Sleep Study Referral

Melissa.M
on 3/17/13 4:42 am - Canada

Hey, who gives us the referral for the sleep study (if needed)? The nurse? Our family doc? I see the nurse in a couple of weeks and am wondering if I should go in there with my sleep study appointment in hand or not? I may have sleep apnea (no symptoms but who knows?) so I wasn't sure how the process worked. Does my family doc have to do anything at this point or do I leave it all up to the OWMC from here on out?

Thanks in advance!

Referral:Nov 14, 2012~~Orientation:Dec 14~~Nurse:Mar 26~~Abd Ultrsound:Apr 18~~Beh/Nut:May 9, 2013~~Surgery:Dec 12, 2013.

aidan
on 3/17/13 5:02 am - Canada
Hey! So it would be the nurse who decides this at OWMC but that being said.....it would not hurt to be proactive with this aspect. They wanted me to get a sleep study but since I had one done in 2011 while pregnant they were satisfied with that even though it was old and not ordered by them. Good luck!!

Grammaof3
on 3/17/13 5:16 am - Canada

After referral my family Dr ordered one...said it might take awhile so just to be safe he went ahead. Had mine in Nov and just got results a few weeks ago...just been on machine for less than 3 weeks. I had severe sleep apnea but had no idea...wasn't tired, felt fine so who knows!

(deactivated member)
on 3/17/13 5:29 am - Straford, Canada

If you can see your GP before the NP appointment they can order it or you can wait for NP and they will likely order it.  Sleep Apnea is often asymptomatic.  

After the NP ordered mine, I took the name and number of the doctor at the sleep clinic and called them the next day, his secretary put me on a waiting list for canceled appointments (of which they have lots), she called me the next day for that night.  I finished that part months sooner than planned and used that to speed up the bariatric appointments.  Can't say you'll be able to do the same but it was SO worth my small amount of effort!  

johjen
on 3/17/13 5:38 am
johjen
on 3/17/13 5:43 am

Sorry was trying to type that on my phone... pain in my A$$... okay

If you snore, others notice your snoring, you wake up tired, you wake up in the night, etc.. then you may have sleep apnea and the NP may order a sleep study.  If you dont have those symptoms she will measure your neck.. If you neck is less than 16 inches then you should be okay... If you neck is 16 inches or more she will order a sleep study.

So if you would like and you answered any of these questions yes.. or your neck is more than 16 inches you may want to get your GP to order a sleep study before you see your NP... that is if you can see your GP before... otherwise there is no need really...

Good luck!  I hope you don't have it!

Melissa.M
on 3/17/13 7:33 am - Canada

Thanks, guys. I have an appt on Wed with my doc, so maybe she'll give me some referrals then.

Referral:Nov 14, 2012~~Orientation:Dec 14~~Nurse:Mar 26~~Abd Ultrsound:Apr 18~~Beh/Nut:May 9, 2013~~Surgery:Dec 12, 2013.

KAT_P
on 3/17/13 10:45 am - Canada
RNY on 06/05/13

I agree with everyone else who already commented.   I wasn't sure if I had sleep apnea or not but I thought I should get it checked in case the nurse told me a test was required.

My family doctor referred me  for a sleep study shortly after she sent in my referral.   Then I called the sleep study centre at the General campus and asked if they had cancelations.  They seem to often have cancelations on Friday evenings   What takes a long time though is the waiting period after your sleep study appointment to get a follow-up consultation with a sleep study doctor.  I received the initial report after the study but the sleep doctor has to meet with you and give you a final report.  So the sooner you can get the sleep study done the better would be my suggestion.

Ottawa Referral:June 1, 2012 ~ Information Session:July 6, 2012~ Sleep Study: July 6, 2012  Nurse:December 12, 2012~ Social Worker and Dietician:February 5, 2013 ~ Ultrasound: March 15, 2013Nutrition class: March 27, 2013 ~ Surgeon Consult: April 4, 2013 (Dr. Mamazza) ~ Surgery: June 5, 2013 (Dr. Mamazza) ~ Plastic Surgery: March 10, 2015 (Fleur-de-Lis Tummy Tuck)

Most Active
Recent Topics