Maintenance Mindset

ShallowGirl
on 1/9/13 6:59 am, edited 1/9/13 12:49 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

So I hit my goal with a bump after a few days on hospital food, and I kind of can't believe it.  I've weighted myself 4 times this week on different scales, all within 0.3 lbs of each other (!!!)   

I still can't tolerate wheat or meat.  I still have diet challenges like getting in protein, iron, calcium, vitamin A (a new one!).  I was also low potassium (2.8) when in hospital, so I have allowed myself watered down orange juice.

I can tolerate sugar but I taste the difference between different types of sweeteners and I don't like it as much, and I don't WANT to eat it, although it does serve a purpose when necessary. 

My goal was set for 92 lbs lost, based on when I remember a "good" adult weight for me.  I like the weight too, happy with the choice.  (of course, I still remember that just another 8 lbs and I make the century club).

I like being skinny but eating has lost joy for me, it is more like a game of chicken, can I get this down or will I suffer for an hour afterward?  Based on the troubles I still have eating halfway normal, I think I may continue to lose for a bit. 

I shopped today for the new me - prunes - finally - totally forgetting I now have the opposite problem, gluten free waffles (an indulgence), soy milk, lite hot chocolate, skim milk powder, mashed sweet potatoes (vit A), oat cakes (gluten free), brie - I like it, low fat granola.

I was thinking today - what do I do now?  At the time it all seems to take forever and be endless with the appointments, but now it seems like the blink of an eye.   I achieved goal at just under 7 months post surgery.  92 lbs lost in one calendar year.  I was referred in February 2012.

I don't like my crinkly stomach - I took a picture, will post when my nephew emails it back to me.  The receptionist at my family doctor said it won't take long to get in shape now that I'm skinnier, so I may try tone & stretch classes.  I don't like pain.

I decided to make my next goal to hit 2014 within 3 lbs of this weight (under 130).  

New Year New Challenge!

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

(deactivated member)
on 1/9/13 9:18 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 04/04/13

Good Job! and im sure you will achieve your goals!!!  Keep up the great job!

slrm2m2
on 1/9/13 12:50 pm - Canada

Welcome to maintenance and congrats on reaching your goal. Its exhilarating to look back and realize that you reached your goal in such a short time...but its also when it starts to sink in that these changes are for life and  the question, "what heck do I do with myself now that I"m at goal?" rears its head.

I've found it challenging.  In an odd way, its been a little bit depressing. While I am grateful for the improvements in health and energy, reduction in arthritis pain....it has also brought me in touch with a lot of parts of myself that are unfilled, still searching and feeling a little lost.  My weight is never an excuse anymore for anything...so I have to be more honest with myself about what is holding me back in some areas.

Let us know how maintenance feels for you as it progresses. I'm sure that its a slightly different process for everyone.  

Again, congrats on reaching your goal!

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

ShallowGirl
on 1/9/13 2:55 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

I can see that, about turning one's attention to the rest of one's life that needs work.  I now have to look for more challenging (ie better paid, more regular) job for example.  And a new apartment as my landlady gave me notice for March 1st.  I feel fortunate that my stomach has volume control now, I hope that lasts.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Onward and
Downward

on 1/9/13 7:39 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Congratulations!  Goal in 7 months - incredible. :)

Looking forward to hearing more from you about life once you reach goal, and how you cope after that. 

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Patm
on 1/9/13 10:48 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Congrats. I too worry about the re-gain. It appears to be a common concern with people. I guess we just have to be vigilant and work the tool we have been given

Most Active
Recent Topics