Regain post-op

slrm2m2
on 8/16/12 9:52 am - Canada
 I like to keep myself out of denial by reading about post-op regain.  Thought I would share some links about it if anyone is interested.....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1856611/

http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/weight-gain-after-gastric-bypass.html

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

Patm
on 8/16/12 10:02 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
The first article states  65- 80% do not gain back depending on where they started. The second mentions facts like support for helping and say that 50% will gain back about 8%. That is not a lot. although i do not want to gain, I think staying with support groups and making the changes tyhat triggered poor habits in the past should help.
I guess I want to look at the bright side

slrm2m2
on 8/16/12 10:19 am - Canada
 I don't think the stats are bad at all, but they do point to the need for long term (as in FOREVER) lifestyle change.  I'm almost 8 months out and so far its been easy, but I never want to forget that I need to be accountable for making good lifestyle choices every single day or else I am at risk for regain.  And I do hear that some people regain even when they do everything right.
Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

Bonnie ABC
on 8/16/12 4:52 pm - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
 Regain does happen even though we follow every rule.   Our body for the first year and a half malabsorbs.  After that it thinks "hey, something is wrong, we have to fix it".  And we absorb more than we did before.   Also old habits are hard to quit, I'm serious.  Things that took us to our top weight, will come in just like before.   Like said above, attend meetings, keep on here, and try to change your direction in life and coping skills now. 

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
ShallowGirl
on 8/16/12 7:20 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
I have a theory that maybe our intestines reorganize, to reduce malabsorbtion, and it takes them a year or two to do it.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Gabygee
on 8/17/12 5:19 am - Canada
Absolutely, I agree.

After the first year, when we lose so much (which Karen M once called the Honeymoon period) our intestines recognize that there is now a New Normal.
Where previously our bodies were in crisis/survival mode, now they realize, "Okay, I can still absorb nutrients - I just have to find them differently" and they therefore start using the ingested food more efficiently.

The downside? Yeah, you guessed it - we retain more of the absorbed nutrients.
Darn.

I have regained three pounds in the last two months. I don't intend to lose them again - I was getting a little too scrawny for my body size.
But I do intend to *TRY* to stay at this weight now.
Of course, that would mean working harder in the exercise department ... sigh.

sam1am
on 8/17/12 9:18 am
Your intestines don't reorganize, they grow new villi to re enable absorption (except for vitamins).

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

aprilflowers
on 8/17/12 7:43 am - Canada
RNY on 01/06/12
As someone who ate well and exercised and was obese pre-op, this is very disheartening.

I ate 1500 cals a day, worked out and was 260lbs for years. When malabsorption stops (didn't know it did), I'm F***ed. :(
Most Active
Recent Topics