Can't face anything but jello

Biscuit2868
on 5/8/13 11:38 pm

Hello All - Had my RNY at Toronto East on April 24th and not been able to keep anything down since.  The protein shakes make me very nauseous and was just wondering if anyone else went through this.  I've had a few "challenges" since then - burning and numbness in thighs etc due to some kind of nerve problem (the surgeon told me to take Tylenol Muscle Aches and Pains) and one of the incisions not closing up - but what really concerns me is not getting the protein.  I'm supposed to go on pureed food tomorrow, which means I can have a soft poached egg so am hoping things will be better then.  Would just like to know if anyone else has gone through this... Thanks

Sylvie G.
on 5/8/13 11:55 pm - Monroeville, IN
RNY on 04/16/13

I have not had one protein shake and I'm almost four weeks post op.  not saying that's a good thing but I too cannot drink them. I've tried several brands and they all make me gag. Luckily I have no trouble eating anything so I'm getting protein through meat and eggs. Maybe it's not enough but what else can I do? The unflavoured protein powder is NOT unflavoured and grosses me out too. Good luck 

Referral - 12/21/12, Referral Received - 1/10/13, Orientation - 1/21/13, Met Dr. Hagen - 2/20/13, NUT, RN, SW - 3/13/13, Gastroscopy - 3/13/13, Dr. Glazer - 3/21/13, Pick-up Opti - 3/21/13, PATTS - 3/21/13, Surgery - 4/16/13

Biscuit2868
on 5/9/13 12:17 am

Hi Sylvie - thanks so much for writing back so quickly and sorry that you went through this - but so glad that I'm not the only one......if you know what I mean!I  It's not a lot of fun is it? Will see what happens in the next few days when I try the pureed.  Thanks again!

Catw
on 5/9/13 12:47 am - Arnprior, Canada

If you are wanting to do protein shakes, have you tried fruit based ones or just the milk based ones?  If you haven't tried the fruit based ones, there is the Webber Peach Mango (got it at Shoppers) and there is a brand called 4ever Fit, that has several flavors to it.  I got mine from Popeyes, but might be able to get it somewhere else.

Cathy

Monica M.
on 5/9/13 1:36 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

maybe i'm not the right person to reply, because i've always tolerated everything. If you're going to try a poached egg, how about not having the  yolk, i think that's the part that people find difficult. Just have the white, its pure protein anyway. if you're having difficulty with a variety of things, then find one thing  you can tolerate, and stick to that. Who cares if you're eating egg whites six times a day, as long as you're getting it in.

aprilflowers
on 5/9/13 2:43 am - Canada
RNY on 01/06/12

I could barely get protein shakes down after surgery. They were completely disgusting. Even now when I smell artificial strawberry (I tried strawberry shakes post op) my stomach churns. I went with a vanilla one and blended fruit with it. Only way I could get it down.

Biscuit2868
on 5/10/13 2:17 am

Thank you to all you have written back about my "dilemma".  I am going to try the fruit based drinks and also the poached eggs without the yolk.  Am having problems finding the drinks because I live in a smallish town but I will keep trying! Thanks again - this site is really wonderful!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics