18 months post op: before and after photo (LONG POST SORRY)

Smiley_sandy
on 11/8/12 11:53 pm - Belleville, Canada
TGIF !!!

I thought I would upload a few photos to my profile(still can't post photos) .

Although I post very infrequently, I read daily and appreciate all the great information and support this community has given me over the last 2 1/2 years.

Here's my journey:

I started my journey in June 2010(257lbs) and started making small changes and went to my doctor to discuss my referral to the bariatric registry.

I had my surgery 10 months later in May 2011, starting weight 241. I lost 12 pounds on 2 weeks of Optifast. I actually liked Opti and survived during Easter.

I am a Registered Dental Hygienist and took 4 weeks to recover and learn how to eat and drink all over again.

I started walking and signed up for a 10k walk/run in June. Which I completed in 3 hours. I then began running 3-4 days a week and ran my first half marathon in Oct 2011. At that point I had lost 70 lbs. I continued to ran and started personnel training 1x week and 1 hot yoga class per week. Last month I ran my 2nd County Marathon. Unfortunately I only was able to run 7 Km, due to a hip injury!!!(I over trained and hurt my self 2 weeks before the race. So caution to your runners out there, listen to your body and don't go crazy! In jan 2012 in met my goal of 150lbs.
I take my vitamins religiously and never drink with my meals. I was very strict the first year wi what I put in my mouth. I have had the odd drink and the odd desert(except during Halloween....) I have never dumped but did feel terrible a few times and vomited early on when I ate too fast but I have learned to eat slow and savour what you eat cause its not too much!

Today, I weight 139lbs and maintain a active life style. My 9 year son came for a little 5 km run with me last night and he said to me..," mom, maybe we can do a marathon together". I started to cry and told him one day we could do that. This is what life is all about, being able to enjoy it Keith your family and be healthy.

I must say I have had it easy as far as I've never really had any troubles with any complications. I can pretty much eat all foods but continue to track my daily intake fans allow myself a balanced diet. I did go a little crazy during Halloween and ate far too much candy. My stomach rebelled and reminded me that I should be careful. I had awful painful cramps for a few days. So last week I went back to basics and eliminated sugar, starchy carbs and ate protein. Veggies and fruit and drank only water. I feel so much better and this was a good reminder that we need to be diligent the rest of our lives to remain healthy and strong!

In April I will be turning 50 and my family and friends will help me celebrate in BARBADOS!!!

I love my RNY!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Sandy

Sent referral July2010 to HRRH, Info session Dec 2,2010, Meeting with surgeon Jan26/11,Feb2/11 GBC/Dt/SW/(Dr Glazer) Mar 23/11, Surgery 04/05/11, 10 lbs below goal!

Monica9811
on 11/8/12 11:57 pm - Peterborough, Canada

Thanks for sharing and congratulations!  Your success story is an inspiration to all of us newbies who are just beginning this journey!!  Have a wonderful weekend!

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/12 11:59 pm - Straford, Canada

Welcome to the half century club (almost)!  angry  Thanks for your post!  Inspiring!  Got a tear reading about your son's question!  kiss

Monica9811
on 11/9/12 12:00 am - Peterborough, Canada

Great pics by the way!  You look amazing!  You have a lovely family too!

niceeyes72
on 11/9/12 12:07 am - Cornwall, Canada
RNY on 03/23/12

I really enjoyed reading your post, thank you for sharing it, now...to go check out your pics!! kiss

Tam
Highest Weight: 365lbs
Clinic Weight: 325lbs
Clinic goal:190 lbs
Current Weight: 176.4lbs
My goal:165lbs
Surgery: Dr. Yelle Ottawa on March 23, 2012

ShallowGirl
on 11/9/12 12:08 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

Great work, thanks for posting.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Btrue2u
on 11/9/12 12:12 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/20/12

Wow what a great job you have done ...you look amazing.  You have lots to be proud of . 

20AUG12-8AM SURGERY AT ST.JOES IN TORONTO  W/ DR SMITH                        

dawnwilli2012
on 11/9/12 12:27 am

Truly inspiring story, especially for those of us who are only one week out of surgery such as I am!!!  Thanks so much for sharing, I really enjoyed the read of your journey! 

kellybelly333
on 11/9/12 12:29 am - Toronto, Canada

Congrats!! Great post!!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Hockeymom73
on 11/9/12 12:32 am
RNY on 11/21/12

Congrats !!!  You are an inspiration to us all.  Enjoy Barbados.  You will fall in love with the island!  :)

HW: 400.5 CW: 251.0 GW: 199

Most Active
Recent Topics