Been referred to Ottawa Hospital....Now What?

LeeLeewaysin
on 8/20/12 5:03 pm - Constance Bay, Canada
Hi Everyone,

I'm from Ottawa and have been recently referred to the Ottawa Weight Loss Clinic. Does anyone know how long it takes to recieve a call back to see Dr. Dent? Its been 2 weeks, albeit not that long yet....I just want to know what to expect.

Thanks,

Orientation: September 21, 2012 Nurse: March 26, 2013 Behaviorist 1st Appt: May 1, 2013, Behaviorist 2nd Appt & Nutritionist: June 18, 2013, Meet Dr. Mamazza Sept 16, 2013 Surgery November 20, 2013

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/12 5:29 pm - Canada
i was referred to the ottawa clinic back in december 2010 got my first appointment in january 2011 but you wont likely see dr. dent i was first seen by dr. shaul ( i think i misspelled that) but after that appointment i had the info class in april. And then the nutricionist, the behaviorist, the psych exam, the endoscopy, the baseline ecg, blood work, the the surgery info session. Then and only then will you meet one of the surgeons. I met dr. Raiche, she was great. Im now on day 4 of optifast and will have my surgery somewhere near the end of september. Thats i think 21 months. Thats why we call ot a journey, but its worth it. Good luck on yours : )
LeeLeewaysin
on 8/20/12 5:42 pm - Constance Bay, Canada
Wow that really seems like a long time in comparison to others who had surgery in ottawa. Thanks for all your info and for sharing your experience. Good luck finishing your optifast:-)

BrigitteD
on 8/20/12 5:53 pm - Sumerstown, Canada
Now you wait and wait lol.  Good luck on your journey! Check out my timeline!

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

LeeLeewaysin
on 8/20/12 6:00 pm - Constance Bay, Canada
Oh My, Oh My....that is some wait/time line for Ottawa! If you elect to have surgery in Toronot are you looking at the same wait times?

Thanks for your reply and for sharing your info as well.

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/12 5:52 pm - Canada
i am not sure but i think the average wait time from referral to surgery is around a year and a half. But you would be better off asking some of the many post-ops we have on here. They are very informative about anything you need to know.
Diana B.
on 8/20/12 5:55 pm
RNY on 07/20/12
I was referrred to Dr. Dent in December 2010. After discussing my history and going over my options, he sent in my referral for WLS (to the central registry). I didn't hear anything until March 2011 when I was invited to the information session. I don't think I was seen again until January 2012 and that was with Dr. Dent (I guess that qualified as my APN appt). He ordered an abdominal ultrasound and answered any questions I had. My next appointments were with the behaviorist and dietitian in February 2012. In April or May 2012 I attended the pre-op education class. In late June 2012 I had an appointment with the surgeon and then I was called the next day with my surgery date, which was less than 3 weeks later.

The wait was hard for me basically because I had made up my mind that I wanted WLS and I am not the most patient person. But it did give me a lot of time to learn as much as I could about life after WLS. I also got to know myself a lot better, realizing what my issues were and recognizing what triggered me to over-eat. This message board and the people on it are awesome.

Welcome and best of luck!!
Referral Sent to Ottawa WMC December 16th 2010
Info Session/First Appointment March 25th 2011
Surgical Assessment January 3rd 2012
Dietitian and Behaviourist February 15th 2012
Abdominal Ultrasound May 8 2012
Surgical Education Class June 13 2012
Surgeon Appointment June 28 2012
SURGERY!!!!! July 20 2012

LeeLeewaysin
on 8/20/12 6:05 pm - Constance Bay, Canada
Thanks! Ok, I guess it is a much longer wait than I anticipated. Thats discouraging to hear, however I suppose I can use that time to prepare myself in more ways than one:-)

cutekatie
on 8/20/12 11:35 am, edited 8/20/12 11:36 am
RNY on 05/16/12
Welcome.  My parents live in Maclaren's Landing - a few beaches over from you.

Anyways if you have been referred to the Weight Loss Clinic you MIGHT not have been put into the Ontario registry. You can be referred to the WLC to see Dr. Dent (or the other doctor who I don't know their name) and get assistance with losing weight loss yourself or doing the 26 week program they offer.

I would check to see if indeed you have been referred to the Ontario Bariatric Registry which is the list you want to be on to get surgery.  The answers given already are all in regards to the surgery, not just being referred to Dr. Dent.

ADDED - I called in June of 2011 to see Dr. Dent and was given an appointment right away to see him in July. He was the one that referred me to the Ontario registry and I went from there.

(I hope I am making sense.)

Katie

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

cheeky_monkey
on 8/20/12 7:37 pm - Ottawa ON, Canada
I'm in Ottawa. My surgery is on Monday Aug 27.  You can see from my timeline what the wait times were.

Good luck!!

Referral:  April 2011 <> OrientationOttawa July 15, 2011  <> Nurse:  April 16, 2012 <> Abdominal Ultrasound:  May 2, 2012 <> Behaviourist/Dietitian:  May 8, 2012 <> Education Class: July 11, 2012 <> Meet the Surgeon: July 31, 2012 <> Surgery Date: August 27, 2012

Most Active
Recent Topics