Im Back - Almost 2 years out !! - Kinda long - i needed the vent

Derek C.
on 3/25/13 12:25 pm - North Bay , Canada

Hello everyone - ive been lurking but not posting too often - really too much on my plate to really get into this board and the seasoned vets do such a good job here , my two cents isn't really that important .

Quick update - im kinda bouncing with my weight , been as low as 185 - now at 193 - which in the grand scheme - isn't too bad , im running outdoors now , farthest ive gone is 12.5 km - training to run a half marathon this summer but ill be happy with 10 kms here and there and just the feeling of running drives me to go and go and go

Thats the good stuff , now the bad - my wife - also a WLS patient has had it really tough since last October ( she will be 2 yrs out in oct) as she was diagnosed with an eating disorder and required hospitalization , she currently is at Credit Valley Eating Disorder Clinic in Mississauga in week two of possibly up to 4 months of intensive treatment .  Believe me ive seen first hand what not following the meal plans can do to your mind and your brain and your body .  It was extremely tough to get her into Credit Valley as most ED programs are high calorie, high sugar , high fat based diets , but with the help of the team at Toronto Western we were able to accompli**** .  No other ED clinic in Ontario would take her and believe me i called each and every one of them including some private clinics as well.  Trust me first hand and ED is very very powerful - its amazing what one mind can lead a person to do .

All of this has led me back to very bad eating habits , i can tolerate almost any food now - including sugars and most fats which in a stress induced situation like i have been dealing with is not good .  I see first hand how one can gain the weight back and quickly .  i make no excuses as i am making those choices but wow - when u can tolerate it and it doesn't bother you - you certainly fall into old habits and quickly , luckily i am much more active now with running and playing hockey so it isnt as bad - ohh its still bad but not nearly as bad as eating and couching it .

Anyways like i said - i was lurking - i am missing the banter and perhaps subconsciously i was looking for another form of support and since ive had so much success her in this forum i drifted back to it - thanks for listening .

Surgery Date - AUGUST 22, 2011 - Ran first 5KM Race - Oct 14, 2012 (28 min)  - Currently maintaining a healthy 190 lbs and training for my first half marathon in the summer of 2013

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/13 12:36 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Nice to see you back Derek. I hope your wife can get the help she needs.  Credit Valley has a very good reputation so she has her best shot there. 

Derek C.
on 3/25/13 12:38 pm - North Bay , Canada

Thanks Tracey - see the seasoned vet was the first to respond - made me smile - ty

Surgery Date - AUGUST 22, 2011 - Ran first 5KM Race - Oct 14, 2012 (28 min)  - Currently maintaining a healthy 190 lbs and training for my first half marathon in the summer of 2013

time2changeme
on 3/25/13 12:49 pm

Thanks for sharing your story Derek.  It's great hearing from you and it makes me realize this journey is for life. 

We have been given a tool to help us, but it's up to us how we chose to use it.

Your doing awesome with your running, that's so inspiring and good for you keeping yourself on track! 

Big Hugs for being a wonderful husband by supporting and helping your wife through her difficult time.

Please keep us posted on how things go!  Your both in my thoughts and prayers. 

I'm so glad you drifted back to this forum!

gardeninggal
on 3/25/13 12:54 pm - Midland, Canada

Sounds like you do have your hands full and then some!  I am by no means a 'vet' but I appreciate your honesty and courage and hope that life improves for you and your wife.    

Gorgeous84
on 3/25/13 12:55 pm - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 05/18/12

Thanks for sharing- takes great courage! I'm only 10mos post op and actually remembered you posting often then, your wife too. You guys were a huge inspiration to me! You can definently see the love!

There is a great article from pinkjellybean (a few posts down) about maintenance "please share with me". Maybe it'll help re-energize you.

So glad you reached out, happy to be an ear/shoulder. Hard as it sounds- try to take this time away from her as respite to re-focus yourself. Food is still only fuel. Try batch cooking, portioning and freezing to have reserves for those tough/long day.

Unfortunately, the struggle highlights for folks that this is very much a mental struggle and we all have demons to be dealt with!

Wishing you all the respite, care and attention you BOTH need to get through! Hang in there!

HUGS

There are risks and costs to a program; but they are far less than the long-range risks and costs of comfortable inaction. -JFK

birdiegirl
on 3/25/13 6:12 pm

My cousin was at Credit Valley for anorexia.....and it literaly saved her life....so good your wife is in their program...

Good luck Derek.....please look after yourself too.....there is so much stress on the caregiver ( you).....try not to eat your feelings...

ToNewBeginnings
on 3/25/13 8:46 pm

Hi Derek. It's wonderful of you to have sought help for your wife. Please make sure to take care of yourself too!

Onward and
Downward

on 3/25/13 9:04 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

So nice to see you, Derek - you were very inspiring for me when I was pre-op!  I remember you mentioning this about your wife previously - I'm glad she's getting the help she needs.  And I'm glad that while you're taking care of her, you're also conscious of the need to take care of yourself, by carving out time for running and doing what you need to do for your own body.

Good luck to both you and your wife!

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Patm
on 3/25/13 10:19 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Nice to see you back. I hope all goes well for your wife. as others have said try to take care of yourself as well. You are doing fantastic running!

Most Active
Recent Topics