18 Month Follow-up - Check

Catw
on 1/8/13 10:33 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Yesterday I went for my 18 month check up with Dr. Dent.  Usually my appointments were with Aspen, but at the last one, I wanted to see what my healthy weight range was, so I was booked with Dr. Dent.   What a day, I left work early because I still needed to do my blood work and didn't know how long it took.  It took me longer to get a parking spot (for those who know Lot 4 at the Civic, you know you don't find out the lot's full until you get in line and can't get out) than it did to get the blood work.  Then the appointments were running late, I was early, and didn't get in to see him until 4:30 for a 3:45 appointment.  Little stressful as I had to go home and get my son ready for a hockey game.  I had 15 minutes to get my goalie dressed.  (I did it though).  That's enough of my hassles, now for the good stuff.

A little NSV, because I've lost so much weight, Dr. Dent didn't recognize me, even though I saw him a half dozen times before. According to my paperwork, my highest weight (as far as I know) was 353 lbs.  I weighed in yesterday at 214 lbs.  I have lost almost 140 lbs because of Weight Loss Surgery (I love my RNY ).  The high end of the body fat percent is 33, I'm at 36.  So I'm at a good spot, despite what all those silly BMI charts say.

I'll admit that over the Christmas season I treated myself a little too much, and haven't been to the gym in a couple months.  But I've started to curb my "treating" again, and next week I hit the gym (Work won't let me this week).  I may never get to "onederland", maybe I'm not supposed to, but that doesn't mean I won't stop trying.  I still have some outfits that I was given that I would really like to be able to fit into.

For those who are just starting on the journey, yes it's a hurry up and wait process, but the wait is totally worth it.  Saying that, it doesn't hurt to try to get cancelation spots to speed it up a bit.  Keep on this site, you'll find great support and great information.

For those who question your decision, yes you are having surgery.  With all surgeries there are risks.  If you are not sure you are doing the right thing, take a look at what not doing this will mean as well as what doing this will mean.  If you are still not sure, maybe you need to wait until you are sure.  A lot of the secret to everyone's success is attitude.  You can face anything with the right attitude.

For those who are just starting Opti, don't sweat it, it's survivable if not likeable.  Check out the recipe forum that Karen has started for ideas to change the flavors if needed.  Remember, each stage makes the next stage that more exciting.  It's weird but you'll understand.  My only regret is not being on this site sooner, as I missed a lot of support that I could have used.  If you don't lose weight while on Opti, don't worry about it, not everyone does.  The weight will come off, trust me.

For those of you who are nearing the end of Opti, your new life will soon begin.  This will be an exciting adventure with a lot of ups and downs.  Just remember to have patience with yourself.  You are basically x years old giving yourself the stomach of a baby.  Just like with a baby, you both have to learn what/how much and when you can tolerate things.  Like a baby, it will tell you when it doesn't like something, and you might not like how it says it, but it's the only way it can tell you.

For those who are recently out of surgery, congratulations on your new life.  Take it one step at a time.  Sip Sip Sip, and walk walk walk. Passing gas is a good thing.  As Shrek says, better out than in.  Yes you might be tired a lot for a bit, but your energy will come back. You just had major surgery, your body needs time and rest to heal.  If you have questions, ask.  If something is not right, call the clinic, that's what they are there for.

For the rest of us, keeping coming here to get support and be generous and give support as you can.

I hope everyone is enjoying their journey, may 2013 be a great year for all of us!

Cathy

Patm
on 1/8/13 11:13 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Thanks for the post. Congrats on doing so well. Just so you feel a little better. At TWH you do not see the doctor you see a nurse practitioner. If you actually book for the surgeon you may wait up to 1.5 hours before he even decides to show up. So Ottawa sounds like a piece of cake LOL

kellybelly333
on 1/8/13 11:19 pm - Toronto, Canada

I was going to say the same thing Pat. I have had an appointment at TWH for just the surgeon and I waited three hours. I would LOVE a 45 minute wait!

Congrats Cathy on your success!! Getting back on track will help you for sure!!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Catw
on 1/8/13 11:33 pm - Arnprior, Canada

This normally wouldn't have bothered me, I was expecting to be late.  Just hoped to be early so I wouldn't be rushed to my son's hockey game.  He prefers me getting him dressed to his father. ;o)

Thanks for the congrats,  Actually looking forward to going back the gym.  It will make carrying my kids to bed easier.

kellybelly333
on 1/9/13 12:22 am - Toronto, Canada

Get those muscles working!! LOL. I'm glad my son wakes easily now to go from the car to bed, if he's fallen asleep. He's only 43 pounds, but is getting too long for me!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Karen M.
on 1/8/13 11:33 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Wonderful post, Cathy.  HUGE congratulations to you on all of your successes!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Catw
on 1/8/13 11:35 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Thanks Karen.  Don't know if I would have done this well if I had done it alone.  Love this site and everyone on it.

niceeyes72
on 1/8/13 11:57 pm - Cornwall, Canada
RNY on 03/23/12

Sorry to have missed you there yesterday but I was well on my way outta there by 10am!! I was glad to see that Matt is still there...I heard a rumor he left or was let go or something like that....

Congrats on the changes you've seen!!! Sounds like some big changes have occurred for you!!!

I am back at the Clinic March 21 in the afternoon.... Hope to finally meet someone from OH!!!!

Tam
Highest Weight: 365lbs
Clinic Weight: 325lbs
Clinic goal:190 lbs
Current Weight: 176.4lbs
My goal:165lbs
Surgery: Dr. Yelle Ottawa on March 23, 2012

ShallowGirl
on 1/9/13 2:47 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

Congratulations!

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

jewel-twin
on 1/9/13 5:55 am - Canada
Love this.... Thank you for sharing! You have done so well and what aN inspiration.

Family Dr. 06/05/2012    Referral Received 06/28/2012 Orientation 08/01/2012   NP 08/27/2012
SW 08/28/2012              Nut Class 08/27/2012
NUT 10/01/2012              PS 10/01/2012
Surgeon Dr. Cyriac 12/07/2012  **SURGERY  JAN 30, 2013**

fooh.png

Most Active
Recent Topics