Signs/ symptoms of strictures?

Chanelle1022
on 1/22/13 9:23 pm
Hey all between yesterday and now this morning, everytime i have eaten i feel sick. Tummy is gurgling, i feel nauseaus but have not thrown up (yet). Loooord help me.

Wonder whats goin on? Nothing new added to the diet.. Have been eating slowly -20-30 mins to get through a meal drinking all water .. Wondering if i should start to worry about a stricture?

referral: October 18,2011 orientation: January 6,2012 np: July 11,2012
abdominal u/s: August 8,2012 psych: August 16,2012 nut/behav: August 27,2012
endoscopy: September 28,2012 follow up with dietician:October 1st,2012 surgery class:9 am, October 31,2012 meet the surgeon:November 13th,2012 Optifast start: Dec 3rd, 2012SURGERY by Dr. Yelle : December 24! 

birdiegirl
on 1/22/13 9:35 pm

Hi Chanelle

A sever stricture will prevent anything from going down......but you are smart to wonder about this....keep watching

My tummy still gurgles after almost 4 years......our new plumbing is at work

Could be just an adjustment - but you are wise to keep an eye on things....

Some days you can eat one food - try the same food the next day and a different result

If you are worried - I would call your centre

The first few months are a real learning experience....

Hang in there

Gabygee
on 1/22/13 9:41 pm - Canada

I am not a medical professional, so you should not take my word as formal advice, but here are my 2 cents' worth: A stricture means that the esophagus or the stoma get narrowed to the point where nothing goes through anymore. It's not uncommon among us WLS'ers.

However, it doesn't sound that that's what you've got - if you did, you wouldn't so much vomit, as nothing would go through - it simply backs up, and you regurgitate it. Not even water goes through. Not pleasant by any means, but not "ralphing-up-your-toenails-hurling"

Nausea and gurgling sounds like something else - possibly a bug. If your flora and fauna (ie the ever-present bacteria in your system) change, there will be greater gas production, and that can cause gurgling and nausea. If you've got Norovirus, which is going around right now in Ontario, you'll have three days of unpleasant vomiting and possibly diarrhea, but then it'll be over. By the time you would get to a doctor, you would have shed the virus, and it would be over.

Karen M.
on 1/22/13 10:11 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I had a stricture. Nausea has nothing to do with it.  Food and even water will not go down and comes right back up.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Chanelle1022
on 1/22/13 10:58 pm

Ok! Thank you ladies! I am going to use unsweetened almond milk in protein shakes to see if that works.. might be sugar in the skim milk.. 11g! WOAH! .. we will see how lunch and snacks go down today :)

One day at a time right ?:D

referral: October 18,2011 orientation: January 6,2012 np: July 11,2012
abdominal u/s: August 8,2012 psych: August 16,2012 nut/behav: August 27,2012
endoscopy: September 28,2012 follow up with dietician:October 1st,2012 surgery class:9 am, October 31,2012 meet the surgeon:November 13th,2012 Optifast start: Dec 3rd, 2012SURGERY by Dr. Yelle : December 24! 

Karen M.
on 1/22/13 11:02 pm - Mississauga, Canada

If you're feeling really nauseous take a Gravol before you eat.  I did that for a couple of weeks early post-op.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/13 8:29 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 04/04/13
On January 23, 2013 at 6:58 AM Pacific Time, Chanelle1022 wrote:

Ok! Thank you ladies! I am going to use unsweetened almond milk in protein shakes to see if that works.. might be sugar in the skim milk.. 11g! WOAH! .. we will see how lunch and snacks go down today :)

One day at a time right ?:D

Chanelle....

Just a point that the nutritionist at TWH told me last week....

As, I am currently lactose intolerant, I stated to her I would just use Almond Milk which i do like.....she told me to shy away from it as it does not have the protein that is needed and can be high in fats, etc...

She said use unflavored Soy milk for the best benefits...and extra protein.

Just a thought i thought i would share with ya :)  Plus the boost in protein may help the healing speed up.

Hope you start to feel better!

~Hugs~

40sMomma
on 1/24/13 7:38 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 08/22/12

lactose free milk works too

40sMomma
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Referral from GP- July/11 Orientation at TWH-Nov 24/11 Nurse appt-Jan 18/12
SW-Jan 18/12 Nutrition Class -Feb1/12 Diet - Feb2/12 Psych - Feb7/12
Surgeon Mtg- June 29/12 PreOp - Aug 4/12 Surgery-Aug 22/12

Riley Sanders
on 1/23/13 3:52 pm - Canada

I had the exact same thing Chanelle only mine came with hot and cold flashes with the nausea.. I found mine seemed to be some sort of lactose intolerance.. cut out my milk and protein shakes and have been better for the most part since.

Most Active
Recent Topics