Exact Brand Protein Powder

Catw
on 7/16/12 10:46 pm - Arnprior, Canada

I was at No Frills last night, getting a few groceries, and I noticed that they had Protein Powder (Chocolate, Vanilla and unflavoured).  And I was wondering if anyone had tried them at all?  I'm asking as it was only $23.99 as opposed to $44.
I think that it was 130 Calories, 1 gram sugar, and 35 grams of protein.

Just wondering about other people's experiences with it before I bought some.

Cathy

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/16/12 11:49 pm - Windsor, Canada
 I'm guessing it's also composed of cheaper protein rather than whey protein isolate.  
sometimes that accounts for discrepancies in prices. 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Catw
on 7/17/12 12:09 am - Arnprior, Canada
I know it was Whey Protein, not sure about Whey Protein Isolate (if there is a difference).  If there is a difference, would it make much for us post op?

Is 130 cal too high for us?  Just wondering if I dare try, or just forget it.  I'm not one big for milky protein shakes (tummy's not always fond of milk), but was wanting to try making a smoothie for breakfast with protein in it.  And I've seen a few recipes that looked intersting that calls for protein.

Cathy

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/17/12 12:51 am, edited 7/17/12 12:51 am - Windsor, Canada
 130 calories is good.   

Whey and whey isolate are both good quality proteins.  They are different though in that isolate is more easily digested.

Whey Protein Isolate powders go through a filtering process to remove fat and carbohydrates (lactose)  In general, these powders will contain a higher percentage of protein compared to Whey Protein Concentrate - generally around 90% protein. 

Because they are filtered, they go through more processing -- that's why you pay more.   As well because they are broken down, they are very quickly absorbed by the body - requires less processing by your body so the protein delivery is quick.   (bioavailability). 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Catw
on 7/17/12 3:38 am - Arnprior, Canada
Thanks Dawn, I'll look more closely next time I'm in.  Probabl just Whey protein, but I can hope.

Cathy
Blu-Diva
on 7/17/12 12:31 pm - Hamilton, Canada
Great Info. Thanks too. 

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

Mary A.
on 7/18/12 2:48 am
also..you should go for a low carb variety....after about 25-28 (ballpark figure)..anything higher than in regards to protein is not absorbed. and expelled being a waste of $$$.

remember you shouldn't be looking at cost necessarily, you should be looking at what fills your needs and requirements the best.  

I am almost sure that if you compared the two..your $23.99 one is lacking or higher in many things you don;t want it to be in.

remember you get what you pay for

(the following is a reliable nutritional sound brand based on it's spec's..I don't personally use it..I use IsoPro Low Carb from GNC...it's about $36

http://www.bariatricfusion.com/mealrep.php

(lengthy article following but some good key points)

http://nutrition.otago.ac.nz/__data/assets/file/0005/4784/Ba riatricNutritionReading.pdf

http://voices.yahoo.com/comparison-unflavored-protein-powder s-gastric-10936002.html

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics