Be very careful with chewing gum

Joyce J.
on 4/28/12 8:08 am - Scarborough, Canada
Yes fellow RNYers chewing gum

I was told not to chew gum after my surgery because if you swallow it by accident and it blocks the opening of your pouch you could be in trouble.

This is the one thing that terrified me and I have not had any gum in over 6 years LOL

Anyway, one of my FB friends mentioned today that she accidentally swallowed some chewing gum and it has been a great feat to get it out.
It is still there and they might have scope it out I think she said. I think they basically have to dig it out..........................................
Some laugh at me when I say I never chew gum anymore LOL, but ..........

I wish they had have told me you can not eat carbs or else LOL

Have a great day all

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Blu-Diva
on 4/28/12 8:21 am - Hamilton, Canada
 All I can say is wow, I hope ur friend good luck,
That some serious stuff.
as for me thanks cause Iwont get gum Promise,
I get  my chewing on whale Im still on the Opyi fast.

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

Happysmile
on 4/28/12 9:59 am
Thanks for posting about chewing gum.
(deactivated member)
on 4/28/12 10:29 am - Toronto, Canada
 Believe it or not, the timing of your post is perfect.  I just chewed gum for the first time post-op today.  I know that they recommend that you don't do it and I was paranoid the whole time.  It tasted good and was a nice chewing distraction...but I'm not going to make a habit of it.  The possiblity of swallowing it just isn't worth it.  Thanks for the reminder!
(deactivated member)
on 4/28/12 11:09 am - Canada
Stories like these make me glad I hate gum. Odd thing is...I always have a pack in my bag. Not sure why I keep it.
sam1am
on 4/28/12 12:18 pm
I'm shocked that they are going to try to remove it!  I'm sure it would break down on its own eventually??   

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

the44plan
on 4/28/12 12:25 pm - Lake Huron
RNY on 07/13/12
Holly cow..  I never thought about the gum thing before!  I havent had my surgery yet and Im very glad I saw this post.  I never thought to ask anyone about gum either.   To be honest here, I do have a freaky  problem about swallowing my gum all the time.  My friends cant believe it and Ive tried many times not to completely eat it (especially if its Juicey Fruit).   Oh well, I guess gum will definately be one item that I will never chew again after WLS..   
Referral: Oct 2011   Surgery Date: HRRH July 13th (Friday) 2012        
Tammie

paparufus
on 4/28/12 8:52 pm
RNY on 01/31/12
I chew gum all the time.  Who swallows gum ?  Even accidentally ???

sam1am
on 4/28/12 11:09 pm
I've never swallowed a piece either, so I don't get it, but apparently a lot of people do!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Joyce J.
on 4/28/12 11:54 pm - Scarborough, Canada
Hi Sandy

Some people don't intentionally swallow gum, but sometimes it happens accidentally as did with my friend. I think she took a deep breath or something, not really sure of the details, but it wasn't intentional

Also, I guess it would break down eventually, but when no food or liquid is getting past it "eventually" wouldn't really work...................

Anyway, I just thought this might be helpful information for some

Have a great Sunday, beautiful and sunny here in T.O

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Most Active
Recent Topics