Surprised..... still

narhik
on 5/31/12 6:59 am - Ontario, Canada
I never thought that after 4 years I could still get so angry when I talk about my weight loss surgery with someone and get greeted with the...... Did you not try dieting? Wasn't that a drastic move? What about the messages you are sending your kids about body image but having surgery?

Today I thought I was having a conversation with a co-worker who was understanding and empathic and took the risk in being honest about having weightloss surgery. I was use to the judgement and having to defend my decision early out but this floored me being so long in my journey.

How can people still be so ignorant and judgemental to the challenges of fighting everyday with weight issues and struggles. Even after sharing bits of my story and the success I have had I was still looked at that this is the easy way out when we all know it is the toughest and hardest journey of our lives.

I think that it is unfortunate that there is still such a negative opinion and view of surgery when obviously it is not a decision that people make lightly. This has definitely taught me that I need to still challenge individuals thought patterns even if I chose to not disclose something that I am proud and greatful for even with the struggles I have had.

Thanks for letting me vent,

Kerry
Vi-Vi
on 5/31/12 7:20 am
VSG on 12/13/12
 Hi Kerry,
I guess there will always be ppl who have never had a weight problem who will never understand!    
This is why I don't tell everyone yet.  Maybe post-op I'll change my mind but I don't need to hear all of that!  
Take it with a grain of salt!
tango123
on 5/31/12 7:29 am
Ignorance is bliss. Let them think it's the easy way out, you know how had you have worked. By staying healthy years after will just prove her wrong in the end while she continues to climb the weight scale and be envious of your loveliness.
I had a co-worker whom I had many conversations with about the surgery and all the working out I do, for her to turn around and have her say "why are so many people getting gastric bypass" they should should just get off their ass and work out"
Needless to say, she works out like mad and can't loose and inch so I know she is just jealous. I just make sure when I am wearing a very body hugging outfit to walk by her several times to show off. Two can play that game.
Brenda T.
on 5/31/12 7:30 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
Sorry you had a person like that. People don't tend to
understand what other people go thru unless they have been
through it themselves.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

narhik
on 5/31/12 9:05 am - Ontario, Canada
Thanks for letting me vent and obviously this is something we all unfortunately go through. Individuals need to become more educated around the challenges and obstacles that we need to overcome in order to be approved and the hard work we have to deal with everyday to be successful.

Kerry
ruth63
on 5/31/12 9:22 pm - aurora, Canada
You have just recomfirmed why I will tell only my family and a few friends.  I just knew it that others are stupid and narrowminded and I don;t need a lecture.  A good person to avoid
Your a winner, wow, 4 yrs. out and i am guessing keeping all the weight off.  Great for you!!
aprilflowers
on 5/31/12 11:19 pm - Canada
RNY on 01/06/12
You know what really really E-N-R-A-G-E-S me? The whole notion that fat people are fat because they're weak and gorge on food. Like fat people are the only people to use food for more than fuel (re: my board about office buildings having weekly junk food orgies)

I always had skinny best friends. ANd people would always assume they were the healthy ones. One best friend I had smoked, ate mcdonald's daily and had absolutely no nutrition in her diet. I would treat myself to fast food, and guess who got all the stares in the fast food joint? Not the junkie, but me, the fatty. I worked really hard, and she was lazy. yet society made me feel like I wasn't good enough because I was fat.

Mostly, overweight people do what skinny people do, their metabolisms just don't let them 'get away with it', IMO. As a result, society treats them like sub-humans. I wasn't very old when I noticed that in cartoons with two villains; the skinny one was the smart cunning leader and the fat one was the goofy dummy. Or when I noticed that dating fat chicks in movies and tv was unheard of unless it was a joke (can't remember the movie, but a guy had to date a fat girl, and she wore poke-a-dots, and all his friends laughed at him). I really didn't see my place in society. Skinny girls see plenty of roles for them displayed (unfortuantely now it's all over-sexed) for for me, I only saw my role as a joke.

another thing, "Chubby Chaser?" Why is it when you date a girl who happens to be overwieght or happen to find an overweight girl attractive you're a chubby chaser? I had a friend with really bad acne, was her boyfriend accused of being a zit-popper junkie?

Overweight people are people who happen to be overweight. It's not a culture or species.

Sorry for ranting on your board:S

Most Active
Recent Topics