I have an appointment to meet a plastic Surgeon!!!

jhpby
on 1/17/13 11:10 pm - Oshawa, Canada

SOOOOOO EXCITED! I am meeting with a plastic surgeon on Feb 28 to look into getting my stomach, arms, and thighs done! As some of you know I now live in Moncton and medicare here gives similar coverage to OHIP...even though it is only a consult I am still a bit scared....originally I didn't plan on doing any surgeries until after kids but we are having some difficulty getting pregnant...and I was thinking...We have no one out here to help look after babies while I am recovering...there is no way my husband could take that time off work so maybe now is the better time and put kids on hold for another year (I'm only 27). I am now 17 months post op... I have lost 135lbs...I probably wouldn't go through with the surgery until May or June...I want that little bit of extra time to go hardcore with the gym and get any extra weight off that I can

Can people chime in who have gone through plastics....is doing all 3 areas at 1 time to much? Did you have kids after plastics? Do you regret getting the plastics? What are the important questions I should be asking the surgeon? how much did your additional areas cost? Am I to early out from surgery to be getting plastics?

Any input would be great!

Jenn

HW- 343     CW- 266.4  SW- 314                                        My  is suberman!       

merly6800
on 1/18/13 12:32 am - Canada

I personally would not have kids after having a tummy tuck.  I paid to have this work done. 

I've heard that when you have a tummy tuck, and gain weight again the fat returns everywhere else but the tummy.

healthhereicome
on 1/18/13 12:32 am - Canada

is it covered  for us to have surgury

Karen M.
on 1/18/13 1:36 am - Mississauga, Canada

Plastic surgery? No. You can qualify with OHIP for a panniculectomy and a breast reduction if warranted.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Cuter_w_Curves
on 1/18/13 1:44 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

I actually posted the information on OH about coverage, and how to find it from the government sites previously... It's been a while since I posted it so this is as good a thread as any to post it up for newbies to see.

Here is a copy of that post... please understand it is often debated (or was until people just started copying and pasting this info I put together):

Let me help those who don't know how to find this:

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/providers/program/ohip/sob/physserv/s_digest.pdf

Try page 31.

Panniculectomy
# S318 Panniculectomy, including any necessary diastasis repair........ 6 500.00 6
# E748 - with repair of umbilical hernia, to S318 ......................add 122.05
# E809 - excision of pannus that extends beyond the mid thigh, to S318.......................................................................add 250.00
Note:
1. Panniculectomy is only insured in those cir****tances described in Appendix D of this
Schedule. Prior authorization of payment from the MOHLTC is required.
2. S318 is not eligible for payment when performed in conjunction with abdominal or pelvic
procedures unless the payment requirements for panniculectomy are separately fulfilled.
[Commentary:
1. In cir****tances where the proposed panniculectomy surgery may include excision of a
pannus that extends below the mid thigh, the requesting physician must provide sufficient
information with the request for prior authorization of payment.
2. Abdominoplasty is not an insured service.]

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/providers/program/ohip/sob/physserv/append.pdf

Try page 7.

16. Excision of excess fatty tissue and/or skin
a. Panniculectomy is only insured in the following cir****tances and when prior
authorization of payment is obtained from the MOHLTC:
i. where there is significant associated symptomatology related to the pannus;
ii. where the pannus extends to a level below the pubis symphysis; and
iii. where the patient’s weight has been stable for a minimum of 6 months when
panniculectomy is requested in relation to weight loss.
b. Excision of excess fatty tissue and/or skin other than for panniculectomy is not an
insured service.
[Commentary:
Examples of significant clinical symptomatology include significant pain, chronic skin
breakdown, and recurrent cellulitis and/or ulcers.]

Now... I will break it down for those who are still not sure:

You MUST meet specific criteria for coverage so any and all are being told it is NOT covered for the most part because typically it is not covered. It was much more readily covered in the past, and is increasingly complicated to get and retain approval. If you get approval... GET IT DONE ASAP.

It is more kind for them to tell us to save up now and have partial coverage with a conversion/upgrade then it is for us to be told it will be done, and then 2 years out be told we do not "quallify".

They need us to be willing to "live" with the reality of the surgery. Not to mention... What is covered now (dating to the April 1st, 2012 ammendment) will not be the same in all cases in 2 years... or 4 years... or...

To date (October 21st, 2012) no bulletin has been posted changing the above criteria or service on the bulletin site: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/providers/program/ohip/bulletins/4000/bulletin_4000_mn.html

*Going back to reading the board now... Hope this solves the great debate for a while and feel free to copy, paste, and forward as required. Take credit for the information if you want... I do NOT mind at all.*

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

mermaidz
on 1/18/13 12:47 am - Brampton, Canada

Tummy tucks are not covered by OHIP

Panni's are.

Big difference

I personally would NOT have any abdo work done until after you're done having your babies.

Why? IMagine having a nice smooth stomach and watching it S_T_R_E_T_C_H out as your growing baby develops lol

Bad idea.. berry berry bad

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Cuter_w_Curves
on 1/18/13 1:48 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

I would NOT pay for a Tummy Tuck and follow it up with having children. It is hard enough for a surgeon to do the work the first time. It would be complex to do the work a second time and it would be needed...

I would so a consult on the arms.

I would not do my breasts prior to children either if I was intending to breast feed. Both reductions and augmentations can and do result in lower functionality unless the surgeon uses a specialized technique to move the nipple while leaving the ductal connections intact.

I don't understand how you can say you are having trouble getting pregnant at 17 months out. I know most who I have spoken to are told to wait 2 years post-op to become pregnant. Have you had them send you to an endocrinologist to check your hormone levels, etc? An OBGYN to do a through check there? Sorry if this is too personal to ask but it is a major decision either way.

Shell

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

ShallowGirl
on 1/18/13 2:11 am, edited 1/18/13 2:11 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

I'm very excited to hear what your surgeon has to say!

That said, don't get the surgery until AFTER the kids.  You have built in stretch now, after surgery you will wreck your tummy if you have a baby, and then pay AGAIN !!! not worth it.

If you have the money now stick it in the bank and use it for the tummy tuck (and maybe boob lift) after the babies have finished tromping all over your body.  And/or, you may want a fertility workup !

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/13 2:22 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I wouldn't do stomach before having children.  In Ontario, they usually only allow 2 procedures at once but the rules may be different in other provinces.  I have a friend that had her TT done before pregnancy and she got lucky that her stomach held up but she did say she wished she would have waited as it's nowhere near as tight and flat as it was pre-pregnancy.

Not sure if your province covers anything on the arms or legs as they don't in Ontario so the cost is completely self pay here and it's usually around $6-8K per area. Usually they suggest that you are at a stable weight for a year before getting plastics so you may want to take that into consideration as well.  Even once you are stable, you body seems to shift for the first year and your body might still change a bit.  No regrets on plastics for me.

PatXYZ
on 1/18/13 3:38 am

Very exciting!

I am meeting with a PS in February for a consult myself (nose, boobs, TT, thighs). From what I understand, TT and thighs are rarely done at the same time, but arms and boobs or boobs and TT can be pretty easily combined. I have to agree though with what others here are saying re: kids. I would think it would be a huge waste of money to have a TT and then get pregnant and wreck it.

Congrats on your success!

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Most Active
Recent Topics