Passing out after bloodwork? OT

jennb3
on 11/19/12 6:44 pm - Canada

SO my 13yo son needed to have some bloodwork done yesterday.  It was the first time since he was 3 and was very nervous.  They only took 2 little tubes.  He said he 'felt funny' so they had him put his head between his knees for a minute he said he was ok and we were sent on our way.

We head over to the grocery store..in the store he's  like mom, I'm really hot and my stomach is sick...so we park, and I have him come out of the car thinking the cool fresh air will help... "mom, I need a hug"...ok,  i knew he was sick if he's asking his mom for a hug in the grocery store parking lot...and down he went...GONE...OUT COLD...I felt his whole body go limp in my arms, his eyes rolled back, completely white as a ghost.  I as gently as I could layed him down, slapped him a little (gently of course) yelled at him...After what felt like forever, but was likely just a minute he woke up stood up......

Anyways, thankfully someone was there to help, called 911 and he ambulanced to the ER.  I of course fell trying to get up from the ground of the parking lot (10 days post op)...it seriously hurt but it's all about my baby right...

Dr. said he's just sensetive to bloodwork etc....and that it's common....

Is it common?  Do some people really just pass out when they get bloodwork done?

He's fine now, but damn it was THE scariest moment of my life...and my first venture out of the house alone without hubby since surgery...

referral: fall 2010, orientation: march 2011, nut/psyc: fall 2011, nurse: jan 2012,   tests: march 2012, pre-surg class: Sept 2012, surgeon, Sept. 2012.  Surgery:  Nov 8, 2012

Feralgirl
on 11/19/12 7:02 pm - Canada
RNY on 06/29/12

Poor guy!! :( I would seriously lay an egg in your situation.

I feel weird sometimes, the fasting + vials = light headed.

RNY Date - June 29th 2012

Gall Bladder out Jan 17 2013

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/12 7:11 pm - Straford, Canada

My wife goes out cold, then wakes and throws up if she sees her own blood, in a needle or cut! I warned this tiny resident in a hospital in Toronto, left the room, and had to run back in to find my small wife laying on top of a very flustered tiny doctor flat on the floor.  I warned her!  Another time she was cracking open lobsters at home for New Years and the knife slipped and cut her finger good... flat on the kitchen floor, her, lobsters, cutting board filled with sea water.  Luckily she didn't hurt herself when she fell.  So yup, it happens.  

msheavyhearted
on 11/19/12 7:37 pm - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12

This is VERY common and though scary, really not a cause for concern. Honestly. I work in a hospital lab and though it isn't really common for a full-on faint, lightheadedness happens to many (including my own son!) It's a vasovagal response - which basically just means his blood vessels dilate and his blood pressure drops.

Contrary to popular belief, the amount of blood or number of tubes removed doesn't really have any bearing on this reaction. Each vial holds anywhere from 2-7 cc of blood (1/2 to 1 1/2 tsp of blood). Comparatively, if you donate a unit of blood, the amount removed is 500 cc (2 cups worth!) So, you can see even if 10 vials of blood is removed you are nowhere near the amount of a blood donation.

Take my advice. Any time in the future that your son needs to have blood drawn or get a vaccination or anything else where needles are involved, inform the professional. Have them lie him down and do the procedure that way. Have him remain lying down for a bit post procedure (5-10 minutes or until he feels better) and I guarantee he won't pass out.

Sorry you were so scared and I hope he feels better. 

Want to join the CRAZY TransCanada Challenge?? Just message me. Here's a link to the rules: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4570778/REPOST-The-CRAZY-TransCanada-Challenge-Rules/

2mar
on 11/19/12 7:44 pm
RNY on 09/20/12

happens more - scary but no big deal  :)  But VERY scary I admit. For some people it is a stress response and for some people they cannot see / deal with the sight of blood.

Hope you are ok too - as you said lifting that early post op is not so good - but .... would do the same if it was my kid..

Bur overall nothing to worry about

:)

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

Monica M.
on 11/19/12 7:56 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

my brother passes out at the sight of blood. He always has, always will (and he's 53 yrs old now). I've heard of this happening before.

jewel-twin
on 11/19/12 8:02 pm - Canada

I used to work as  a phlabotomist.... it is VERY common...now that you know... tell the person taking the blood that he passes out...they will lye him down and give him some time to recover....

Distraction works best so if he is laying down, looking away, and talking to someone about something totally unrelated he will recover way faster.

:)  Its all ok... are YOU ok?

Family Dr. 06/05/2012    Referral Received 06/28/2012 Orientation 08/01/2012   NP 08/27/2012
SW 08/28/2012              Nut Class 08/27/2012
NUT 10/01/2012              PS 10/01/2012
Surgeon Dr. Cyriac 12/07/2012  **SURGERY  JAN 30, 2013**

fooh.png

jennb3
on 11/19/12 8:53 pm - Canada
I'm ok. Once we realized it was just a reaction thing I calmed down. That nasty muscle beside my belly button is pretty damn sore today, but ill live! Just a little extra Tylenol today!
referral: fall 2010, orientation: march 2011, nut/psyc: fall 2011, nurse: jan 2012,   tests: march 2012, pre-surg class: Sept 2012, surgeon, Sept. 2012.  Surgery:  Nov 8, 2012

jewel-twin
on 11/19/12 9:12 pm - Canada

Glad to hear it... take it easy today, rest!  :)

Family Dr. 06/05/2012    Referral Received 06/28/2012 Orientation 08/01/2012   NP 08/27/2012
SW 08/28/2012              Nut Class 08/27/2012
NUT 10/01/2012              PS 10/01/2012
Surgeon Dr. Cyriac 12/07/2012  **SURGERY  JAN 30, 2013**

fooh.png

P_Floyd
on 11/19/12 9:17 pm - Canada

It's always worse when it's your own kids. Glad he's okay. Is there any type of therapy that helps with this sort of thing? 

Long you live and high you fly 
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry 
And all you touch and all you see 
Is all your life will ever be.

DSOTM

Most Active
Recent Topics