OT (Going to Disney Pre-Op)

KAT_P
on 10/2/12 2:38 am - Canada
RNY on 06/05/13
We've been planning to take our kids to Disney for the Christmas break this December.  My husband and I have never been there or travelled anywhere really.   It's also my 40th b-day in Dec.  

Our oldest girl is 13 and I've been promising her for years now.  The other two girls are 9 and 5. So this year we finally have the money saved.   However, I'm wondering at 265 pounds if I will be able to keep up with the walking and actually fit on any rides and if I'll just be sorry that I went.  I want this to be special for them and they're excited to go.  But I don't want to be a downer and get there and regret going.

My surgery is not until at least June of 2013. I'm going through Ottawa and my orientation was July 2012.

Has anyone been to Disney and have any experiences to share on being obese and still having a good time?

Ottawa Referral:June 1, 2012 ~ Information Session:July 6, 2012~ Sleep Study: July 6, 2012  Nurse:December 12, 2012~ Social Worker and Dietician:February 5, 2013 ~ Ultrasound: March 15, 2013Nutrition class: March 27, 2013 ~ Surgeon Consult: April 4, 2013 (Dr. Mamazza) ~ Surgery: June 5, 2013 (Dr. Mamazza) ~ Plastic Surgery: March 10, 2015 (Fleur-de-Lis Tummy Tuck)

brockliebeans
on 10/2/12 2:49 am
hi there, my hubby and i just took our 13 year old to disney aug.2012 it is the most amazing trip ever.. it truely is the happiest place on the planet.. i weighed 285 but am physically able to walk every where i just made sure i wore my good running shoes with my orthotics in them.. and i had no problem.. i also remember having the same concerns and you have nothing to worry about.. u will fit on all rides. some rides i went  myself and my hubby and daughter rode together but most all rides she rode with me.and when i came home 2 days later is when i started my opti fast.. i am so excited for you and your family .. disney truely is the happiest place on earth.. so just enjoy
Mom_of_Mack
on 10/2/12 3:36 am - Arnprior, Canada
Here is a great link: http://allears.net/tp/rdszmk.htm

My family and I went last year and this website let me check out all the rides prior to going (pictures and descriptions).  Have a great vacation.

Cheers,
K
Chanelle1022
on 10/2/12 4:10 am
I went to disney and I was /am 40lbs heavier than you are.. it was awesome, just make sure to drink ALOT of water to keep hydrated from all the walking, take breaks if you need to and most importantly.. HAVE FUN!!! I was good for all the rides no problem :)- i would ride them with my ex who was 6'1 and 190lbs.

There are great rides that give good breaks for your feet like, the ride in futureworld in the magic kingdom, its a train type thing above the park that rides around futureworld and moves slowly- awesome feet break, as is the mexico boat ride in epcot lol.

Have fun !!!

referral: October 18,2011 orientation: January 6,2012 np: July 11,2012
abdominal u/s: August 8,2012 psych: August 16,2012 nut/behav: August 27,2012
endoscopy: September 28,2012 follow up with dietician:October 1st,2012 surgery class:9 am, October 31,2012 meet the surgeon:November 13th,2012 Optifast start: Dec 3rd, 2012SURGERY by Dr. Yelle : December 24! 

Patm
on 10/2/12 4:32 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
I went at about your weight. Sore feet but had lots of fun. Had a day in the water park and did the lazy river to cool off and give the walking a break.

KAT_P
on 10/2/12 4:44 am, edited 10/2/12 4:44 am - Canada
RNY on 06/05/13
Thanks ladies! Your responses have made me feel sooo much better. And thanks for the website - it's great information.  I was reluctant to go because I don't want to embarass my kids by not fitting in a ride and having to get out of line. I've been to Canada's WL and luckily somehow got the seatbelt strapped in a few of the kids' rides when I had to ride with my youngest - but it was very close.

I am able to walk longer distances if I have good flat shoes on. So hopefully it will all be ok.

Ottawa Referral:June 1, 2012 ~ Information Session:July 6, 2012~ Sleep Study: July 6, 2012  Nurse:December 12, 2012~ Social Worker and Dietician:February 5, 2013 ~ Ultrasound: March 15, 2013Nutrition class: March 27, 2013 ~ Surgeon Consult: April 4, 2013 (Dr. Mamazza) ~ Surgery: June 5, 2013 (Dr. Mamazza) ~ Plastic Surgery: March 10, 2015 (Fleur-de-Lis Tummy Tuck)

Catw
on 10/2/12 5:51 am - Arnprior, Canada
Hi Kat,

I went in January 2011, and at the time I was probably about 340lbs give or take.  I walked with everyone in my family (Hubby, 3year old and 6 year old at the time) and even climbed the Swiss Family Robinson tree (my in-laws were there for a day too).  And went on a number of rides.  I had a ball.  Hoping to go again in a couple years if I can save for it.  I didn't need a seatbelt extender, but it was tight.  Looking forward to having room in my seat and not worrying about how many people are in my row

When we went, we stayed on a Disney Resourt.  The magical express, and bussing to all the parks was worth it.  The kids loved the resort almost as much as the parks.  When you go, it's worth using a travel agency.  Do the research to prepare before you go, but get the agent to do the booking for you.  And if you want Character Restaurants, best to book 4 - 6 months early, so you will need to do some planning ahead so you go to the park you have your reservation at.

Have fun!
Cathy

Niki L.
on 10/2/12 5:55 am, edited 10/2/12 5:57 am - Canada
RNY on 10/15/12
Oh hun you will be fine we go every year for 2 weeks and we are all over the place and i can keep up np go and have a great time if you need any tips ask away

https://www.google.ca/search?q=allears&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

http://www.wdwinfo.com/
hope they help great info on both be sure to book your dinning as soon as you can as the full up fast

ToNewBeginnings
on 10/2/12 6:51 am
I went a few month post-op.

I was able to move more but i had to really watch what I ate. We had meal plans and I couldn't fully take advantage. I couldn't drink with my meals and when the fabulous desserts came I couldn't have any.
I found that tough.

If you get a little tired I don't think your kids would mind if you sat out a ride or two.

Disney is wonderful with kids your age. You will have a blast!!

canadiannurse77
on 10/2/12 10:42 am - Canada
hello,
My family and I went to Disney 2 weeks ago, and I thought they same things as you:)....but not to worry most of the rides are cart like rides that are big enough for 2-3 people. And the thrill rides are POOH size as they like to call it....the only one that was tight was the aerosmith ride at hoolywood studios...but you'll still fit dont worry. As for walking i have feet issues and it is alot of walking and with the heat uggg....this is what I did I wore my runners with foot powder(so my feet wouldnt sweat..lol) and carried tylenol and water bottle.... the good thing is this time of year its cloudy and there is rain showers which helps...so just take your time and take breaks and you should be fine.
hopefully you have fun.....we had a great time,,take care
Most Active
Recent Topics