feels good to pay it forward

Joyce J.
on 7/12/12 2:13 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi everyone
I haven't posted much lately. I do read everyday when I can though
I have been given an extra caseload for the summer at work so I am super busy. Makes the days fly by

Anyway, today I had a client who my heart just went out to(I get lots lol, but for different reasons).
This lady is very much overweight. She struggled to sit in the chair in my office.
She told me that last year she had asked her doctor to tie her tubes, but he wouldn't because of her weight so he put in an iud. Well, she got pregnant and didn't know she was pregnant until almost 6 months into the pregnancy. She has a 19 year old, 17 year old, 12 year old and a 3 year old so didn't want any more children.
She had her baby in Dec, had many complications and was not certain the baby would be healthy because Mom was on a lot of medication not knowing she was pregnant.

So.......................... I do not make a habit of this lol, but I showed her my before and after/now pics and told her about my surgery and told her I understand her struggles(not the kids part so much since I don't have any LOL)
I printed off the number for the bariatric registry and she was almost in tears thanking me
She said nobody understands, everyone just assumes she eats too much, she said most days she is so busy she doesn't eat til she gets home at night
She would love to be more active with her 3 year old and of course this precious "meant to be" baby she had in Dec
She is going to call today, she is aware she has to wait. She thought she had to pay for the surgery.
It made me feel so good to pass this information on to her
Anyway, sorry for the long story, I just wanted to share this
I also gave her this website to check out. I hope she does.

Have a great day
Joyce

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

ToNewBeginnings
on 7/12/12 2:34 am
Nice Joyce. I hope you were the start of her changing her life for the better!

Patm
on 7/12/12 2:40 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
I hope she is able to get through quickly. She appears to need the help. Perhaps she will consider trying one of the support groups before her surgery.

Catw
on 7/12/12 2:43 am - Arnprior, Canada
Great work Joyce.  It's always great when we can help others.

Cathy

birdiegirl
on 7/12/12 2:48 am

You are just a genuinely nice person Joyce

Jason W.
on 7/12/12 2:53 am - Canada
I love stories like this. So many people struggle with their weight. I have several obese clients, some morbid obese, and 1 guy pushing over 500lbs. They see my progress and want to know "my secret".

I share my story to those that I feel comfortable with. A lot of people never heard of the bariatric program. Surprising how many family doctors are clueless of the program also.

You would think with a patient who has extreem difficulty losing weight and a whole list of co-morbidities, the family doctor would know enough about the program.

I think family doctors are way too busy in their own field, that they lose touch with what is offered in other programs......
Orientation Jan 8 2012   Group Nut/Surgery Class Jan 23 2012
1st Surgeon Meeting Feb 2 2012    Dr. Glazer Feb 9 2012
Social Worker Feb 23 2012    Psych/Nut/Nurse Mar 8 2012
2nd Surgeon Meeting Mar 28 2012    Optifast April 18 2012 
RNY Surgery May 9 2012
  Now if I could only grow an ass.....

Chanelle1022
on 7/12/12 3:10 am
This story warms my heart and I am thankful to you for having shared it :)
Monica M.
on 7/12/12 3:28 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
this story makes me emotional, Joyce. I love it when this happens. Sometimes i just want to go up to people in the street and share my story with them. I was speaking with the transplant coordinator (i'm in the process of seeing if i'm suitable for giving my niece a kidney) and the woman told me that she has a recipient currently needing WLS so she'll be more suitable to receive a kidney, and i told her to give her my name and contact info. I hope she does. I want to be a part of saving someone's life and dignity.

thank you for sharing this with us!

northernlight
on 7/12/12 3:30 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Bless your heart Joyce, for reaching out to help this poor lady! You may be the person who starts her on her journey to a new, healthier and happier life! I really hope that she follows through with it and is successful. Thanks for sharing this with us, Joyce!

Deb

Allaryanna
on 7/12/12 3:36 am - Belleville, Canada
RNY on 02/09/12
 What a wonderful story and great that you felt comfortable sharing yours with her.
I understand her feelings.  Funny how somehow it is imprinted into us that we should feel shame for being overweight.  If a cure was found for any other long term debilitating health issue people would be glad to advocate for and to others.  
Why not for a tool to combat obesity which statistics indicate is a growing epidemic and leads to so many other health issues.  It is a medical issue what ever the reason we each have for it.  

Just annoys me the looks and comments I get when I mention I have had WLS.  Although those close to me now realize it is not the "easy" way out.  But a hard choice with lots of work required.

Kay done ranting....

You are an angel joyce and my new hero of the week.  

D

Referral: January 2010     Orientation: Dec 2010      1st Appt's : April 26/2011       Surgery : Feb 9 / 2012      

Starting Weight:  265   Surgeons Goal : 187lbs    Personal Goal: 150lbs 

Most Active
Recent Topics