was hoping you would reply to this. Can't wait to read your 5 year post!

starlightlu
on 10/31/13 10:29 pm - Canada

Hard for me to judge the other procedures because I am a virgin DS. In my biased opinion, I believe the DS to be the most effective and forgiving of surgeries. I never feel as I'm "dieting" and if i stray, it is SOOOOOO easy to get back on track and continue to lose. In addition, I truly believe the fear factor is overrated; you have to be responsible with vitamin intake just as much as any other surgery. Overall, I HIGHLY reccommend!!!!!

laughstarlight

SW 260 SW 257 CW 139 GW 130  

Lana00
on 10/31/13 11:12 pm

Thank you for sharing your perspective! :)

Most Active
Recent Topics